Cadillac STS/STC - Four-door Coupe

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac STS/STC - Four-door Coupe

Thanks

Cadillac STS/STC - Four-door Coupe

My product placement strategy for Cadillac has two categories: Mainstream, the B, C, D, and E models, and Niche, the S and X models. The S-Line is based off of the imaginary LWB Sigma II platform like my DTS. It has two vehicles - the SRX, a luxury tourer, and the STS (or STC), a four-door coupe.

Four-door coupes are becoming extremely popular. With the Mercedes-Benz CLS entering its second generation and the Audi A7 on its way, a bold new opportunity opens up for Cadillac. The Deville and Seville were sister cars (at least from my point of view)...the Seville/STS being the athletic car and the Deville/DHS/DTS being the comfortable car.

Case in point: The new STS. An athletic four-door with the attributes of a midsize-large car with the soul of an Eldorado. Base engine is a twin-turbocharged version of GM's direct-injected 3.6L V6. STS-H pairs the standard 3.6L with a hybrid powertrain. STS-V throws in a turbocharged 6.0L V8.

Last edited by A.J.; 12-28-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Re: Cadillac STS/STC - Four-door Coupe

Sweet!

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 Times in 1,426 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Looks like it needs to be stretched a bit.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I like it, though I have a question. Is it supposed to be continuing the Art & Science design? If so, I would really like to see it have taillight fins. Also, shouldn't the front end be more "angular"? It looks too rounded. The door handles also look a bit on the large side.

Much better than I anything I can do. And I definitely like the idea of this "STC". Why, oh why, could Cadillac not call the CTS Coupe the CTC? I guess it makes too much sense.
    Chevrolet Malibu LTZ
    Hidden Content

Chevrolet Malibu LTZ
    The Heartbeat of America... that's today's Chevrolet

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,592 Times in 4,186 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    My product placement strategy for Cadillac has two categories: Mainstream, the B, C, D, and E models, and Niche, the S and X models. The S-Line is based off of the imaginary LWB Sigma II platform like my DTS. It has two vehicles - the SRX, a luxury tourer, and the STS (or STC), a four-door coupe.

Four-door coupes are becoming extremely popular. With the Mercedes-Benz CLS entering its second generation and the Audi A7 on its way, a bold new opportunity opens up for Cadillac. The Deville and Seville were sister cars (at least from my point of view)...the Seville/STS being the athletic car and the Deville/DHS/DTS being the comfortable car.

Case in point: The new STS. An athletic four-door with the attributes of a midsize-large car with the soul of an Eldorado. Base engine is a twin-turbocharged version of GM's direct-injected 3.6L V6. STS-H pairs the standard 3.6L with a hybrid powertrain. STS-V throws in a turbocharged 6.0L V8.

I do not see the Art and science. It looks more like this

Thanks

The constant comparisons of my drawings to cars that share very few if any characteristics to them is getting ridiculous...in both design sections of the forum. The only similarities that I see between my STS and the Altima are the headlights and -maybe- the foglamp cluster. It's really getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65
    Looks like it needs to be stretched a bit.
    The thing is, I actually used the shorter wheelbase at first, but halfway through I lengthened it to match my DTS's wheelbase. I kept the overhangs short, that's probably why it looks short.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothcat
    I like it, though I have a question. Is it supposed to be continuing the Art & Science design? If so, I would really like to see it have taillight fins. Also, shouldn't the front end be more "angular"? It looks too rounded. The door handles also look a bit on the large side.
    The overall design theme is similar to the A&S design language. The front end of the car (as well as the car in general) is really swept back. It's designed to be very sleek...it should sort of give you the "that's not your average Caddy" feeling.

As for the taillights, you should be seeing the "upside-down L" shape. The triangle formed near the top of the taillight (above the fuel door) is part of the fin shape. See a side profile of the CTS coupe for a similar shape.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

Thanks

The overall design theme is similar to the A&S design language. The front end of the car (as well as the car in general) is really swept back. It's designed to be very sleek...it should sort of give you the "that's not your average Caddy" feeling.

As for the taillights, you should be seeing the "upside-down L" shape. The triangle formed near the top of the taillight (above the fuel door) is part of the fin shape. See a side profile of the CTS coupe for a similar shape.
    Gotcha. I do see the L-shape you are referring to. It's not as pronounced (to my eye) as the design on the Converj, but from the sound of it, that is totally your doing to give it a more sleek design. I'm ok with that.

Another question: how would you feel about using "suicide" doors instead of traditional rear doors? I believe they have a gimmicky feel to some, but it could be a chance for Caddy to really stand out from the crowd if they implemented them the right way. But that's just my opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if many scoffed at the thought of using them on a Cadillac.
    Chevrolet Malibu LTZ
    Hidden Content

Chevrolet Malibu LTZ

Thanks

Now this I like! Frameless windows and 2 by 2 seating à la VW CC? It's a very interesting car though, no "same sausage different cut" here.
    Last edited by CadiEldo67; 12-29-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothcat View Post
    Another question: how would you feel about using "suicide" doors instead of traditional rear doors? I believe they have a gimmicky feel to some, but it could be a chance for Caddy to really stand out from the crowd if they implemented them the right way. But that's just my opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if many scoffed at the thought of using them on a Cadillac.
    In my opinion, suicide doors only work when the rear door has a vertical or very near-vertical back edge, such as on the Rolls-Royce Ghost. It allows for a very clean opening where the only direction needed to open the door is around in a circle.

In this vehicle's case, it wouldn't work. On other Cadillacs? It's plausible.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

In my opinion, suicide doors only work when the rear door has a vertical or very near-vertical back edge, such as on the Rolls-Royce Ghost. It allows for a very clean opening where the only direction needed to open the door is around in a circle.

In this vehicle's case, it wouldn't work. On other Cadillacs? It's plausible.
    I see what you mean. Aesthetics is one thing, but obviously the door needs to be functional.

I am sort of new to photoshopping/chopping and to this section of GMI as a whole. So I hope this isn't breaking any "code" here, but I took your drawing and sort of implemented my ideas. Basically I stretched the hood, made a more pronounced "fin" with the taillight, and eliminated the B-pillar. I can't decide if it looks good (and could work as some sort of Caddy) or is a Cadillac ION.

Chevrolet Malibu LTZ
    Hidden Content

Chevrolet Malibu LTZ

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

A 4-door coupe is a natch for Caddy. The '80 to '85 Seville to me had a coupe-like style to it. So they should revisit that. They could also market it as the 4-door coupe with room others can't match.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothcat View Post
    I see what you mean. Aesthetics is one thing, but obviously the door needs to be functional.

I am sort of new to photoshopping/chopping and to this section of GMI as a whole. So I hope this isn't breaking any "code" here, but I took your drawing and sort of implemented my ideas. Basically I stretched the hood, made a more pronounced "fin" with the taillight, and eliminated the B-pillar. I can't decide if it looks good (and could work as some sort of Caddy) or is a Cadillac ION.

Your ideas are good, but ATS's original has a better overall size for a 4-door. If anything the whole thing needed just a slight stretch. Your rear doors are more like an Ion Quad Coupe or Rx-8. Not bad, but very Cadillac

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

I like it -I see a lot of the SRX in it.

also as Soothcat suggested... BIG TAIL LIGHT FINS please

I do think your door handles are a bit too big and need skrinkage!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

I love it! Your drawings have improved so much. The only issue I see is the mirror, it looks as though its folded into the car.

Again, AMAZING! Please keep posting!
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

Thanks

I like the first one but I think it would look so much better if it had either a lower roof or was stretched more
    Current:
    2016 Lincoln MKX 2.7 Reserve AWD

Former:
    2002 Ford Explorer Xlt V8 4x4
    2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
    2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD
    2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4
    2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
    2011 Chevy Cruze LT
    2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    2016 Lincoln MKZ AWD