Alfa 149 Q2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alfa 149 Q2

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MarioBro88's Avatar
    Thanks

Alfa 149 Q2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Alfa 149 Q2

can you post the original as well? it looks good but i'd like to see the original for comparison .

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

does bmw own alfa?
    L.G. Fuad

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

^^No, FIAT owns Alfa.

And that Alfa should be a little bit more hatchback-y. After all, it IS the 147 replacement. Did you base it off of a Grande Punto or the Linea by any chance?

Thanks

Gee, seems like I have to do some explaining - Mario has actually butchered the Alfa GT, which is somewhat of a coupe version of the late Alfa Romeo 156 sedan. It is easily distinguishable from the other Alfas by the very thin horizontal taillights:

It's a nice car, though a bit pointless, if you'd ask me, in view of the Brera. Or, actually, having seen Brera's deficiencies, I'd say the latter might be a tad pointles... ANYWAY, it seems to be a way to keep the old Alfa 156 platform alive for a few more years - the sedan departed in 2005 with the arrival of Alfa 159, and the Sportwagon was replaced in 2006. The Sportwagon-based Volvo-XC-style Crosswagon soldiers on, though I've heard reports that it will be checking out at the end of 2006 (no word on a 159-based replacement yet, so that might not be true).

Interestingly, the GT is a hodgepodge of parts from different Alfas of the "6/7" generation - e.g. while the platform is the 2.6-metre version from the 156 (a more comfort-oriented version also underpinned the Lancia Lybra), the interior comes straight from the Alfa 147, which rides on the 2.54-metre version, closer to the original Tipo platform. The front end appears to be a mix of the late Alfa 146 and the pre-facelift Alfa 147, though it seems it is an independent creation and not an actual transplant.

There might be a tad of truth in this proposition, as, while we haven't seen much of the 149, which is to appear in 2009, and is not labelled as "149" in Fiat's production plans anymore, but as "future C segment", there is an increasing amount of gossip and other stuff surfacing concerning the new, even smaller Alfa "Junior" (previously known as "139"), which is to appear in 2008 and be based on the Grande Punto. The fact that Fiat decided against calling the model "139" and used an actual name might explain why the "149" seems not to be the official name anymore either (seems like Fiat realized it would be hard to move from 149/159/etc. upwards without creating confusion).

Anyway, here's just one drawing of the proposed "Junior" styling, apparently released by Fiat themselves:

In that spirit, some user over at a fan forum designed a 149 replacement, quite close to what Mario has presented us:

Actually, before the 147, Alfa has had compacts quite similar to that design:

The Alfasud

The 33

The 146

So, there might be some sense in it - I remember the 146 was quite popular for being both sporty-looking and quite practical. That said, to be practical the compact can't be as low as the GT. And the Acura doors don't work well on that body for sure...

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I knew that looked familiar! Thanks Bravada!

Yea, I agree with you on the pointlessness over such a vehicle now that there's the Brera. But I have no crystall ball, so I can't easily predict the future. Is there a possibility of the 149 being on a stretched SCCS Gamma, or has the Linea killed that idea?

Thanks

Let me make things straight, as I am not sure whether what I said wasn't confusing: the existence of both Alfa GT and the Brera is quite questionable, as both are 2+2 (or 2+upholstered luggage rack) coupes of similar size, the Brera being slightly larger, lower and available with larger engines...

That said, after seeing the styling deficiencies that resulted from using the Premium platform, I am beginning to be more partial to GT (despite the Brera's rear winning hands down), due to that:

I think that Fiat made it clear that the 149 will be a platform mate of the Bravo and Delta (or at least the Delta), while the upcoming Junior will be based on the Punto's platform. I think the Linea is quite irrelevant here, as the 149 is to continue being Alfa's "premium compact", which means a short hatchback and not a sedan. If anything, Linea nullifies the possibility of using Punto's platform for a Lybra replacement (sadly).

BTW, here's a nice chop of how a Punto-based Lancia CC could look like:

That belongs more in the Lancia thread, which needs to be revived!

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information