Chevy PelEton. Get on board (now with paragraphs)!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chevy PelEton. Get on board (now with paragraphs)!

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Chevy PelEton. Get on board (now with paragraphs)!

Sorry if this is a bit late, I only saw the theme yesterday.
    This started out as a bit of a laugh but the more I thought about it, the better it sounded....sort of.

The Chevy PelEton
    Welcome to 2020 and the introduction of PelEton.com.

Run across the beautiful city of San Franciso, the Chevy PelEton is powered by the people. Sitting 2 abreast and three long, on removable hand-made carbon fibre pods from Aegis, riders pay an annual fee for membership on the city network.
    Each rider can determine the level of effort via adding or reducing resistance on the fly, of their individual pedal unit. Therefore they can pedal independent of the speed of the vehicle. Each rider can see, via a small PelEton LCD at the centre of each pair, their contribution in relation to other riders and power usage of the vehicle.

To aid in efficiency, the PelEton is made of an ultra light weight composite of reed, which is hand weaved in less fortunate countries, then heat pressed in resin, helping to provide a sustainable future.

The PelEton is introduced in concert with SFs latest investment in public transport infrastructure, the Generate Network. The Generate Network is a grid of charging points located across the city. Each point has a deposit of super capacitors housed below the street and coincides with bus stops as identified by signage. Interface between the PelEton and charge points is via contacts below the PelEton and on the street surface, which is activated by the PelEton remote pilot from SFs traffic control centre, the same way that SFís new Etrolleys operate.

In addition to rider generated energy and charge points, regenerative braking of the vehicle also contributes to the short range battery which is smaller than the commercially available personal vehicle, the Chevrolet Volt. When the PelEton generates more power than is required before the next charge point, the additional energy is deposited into the super capacitor. If there is no PelEton due before the minimum discharge time of the super capacitor, the energy is deposited back into SFs power grid. Likewise, if a charge is not available, it is taken from SFs grid.

Where normally, there would be a driver, there is a bench seat which is available to senior citizens and differently-abled persons whom have booked their seat via PelEton.com.

To create interest in the project, PelEton.com will be offering annual prizes for riders. When you ride the PelEton, your personally generated energy will be recorded by PelEton.com, with stats available on all your competitors. Weekly winners will be sent a Yellow jersey that you can wear during your journey for that week. There will be additional prizes each month such as free charges for your Chevrolet Volt, customised Aegis pods, custom compression suits and more!

The great thing is if you get together with colleagues and book a PelEton, because you arenít limited by set out bus routes, you can "race" your friends to work and get dropped off right at your office door.(conditions apply)

At the end of each year, online stats will not be available for the final week, as we hunt for SFs greatest rider, who will be awarded the Golden Gate award, comprising a unique pod, compression suit, riding shoes and Blue Tooth and iPod integrated helmet/visor, all in resplendent Golden Gate Bronze, as well as a trophy awarded to you by our new Mayor Escuro!

And donít forget, if you donít contribute, you canít ride.
    SF Chevy PelEton. Catch it if you can (tm).

I still crack myself up.
    Last edited by mikmak; 08-26-2008 at 05:14 AM.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 Fiesta ST Ingot Silver

Re: Chevy PelEton. Get on board!

If there's any justice in this world, everyone involved in destroying the buyers choice in cars, all in the name of environmentalism, will be forced to use this means of transport as soon as possible. When will this be replacing Al Gore's limos and chartered jets?

Thanks
    My Ride

Haha, finally someone got it. It was inspired by Southparks Hybrid episode where they were motivated by smugness to buy Hybrids. What better way to be seen as environmentally responsible than to be travelling around in the middle of the CBD, pedalling your little heart out during grid lock, in a bright yellow jersey no less. could you imagine your boss walking into your office in the full "Golden Gate Bronze" compression suit, helmet/visor and racing shoes, with his "pod" slung over his shoulder? I started with a concept, worked it a little and cranked the "look-at-me-o-meter" all the way up to SF.

Mind you, the super capacitors under specified charge points throughout the city has some merit (for 2020). With computer controlled release, electrically powered buses could go just about anywhere. Like wise, Chevy Volts could utilise drive through recharges whilst still in traffic.
    Last edited by mikmak; 08-15-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,798 Times in 1,417 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Haha, finally someone got it. It was inspired by Southparks Hybrid episode where they were motivated by smugness to buy Hybrids.
    I loved that episode.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks!
    And George Clooney's acceptance speech.

I also enjoyed the reference to Mayor Escuro.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak
    To aid in efficiency, the PelEton is made of an ultra light weight composite of reed, which is hand weaved in less fortunate countries, then heat pressed in resin, helping to provide a sustainable future.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    I started with a concept, worked it a little and cranked the "look-at-me-o-meter" all the way up to SF.
    Last edited by AndrewGS; 08-15-2008 at 10:23 AM.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

'IT' meets 'The Homer'. I love it!

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Chevy PelEton. Get on board (now with paragraphs)!

Damn! I forgot about the IT! Looks like there is some functionality that can be added in the second generation, after what is sure to be a very successful first season.

Still some seats available people. Get in quick!

Hidden Content

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information