Buick Grand National

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buick Grand National

Thanks
    ...i had a little epiphany and thought i'd see if it worked...i think it did.
    i believe buick is a much more appropriate brand for the round shape of the monaro.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    wow- that looks really nice... Good idea.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy
    Nice looking headlights clean and simple. I prefer the GTO and am glad Lutz made the decision to have a GTO instead of a Grand National.
    Interesting you are using the HSV as the basis for your concept not the regular Monaro? A GTO concept with using the HSV as a basis would look good as well.
    Both the GTO and GN are great nameplates from GM's past but the GTO is by far the greater icon. In addition a Grand National doesn't fit in Buicks lineup as a competitor to Lexus.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3eb
    Thanks
    your chop looks beautiful....it really surprised me with how nice and modern-buick it looks. however, i think it would make a better riviera than it would a GN. price this thing between 35 and 42K and i think it could be a winner, with that design especially.

Thanks
    Originally posted by 3eb@Dec 11 2003, 10:30 PM
    your chop looks beautiful....it really surprised me with how nice and modern-buick it looks. however, i think it would make a better riviera than it would a GN. price this thing between 35 and 42K and i think it could be a winner, with that design especially.
    if it's to be a real GN, put it out for under $30K, and make it a turbo Vortec 3900

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks
    I like it a lot, especially the idea.
    I'd make the headlights a little bigger, and the grille a little smaller.

Thanks
    thanks, everyone, for the input...

i agree that the gto is the "greater icon" in gm's history, canuck. again, this idea was based on my belief that the monaro's roundy body that has received criticism as a pontiac would work better as a buick. as a buick it would have a more timeless appeal by playing up the classy side of the existing shape's qualities.

maybe that's where 3eb's idea of making it the riviera comes in. i thought of that myself, but considering the mammoth power of the monaro in corvette-powertrain trim, i looked for the muscular name in buick's past. but riviera certainly works for me, too.

in any event, i think it would certainly help buick compete with lexus--and infiniti for that matter. when you consider the sc-430 and the g35 coupes, this is the sort of product that would put buick above and beyond, not merely "competing."

anyway, it's still just food for thought.

oh yea, i used the hsv instead of a gto pic because i think the lower front facia is more refined.

Thanks
    In addition a Grand National doesn't fit in Buicks lineup as a competitor to Lexus.
    Who are you trying to kid? there are plenty of lexus sport coupes....this would be a great addition to buicks lineup...especially since the regal is dead.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks
    I had done these concepts a while ago.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy
    Could a Monaro have been a Buick? Sure, but it is better as a GTO. The emotional response of bringing the GTO back and the media, public reaction and subsequent debate all equal free advertising. As to the "Sport" coupes from Lexus have a look. I don't see any Coupes
    ES 330
    From $32,350*
    5-Passenger Sedan
    V6, 5-Speed Automatic
    Front-Wheel Drive
    GS 430
    From $48,450*
    5-Passenger Sedan
    V8, 5-Speed Automatic
    Rear-Wheel Drive
    GS 300
    From $39,350*
    5-Passenger Sedan
    In-line 6, 5-Speed Automatic
    Rear-Wheel Drive
    IS 300 5-Speed
    From $29,980*
    5-Passenger Sedan
    In-line 6, 5-Speed Manual
    Rear-Wheel Drive
    IS 300 E-Shift
    From $31,350*
    5-Passenger Sedan
    In-line 6, 5-Speed Automatic
    Rear-Wheel Drive
    SC 430
    From $63,200*
    4-Passenger Convertible
    V8, 5-Speed Automatic
    Rear-Wheel Drive

If the SC 430 is a competitor to a Monaro based Buick GM would be insulting it buyers. I doubt the build quality and NVH would be comparable. The Monaro as a Pontiac was the correct decision. Infiniti is another story the G35 coupe is considerably less expensive than the Lexus SC.
    280 HP 3.5 liter (3,498cc) DOCH V6 engine $32,420
    6-speed manual transmission
    18" Aluminum Alloy Wheels
    or
    280 HP 3.5 liter (3,498cc) DOCH V6 engine $31,550
    5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode
    Could Lutz position Buick against Infiniti? Sure but he has set the bar higher. Lexus is above Infiniti in the market. Could a Buick based Monaro be changed in the same way the 350Z became the G35? Yes but not as an import remember the UAW.
    GM should create a Buick coupe but not on an old platform maybe start with the CTS platform instead.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chev454ls's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd buy one, that's pretty nice.
    '97 GTP
    '65 Impala Convertible

Thanks
    The Monaro makes a much better Buick than it does a Pontiac.

Thanks
    the T-Type is pure money

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Ghrankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks
    Who are you trying to kid? there are plenty of lexus sport coupes....this would be a great addition to buicks lineup...especially since the regal is dead.
    I agree with this interpretation, but as a supplement to Pontiac's GTO as a BMW competitor. American heritage (e.g. the GTO name) is the trump card that GM and Pontiac have over BMW, as many of today's BMW buyers had, or wish they'd had, GTOs in the past, and along comes the 2004 GTO that suits many BMW buyers' tastes as good or better than any BMW for the price, and out-prices the M3 by a wide margin.

I think Buick could play a similar hand against Lexus with a Monaro-based Grand National, as many of today's Lexus buyers had similar aspirations in the 80's. A Monaro-based Grand National would fill a similar role for Buick as the "American Lexus," as well as seriously outperforming even the upcoming supercharged Chrysler Crossfire. Maybe the moniker "Grand National" inspires a bit of a "mullet-ride" recollection; perhaps calling such a car the Buick GN / GNX would make everyone happy.

Either way, this "Grand National" concept is among the best ever posted here. I'd like to see chrome portholes, the less functional the better, to complement the grille, but even the way it is, I'd be in line to buy one.

Ghrankenstein
    NEW RIDE: 2008 Carp Poseidon (for fish-head delivery)
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    You're dead on! The GTO/Monaro was too nice to be a Pontiac from the beginning. They should've made it a Buick or a Cadillac. Those marks are more known for their quality and performance vs. just their performance. One look at the interior of a GTO and you wonder, where's the red guages? Where's all the plastic? Where are the large seams in the dash or the ill-fitting panels. This can't be a Pontiac. Well for crying out loud even the leather looks first rate.

Give me a live axle, poor interior materials, crappy build quality, zero resale, then I'll call it a Pontiac! Hell the only coupe built now that fits the bill and DESERVES the Pontiac label is the mustang.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information