2016 Camaro 'Series' includes Camino pickoupe and Monte Carlo hatchback

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016 Camaro 'Series' includes Camino pickoupe and Monte Carlo hatchback

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

2016 Camaro 'Series' includes Camino pickoupe and Monte Carlo hatchback

2016 Camaro: All New Sports Car Series for the New Generation.

Camaro burst on the scene in 1967. It was a new kind of car – wide as an intermediate but short as compact. It had full size engines in a compact package for blistering performance. Through the years it has come to represent a uniquely American sports car – one that is as affordable as it is thrilling. It can be a ‘supercar’ in every sense of the word but one that’s within reach of many people. This year, Camaro is expanding into a full-fledged ‘series’ of cars. For the first time you can get a Camaro not just as a convertible or rakish coupe, but we’ve also revived the famous El Camino car/pickup as the “Camino” and we’ve added a luxurious grand touring Camaro by reviving the “Monte Carlo” nameplate.

Lithe, Lively and Luxurious – The All New Compact Camaro

For 2016 Camaro’s flagship sports car has a wheelbase decreased by three inches and a body width that’s reduced over four inches. The standard model, which now uses a lightweight four cylinder engine instead of last year’s standard V6, weighs less than 3400lbs – that’s over 400 fewer pounds than last year! You’ll easily recognize the new Camaro as an heir to a long line of exciting sports cars. This year the Camaro’s trademark wraparound rear hatch window makes a welcome comeback. There is a built in spoiler in the rear deck and the front fascia has an aggressive bottom breather grille under the bumper. Despite a shorter wheelbase, we’ve repositioned the rear seats so that there is more headroom and legroom for rear seat passengers. The hatchback window/deck and folding seats give the new smaller Camaro capacious cargo stowage that’s greater than last year’s larger, heavier Camaro. You’ll be pleased to find the basic Camaro comes standard with stylish, 18” cast alloy wheels for the first time ever. Interior materials and switch gear have a decidedly more plush and sumptuous feel. You might be surprised to learn all of it is standard equipment – but if you want the look and luxury of our top SS model with four cylinder fuel efficiency, you can order any of the paint, wheel, trim, luxury and convenience features standard on the SS as individual options on the base model.

The most prominent feature of the new Camaro, and the one that is shared by its Camino and Monte Carlo stablemates, is all new quarter bay type rear doors. They don’t have outside door handles and the rear doorframes blend into the roof so you still get that unmistakable look of a two door hardtop. Best of all, the rear half doors don’t just allow easier ingress and egress for rear seat passengers, they also allow us to shorten the front door, so that you, have a wider door opening to exit in crowded parking lots. The shorter doors and narrower width make this the most practical Camaro ever for parking and exiting in close quarters.

With all the more practical and utilitarian touches, you’ll never forget that the Camaro is a most stylish and powerful sports car. We’ve totally revamped the engines for the new Camaro series with most choice in engines since 1992. This year, the new standard engine is a 3.1 liter four cylinder that shares the same bore and stroke as our 6.2 liter V8. It pumps out 230 horsepower and nearly as many pounds/feet of torque. It’s the best of both worlds, with the low cost and fuel efficiency of a four cylinder but the torque and response of a V6. Also for the first time since 1992, you can order a V8 engine on the base model: It’s our new 310hp 4.3 liter “260” V8. This engine combines all the latest advances we’ve made in our renowned V8 engine with a smaller, fuel sipping displacement. It features variable cam timing, cylinder shutdown, variable length intake runners, tuned header type exhaust manifolds, full dual exhausts and direct fuel injection. Despite its 11.5:1 compression ratio, it runs fine on ‘regular’ or 87 octane gasoline. For fans of the previous generation V6 Camaro, we think you’ll be more than pleased if you opt for the new ‘economy’ V8 – it has ten percent more torque than last year’s 3.6 liter V6, and thanks in part to cylinder shutdown and lighter body weight – it gets the same city EPA fuel economy rating and actually exceeds the 2015 V6 in highway fuel economy.

Z-28 and Super Sport - Still Supercars!

Just because the new Camaro is smaller and lighter, don’t think we’ve given up on super performance models. In fact, for 2016 we’ve revived the storied “Z-28.” It’s the most powerful Z-28 we’ve ever offered, with an all new, premium fuel 400hp, 5.3 liter “325” V8. The Z-28 has always been a giant killer that has routinely out-handled, out-braked and out-accelerated European performance cars selling for more than twice its price. The newest Z-28 uses super light forged aluminum wheels, a special high adhesion rubber compound for the speed rated tires, unique aluminum front control arms and stiffer suspension bushings, a lightning fast 12.5:1 steering gear ratio along with thicker sway bars and high rate springs, to give you that ‘glued to the road’ feeling whether you are running errands or racing your shadow. It also happens to be our best performance value, since you can buy a Z-28 without a lot of luxury equipment that doesn’t enhance performance.

In the Super Sport, we’ve continued our long tradition of combining a luxurious interior on the inside, eye catching paint, stripes, wheels and trim on the outside, and our biggest and most powerful V8 under the hood. This year the Camaro SS’s big 6.2 liter “376” V8 gets another dose of horsepower and efficiency thanks to a new direct fuel injection system. In concert with our all new eight speed automatic transmission, this new combination is simply unbeatable. You get 475 horsepower – the most ever offered in any Chevrolet SS model! But because the SS, even with its host of standard luxury and convenience equipment, weighs under 3800lbs, it has a pounds to horsepower ratio of just under 8:1 (!) Take any performance parameter you choose – dragstrip acceleration, all out lateral acceleration in cornering, or transient handling – even its dizzying top speed and you will find only a tiny number of exotic sports cars and European GTs that can dare challenge your Camaro SS.

Monte Carlo – The Chevrolet of Grand Touring Cars.

Monte Carlo still stands as the winning-est nameplate in NASCAR history, and for 2016, it will return to the high banked ovals of Daytona and Talledega in the most aerodynamic and shape it’s ever been in. And for 2016, with a 112” wheelbase and unique reclining rear bucket seats, it can hold four passengers in luxurious comfort for long trips. The Monte Carlo is grand touring car with special standard features that make the miles fly by in restful comfort for passengers, but keep the driver’s senses attuned to the road. It carries on the proud Monte Carlo tradition of being a ‘drivers car,’ but now Monte Carlo adds a hatchback wraparound rear window and deck and fold down rear seats that allow you to carry long objects like skis or surfboards.

Monte Carlo includes most of the luxury equipment featured on the Camaro SS model as standard equipment. You get things like extra sound deadening insulation, satellite radio, navigation system and and heated, power adjusting front seats with leather seating surfaces for the base price. For drivers who commute long distances, the standard four cylinder Monte Carlo model delivers grand touring luxury and tenacious, road gripping handling while returning the kind of fuel economy you’d expect in a boring economy car. Monte Carlo has never been this practical, yet it’s never been this sporting either. For those who demand more spirited performance, especially at highway speeds, the 4.3 “260” V8 combined with the optional performance axle ratio delivers acceleration that most cars can’t touch. For those demand the ultimate in eye catching looks and acceleration, the Super Sport model features special contrasting roof and lower body paint, forged aluminum wheels, unique suspension that includes Z-28 sway bars and bushings (but with smoother riding springs) and the formidable 400hp 5.3 liter “325” V8.

Camino Comeback: Chevrolet Redefines the Compact Pickup

Camino is the “pickoupe” that works like a truck and handles like a car. This is a true compact pickup, measuring just under six feet in width, and riding on an easy handling 116” wheelbase. And it’s low like a sports car at only 54” tall. But make no mistake, the Camino is a real pickup that means business – or pleasure – it’s all up to you. Camino features a practical five foot long bed with utilitarian flat bedsides and built in stake-holes. With over 40 inches of flat loading floor between the wheel wells, it can hold most industrial size pallets. When equipped with the 4.3 liter V8 and heavy duty trailering package, you can tow up to 4000lbs or haul 1000lbs in the bed. That’s right. Camino is a bona fide ‘1/2 ton’ pickup. But while the all new Camino has a more truck-like practicality than ’59 to ’87 “El Camino” ever had, it also offers the innovation of rear bay ¼ doors and optional ‘occasional’ coupe style bucket seats to expand passenger capacity to four people. This makes the Camino more like a family sedan – one that can serve as your primary vehicle and not just a second or third car. If you plan to use the Camino as strictly a work vehicle, you will appreciate the standard two passenger version’s voluminous space behind the front seats to protect valuable tools or precision equipment from prying eyes – and hands – not to mention wind, heat, rain or snow.

Compared to its sport coupe cousins, Camino features uniquely styled wheel wells, reduced front overhang, heavy duty styled steel wheels, unique truck style grille and headlights and a reinforced unit body chassis. It also features the ‘performance’ 3.42:1 axle ratio that is optional on the Camaro and Monte Carlo as standard equipment. Camino is the lowest priced model in the Camaro series, and comes standard with a rugged, work ready interior, but you can equip the Camino with the luxurious SS trim, which includes, premium leather seating surface front bucket seats, two tone paint and forged aluminum wheels. Camino SS is also the only compact pickup that’s a legitimate super-sports car too, since it offers 400 horsepower in the luxurious SS model. Try finding another compact pickup with that much power! That’s Camino – it’s a chameleon that you can customize for your purse and purpose.
    Check out my automotive blog Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Re: 2016 Camaro 'Series' includes Camino pickoupe and Monte Carlo hatchback

Posted four days early!
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

Thanks

Hand drawings?

Can you draw some 2020's for us?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Rockyspaw: Took me a while to get that one!

CTSV4now: I kind of got hooked on the scale drawing because it's more 'real' - I can say it would really have these proportions on that wheelbase and so forth. I was considering doing some full door-frame 'sedan' versions that would be Alpha based like the Camaro 'series' that would be the Holden Caprice, Commodore and Ute. But they'd still be considered 'sports car' low by today's standards at 54" tall.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MikesZ's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I like the Camino best. Would like to see that front clip on Monte Carlo and Camaro as well. The Camaro reminds me a lot of the third generation car. Was that intentional?

Thanks
    My Ride

MikesZ: thanks for commenting.

I was going for a little of the '70 with the rear spoiler, '75-02 with the wraparound rear window, and I wanted to imply the '93 to '02 with the rearview mirrors that blend into the the hoodline (as on the two tone MC). I was picturing the MC and Camaro as more GT-ish and have always thought the bottom breather grille and sloping hood evoked that. The Camino fascia I kind of thought of as an '83 Monte Carlo SS profile but without all that overhang. I too like the Camino best - partly because I would really buy something like it.

I'm surprised I haven't gotten any negative response (yet) on the rear bay doors. I thought that was the most controversial aspect of it. Give it time I guess... :-)

Banned
    Thanks

a great site,many useful information!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MikesZ's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    MikesZ: thanks for commenting.

I was going for a little of the '70 with the rear spoiler, '75-02 with the wraparound rear window, and I wanted to imply the '93 to '02 with the rearview mirrors that blend into the the hoodline (as on the two tone MC). I was picturing the MC and Camaro as more GT-ish and have always thought the bottom breather grille and sloping hood evoked that. The Camino fascia I kind of thought of as an '83 Monte Carlo SS profile but without all that overhang. I too like the Camino best - partly because I would really buy something like it.

I'm surprised I haven't gotten any negative response (yet) on the rear bay doors. I thought that was the most controversial aspect of it. Give it time I guess... :-)
    Having those Veloster-like rear doors (but two instead of one) would probably increase the appeal. If GM wanted to build a 130R, perhaps that's the kind of direction they should go in.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information