Buick Excelle

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buick Excelle

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Buick Excelle

A quick chop of some changes that GM could have and should have made to the Buick Excelle to make it significantly more modern, expensive looking and not like a car that looks like it competes with the Corolla.

Original:

Chop (click bar to make larger):

High belt line version (click bar to make larger):

Changes: More aggressive headlights, more modern bumper, more prominent side line, classier door handles, higher belt-line.

Still needs: Chrome around the side glass, a lower side chrome strip, body colored mirrors with turn signals, preferably a sweep spear.

Not too hard eh General? Discuss.
    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 07-04-2010 at 01:27 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 mattyman1010's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Buick Excelle

The side line looks great. For something so simple, it adds a whole lot of definition to the car. The chrome surrounds will look classy, maybe you could throw some better rims on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattyman1010 View Post
    The side line looks great. For something so simple, it adds a whole lot of definition to the car. The chrome surrounds will look classy, maybe you could throw some better rims on?
    Buicks don't exactly have the best rims out there, but here it is with Regal GS Concept wheels:

Something like that would definitely be more attractive to a younger demographic.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

No offense, but the Excelle needs a lot more than that to look good. I like your changes, but it's not enough.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    No offense, but the Excelle needs a lot more than that to look good. I like your changes, but it's not enough.
    I agree...I would like to see BOLD Buicks. But I feel that the new Sonata eclipses this rebadged/tweaked Opel BIG time.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Of course, the body style overall is very bland and frumpy, but this is assuming all GM had to work with was a rebadged Opel. They could have rebadged it better. To really be nice this car needs a ground up redesign.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I think the original front end design was fine, except for the trapezoid shaped "bumps" on the corners of the bumpers. Do these "bumps" have a functional purpose or are they just there to make the bumper look disfigured? I noticed that the Astra 5-door and Sports Tourer also have them, but the Cruze doesn't. I would prefer a bumper without them, no matter what function they may or may not serve.

That being said, I do think your smoother and more integrated front fascia is an improvement on the original.

I like the original headlight shape, but I think your revised headlight shape is closer to the headlight shape of the LaCrosse.

I do prefer the original window/beltline to your more Corolla-esque window/beltline.

The one thing I would change about the overall design is that I would give the sedan more of a fastback type shape instead of the more traditional sedan shape of the actual car. The roofline would be elongated and the deck would be stubbier. I would even go as far as to apply the Astra 5-door C-pillar window shape to a fastback shaped version of this car. I would also restyle the rear end to look more like the rear end of the LaCrosse. I think this would make the car look more distinctive, sporty, and youthful.

I seriously doubt that GM would do much to alter the overall shape or to significantly restyle the rear end, but some cosmetic changes would go far to ensure that this sedan is perceived as a premium small car by the buying public. The blue accented projector beam headlight elements was a solid start. I would make a chrome side window surround, chrome covered door handles, foglights, and cool looking alloy wheels standard equipment. I would also add a chrome accent to the lower door panels to more closely link the car to the LaCrosse. The auxillary turn signal lights would be moved from the front fenders to the sideview mirror housings. LED taillight elements with a more sophisticated orientation would replace the late 80's/early 90's spec taillight elements on the Chinese market version. LaCrosse CXS style dual exhaust treatments would be added to the U.S. version. I think these changes would significantly improve and elevate the status of this small Buick sedan in the U.S. market.

It's a conservative design, but I think it will be appropriate for its segment if GM modifies/upgrades/improves some of the exterior details on the U.S. version.
    Last edited by cire_1wb; 07-08-2010 at 08:40 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by cire_1wb View Post
    I think the original front end design was fine, except for the trapezoid shaped "bumps" on the corners of the bumpers. Do these "bumps" have a functional purpose or are they just there to make the bumper look disfigured?
    I think they might (poorly) conceal headlight washers like this:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_K3ZvmmYDM[/ame]

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I think they might (poorly) conceal headlight washers like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_K3ZvmmYDM
    Thanks for submitting this video. At least it might explain the reason for these eyesores on the bumper of the Excelle GT (as well as the Astra). I have to admit that it's kind of a cool feature, but I don't know if I could tolerate a disfigured looking front fascia just to have them.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Of course, the body style overall is very bland and frumpy, but this is assuming all GM had to work with was a rebadged Opel. They could have rebadged it better. To really be nice this car needs a ground up redesign.
    I agree BIG time with your assertion that it needs sweep spear!
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information