College Portfolio Help

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Portfolio Help

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

College Portfolio Help

These pictures (via Facebook) are some sketches that I am working on to enter in my CCS portfolio.
    I'm no Da Vinci when it comes to these, (I know some of them may look skewed) please constructive criticism only.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=28ba89303a
    Hidden Content
    Present Ride: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS: 80,000 Miles

Past Rides:
    2002 Buick Park Avenue: 224,600 Miles
    1996 Buick Riviera: 188,800 Miles
    1995 Pontiac Trans Sport: 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 12-6-2017

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

Re: College Portfolio Help

You're not quite ready- it's VERY competitive there.
    Practice your guts out...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

Quote Originally Posted by balthazar View Post
    You're not quite ready- it's VERY competitive there.
    Practice your guts out...
    I was scared to death on the ride up there, just from seeing the informational booklet that they sent me. After touring campus, and meeting with a few professors, I was calmed a tad.
    I know how cut-throat they are there, but when ever the anxiety creeps up on me about not being good enough to get in, I think about what one of the main admissions officers said "As long as you show a basic knowledge in art, and a strong will to learn and progress, you still have strong chances at getting in. Because we have professors that take you from drawing stick figures to beating Rembrandt at his own game."
    I have a binder of over 100 "2D" drawings from my freshman year of highschool, these drawings posted here are a HUGE step up, lol.
    Hidden Content

Past Rides:

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

I applied to Art Center College of Design (similar to CSS) using work similar to what I've posted on these boards and they didn't accept me. I could have gotten in though, they made recommendations on what they wanted to see and let me send another portfolio (apparently I didn't have enough marker renderings), but at that time I had decided that the nearly $250k in costs was simply not worth it.

I hate to say it but I think you will realize this too, unless of course you have access to the small fortune required to graduate from one of these schools, and have the drive to finish at the top of your class in order to get those few car design jobs. I know plenty of people with amazing skills who still couldn't get car design jobs after graduating, and ended up designing everything from toys to ATVs.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

I have seen a few Transpo. Design Portfolios, and one of them isn't much better than what I am doing. But all the others are AMAZING! Again, I try to keep motivated by what I was told (stated above). The nice thing about CCS is that the automakers come and critique/assist students, and usually after they graduate they either intern or work for the company that they came into contact with at CCS.
    Plus CCS only runs about $34k a year.
    Last edited by 96RIV; 12-29-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Bluntness
    Hidden Content

Past Rides:

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

>>"I know how cut-throat they are there."<<
    Do you? When I was there, CCS only graduated about 1 in 10 admitted freshmen.
    So first you have to get in, then you have to get through.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

Quote Originally Posted by balthazar View Post
    >>"I know how cut-throat they are there."<<
    Do you? When I was there, CCS only graduated about 1 in 10 admitted freshmen.
    So first you have to get in, then you have to get through.
    I didn't know the statistic, but I did know that they try (really hard) to break you so that they can separate the strong from the weak.
    Hidden Content

Past Rides:

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

^ You would think that's what the admission process was for.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 536 Posts
    My Ride
    16 ATS 3.6 05 Rainier 81 Vette

I applied and was accepted to Art Center based on my portfolio and not my experience. I concentrated on math/science in high school because I was so "smart" and that's what everyone expected. Yet in my free time I always played with my Matchbox cars and Lego and designed houses and doodled cars. I never recognized my innate design abilities, despite (or because?) my father and uncle were Art teachers and there was a strong family history in art/design.

I was so determined, yet did not have any material for a portfolio, that I signed up for some art classes at a local college. After two semesters of night school, I felt I was prepared enough. My portfolio consisted of some pencil renderings of cars but I also included other work to show an overall design asthetic, including some sculpture and other challenging projects (eg: I designed and built a scale model of a lounge chair made entirely from one piece of 4x8 plywood-no screws/nails/glue).

IMO these schools aren't looking for someone who can execute line drawings of cars (that's what they will teach you!). They want to see someone with a raw talent, a sense of design, that "je ne sais quoi", that they can mold into the next class of designers.

I don't think you should be discouraged - instead consider it an ultimate challenge. Networking is a good tool (I corresponded with Chuck Jordan). Perhaps you could seek guidance from an art/design instructor at a junior college to help you prepare? Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2009 G6 GXP (Love/Hate/RIP), 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

Quote Originally Posted by rockyspaw View Post
    I applied and was accepted to Art Center based on my portfolio and not my experience. I concentrated on math/science in high school because I was so "smart" and that's what everyone expected. Yet in my free time I always played with my Matchbox cars and Lego and designed houses and doodled cars. I never recognized my innate design abilities, despite (or because?) my father and uncle were Art teachers and there was a strong family history in art/design.

I was so determined, yet did not have any material for a portfolio, that I signed up for some art classes at a local college. After two semesters of night school, I felt I was prepared enough. My portfolio consisted of some pencil renderings of cars but I also included other work to show an overall design asthetic, including some sculpture and other challenging projects (eg: I designed and built a scale model of a lounge chair made entirely from one piece of 4x8 plywood-no screws/nails/glue).

IMO these schools aren't looking for someone who can execute line drawings of cars (that's what they will teach you!). They want to see someone with a raw talent, a sense of design, that "je ne sais quoi", that they can mold into the next class of designers.

I don't think you should be discouraged - instead consider it an ultimate challenge. Networking is a good tool (I corresponded with Chuck Jordan). Perhaps you could seek guidance from an art/design instructor at a junior college to help you prepare? Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Excuse me, but would you happen to be my twin? My grandpa was an artist, and his job was adding art to the books and leaflets produced by Our Sunday Visitor...

I took engineering classes the past 3 years, and everybody figured that I would do that, but I have always loved cars. I would always doodle cars and houses, I have even tried my hand at cruise ships, I have over 400 matchbox/hot wheels. Also, I have been in contact with a lady at GM who works at the Tech Center, and I'm hoping that she could let me talk the ear off of a designer, and get some help with my artwork.
    I signed up for ceramics, and a digital art class this year, and am planning on adding some of those pieces into my portfolio. I have talked with my admissions counselor, and she thinks that I am on the right track, and she showed me some examples, and gave me some suggestions, which is a great help. I have a few more things to try, then I wil start final work on my portfolio.

And to add about them trying to break students during their freshman year, I'm just the kind of stubborn person where that would p*** me off soo much that I will do anything to prove them wrong.
    Last edited by 96RIV; 12-31-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: computer error
    Hidden Content

Past Rides:

Thanks
    My Ride

In hindsight, I don't think Art Center was trying to "break" anyone. The deadlines for final projects were seemingly impossible, but the "all-nighters" were more about teaching dedication and commitment than trying to weed out the weak. It was an exhilarating time in which I learned much about the design industry as well as myself.
    Past Rides: 2009 G6 GXP (Love/Hate/RIP), 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 96RIV View Post
    Excuse me, but would you happen to be my twin? My grandpa was an artist, and his job was adding art to the books and leaflets produced by Our Sunday Visitor...
    BTW, my maternal grandfather used to paint billboards (before they were printed/wallpapered on) and taught me about the grid system - which I used to paint the Coca-Cola emblem and the Thunderbird logo on my bedroom wall. My paternal great-grandfather was a furniture designer/builder. My brother has some of his original designs for what would be considered Victorian-style furnishings. Very cool. Supposedly, he won a gold medal at the Pan American Expo in Buffalo in 1901. I just wish I could locate some of his pieces.

Thanks

The course aside, in my humble opinion (and after all, who the heck am I) I'd advise to ditch the ruler, you've taken an engineers approach to design, which frankly misses the point to a large degree. Your drawings need more flow and individuality, get a car magazine, sit a piece of paper over a larger photo and trace the wheels, mark out the headlights and maybe the windows and roof height, this helped me a lot in getting ideas on perspective when first taking on 3D. Keep at it, stretch your abilities and try new methods, and most importantly unhook from the ruled lines and give the drawings some soul and go beyond approaching the task as drawing a 'car' find inspiration in nature/art/engineering/anywhere. Judge my experience as you will, but pay more attention to the drawings, I've drawn pages of basically random lines, just to test how certain intersections etc might work you have to get more detailed and more inspired... think Sydney Opera house, not local school hall. Also, try extremes, draw a very aggressive supercar, and a humble people mover, then try an aggressive people mover and a humble supercar.

This is about as arty and hippie as I get by the way.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Joe88 View Post
    The course aside, in my humble opinion (and after all, who the heck am I) I'd advise to ditch the ruler, you've taken an engineers approach to design, which frankly misses the point to a large degree. Your drawings need more flow and individuality, get a car magazine, sit a piece of paper over a larger photo and trace the wheels, mark out the headlights and maybe the windows and roof height, this helped me a lot in getting ideas on perspective when first taking on 3D. Keep at it, stretch your abilities and try new methods, and most importantly unhook from the ruled lines and give the drawings some soul and go beyond approaching the task as drawing a 'car' find inspiration in nature/art/engineering/anywhere. Judge my experience as you will, but pay more attention to the drawings, I've drawn pages of basically random lines, just to test how certain intersections etc might work you have to get more detailed and more inspired... think Sydney Opera house, not local school hall. Also, try extremes, draw a very aggressive supercar, and a humble people mover, then try an aggressive people mover and a humble supercar.

This is about as arty and hippie as I get by the way.
    couldn't agree with this more. I agree so much in fact I don't know what else to say. One thing I may suggest, find a school or program with Industrial Design. It's a very broad design field, but still is a gateway to automotive design, but it also provides a better backup option just incase it doesn;t work. I personally entered college wanted to do cars. My dad, grandfather, and his dad have all worked for GM. But the more you look into it, the harder you realize it is to get into the auto design field.. and the ID programs will open your mind and get you thinking outside of the car box, which in turn will help your drawings, designing, and thinking regardless of what it is you do.. including cars.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

One exercise we used to do was '60-second' car sketches (which is literally what is says)- great for 'loosening one up' and developing fluidity. As a perfectionist, those were an eye-opener for me. A lot of professional design sketches are quite loose, sometimes to the point you wonder what a manufacturer 'gets' out of them, but it's one more step in the long process that results in a production design.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information