build the 200X El Camino

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: build the 200X El Camino

Thanks
    Back in the day, '59 I think, Chevy took the Impala wagon and converted it to the cowboy caddilac in response to Ford's ungainly Ranchero. (I think the '60 El Camino is one of the the coolest looking cars ever made.) Since a front wheel drive truck would really suck, what rear wheel platform would do the trick today? Guys like me want a Grand Prix and a Colorado a the same time. Subaru has the Baja, but lets get serious. (e.g. Holden Ute)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Camaro & 2011 GTI
    Problem with RWD small "trucks" like the El Camino: They might not be popular here in New England because of virtual continuous snow in the winter. A RWD pickup needs even more sandbags to be placed in the back to keep control in the winter than a FWD pickup since the thing would go no where fast in snow without a lot of extra weight in the back ...

:kama:

Thanks
    Oh, I don't get back east much. I had no idea RWD pickups were so impractical. Your VW Rabbit pickup still doing ok then? By the way, I think was the Brentwood wagon, not Impala.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Camaro & 2011 GTI
    Then again, I've never driven a RWD pickup. LOL, yea, you're right, Rabbits are good in the snow. Maybe if there was a 4WD option then it would be okay. I'm just thinking from a selling standpoint.

Thanks
    is it just me, or does anyone else think that GM should turn back time and start using perimetre framed, RWD cars. they already have a crap load of truck platforms they can shank. swap the solid rear and leafs for IRS and coils, and we're in business. sure, it might rattle a bit more, but i would guess it'd be affordable

but seriously, i think it should happen. :mf_boff:

Thanks
    GMC El Cabrito

3eb
    Thanks
    [QUOTE]is it just me, or does anyone else think that GM should turn back time and start using perimetre framed, RWD cars. they already have a crap load of truck platforms they can shank. swap the solid rear and leafs for IRS and coils, and we're in business. sure, it might rattle a bit more, but i would guess it'd be affordable [QUOTE]

rattles are completely unacceptable in today's car industry. it is things like rattles and low build quality that got GM into the whole they're digging themselves out of right now.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information