Boredom has set in (Malibu, and Bel Air Quickie)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boredom has set in (Malibu, and Bel Air Quickie)

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

Boredom has set in (Malibu, and Bel Air Quickie)

So, I was really bored lately and I decided that I really do hate the looks of the Malibu (no offense to anybody) so I decided that I would freshen it up a little bit. Now I do understand that some may not like my design, but hey, I like it. :Shrug:

I also thought that it would be awesome to have something that could fight the upcoming Challenger, so I thought, hey, why not try the Bel Air? I did a really quick sketch, and then I did a second side profile with cleaned up lines. I do believe that the side does look a little odd, and I need to re-do it, but I did want to share what I had done so far.

-Chase
    Last edited by chaseabryant; 12-06-2005 at 12:36 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Boredom has set in (Malibu, and Bel Air Quickie)

I love the rear on that Malibu, but the front overhang isnt big enough. Good job!

Thanks

Elongate the nose on the Bu, and the Bel Air looks kind of Chargerish. Other than that, great looking cars.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

Both are awesome looking... though the Bel Air name should never be used to be in a pony car war. Rename it something else, and shorten up the area between the back of the door and the front of the rear protruding fender (if you get what I'm saying)... basically, shorten the car up a bit, and that area is where you can loose the length without hurting the design, and infact I think improving it.

That Malibu looks great, but it either needs to grow in length or be renamed - the Malibu is GM's Accord/Camry/upscale midsizer.
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > 2005 QSM GTO M6 > 2006 Mercury Milan Premier (debt free!) > 2016 Audi A3

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 princecharmless's Avatar
    Thanks

lose the audi grill and you have a winner!
    June 9 2010: I saw the new Buick Regal...and it was beautiful

Thanks

I really like the Malibu. Especially the rear.

The Bel-Air looks interesting, but the front gives me more of a Buick vibe, not bad, just not Chevy.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze - 14,350 miles
    2008 Kia Rondo - 41,000 miles
    2004 Pontiac GTO - 71,864 miles (gone, but not forgotten)
    Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Great job man, as usual! Your ideas really show through in your designs. I love the Malibu from the front and rear. That's a cool evolution of the new Chevy grille. And the Malibu taillights look super cool. I wish the Malibu looked so unique. A longer nose (and maybe tail) would help, but it's still a great looking design.

As for the Bel Air, that's an impressive quickie! I know nothing of the history of the Bekl Air, but I sure like the side sculpting as it forms the trunk and pointy little spoiler. Keep up the great work man!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Very good. The Malibu is Lexus elegant and the Bel-Air is innovative to no extent. Great Job Chase.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

Thanks for all of the comments everybody! This will help me refine some of my ideas!

Okay, I am now posting the original side view on the Malibu that I had drawn, but I felt like it was just a bit too long. But since I am being told it needs to be larger, then hey, I'll just post what I originally drew! (I do have a feeling it is still to large though)

and not trying to be mean or anything, but Charmless, why is it all of a sudden if a vehicle uses a full-sized grille in its design, it is copying Audi? When I was first started drawing cars I used the full-sized grille, long before Audi instituted it. Plus the fact the style has been around for decades.

Both are awesome looking... though the Bel Air name should never be used to be in a pony car war.
    And why not? If you think about it, it was a good looking coupe that everybody wanted, offering both power and affordability. You wouldn't want Chevrolet to pull a Dodge move and make the bel air some sort of sedan or something would you? I think it would fit perfectly into the "pony car" segment because of its heritage.
    I'm just wondering where an affordable, powerful coupe would fit into Chevy's lineup.

-Chase

Thanks

i like the original, longer looking malibu you drew. it would look less long if you made the rear door's 'line' come down the line of the window, instead of 5-7 inches back.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by chaseabryant
    Thanks for all of the comments everybody! This will help me refine some of my ideas!

Okay, I am now posting the original side view on the Malibu that I had drawn, but I felt like it was just a bit too long. But since I am being told it needs to be larger, then hey, I'll just post what I originally drew! (I do have a feeling it is still to large though)

and not trying to be mean or anything, but Charmless, why is it all of a sudden if a vehicle uses a full-sized grille in its design, it is copying Audi? When I was first started drawing cars I used the full-sized grille, long before Audi instituted it. Plus the fact the style has been around for decades.

And why not? If you think about it, it was a good looking coupe that everybody wanted, offering both power and affordability. You wouldn't want Chevrolet to pull a Dodge move and make the bel air some sort of sedan or something would you? I think it would fit perfectly into the "pony car" segment because of its heritage.
    I'm just wondering where an affordable, powerful coupe would fit into Chevy's lineup.

-Chase
    That drawing is great actually. I like it! It'd either say stick with that, or find a happy medium between the two sizes. Another idea would be to lengthen the hood, thus cutting back a little into the cabin. You could try both ideas...

As for the Bel Air, I just don't see it being a pony car. Bring back the Camaro for that duty. Also, while it doesn't have to be a sedan, it should be a full-size coupe (or coupe and sedan) with dramatic, beautiful styling. Something very comfortable. V6 and V8. But that's my take.
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > 2005 QSM GTO M6 > 2006 Mercury Milan Premier (debt free!) > 2016 Audi A3

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information