2010.5 Malibu Refrsh

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010.5 Malibu Refrsh

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jmlee0695's Avatar
    Thanks

2010.5 Malibu Refrsh

LS,LT1,LT2*,LTZ** - 2.4 DI 4 cyl 210 hp
    * Optional V6
    ** Downgrade option
    LT2, LTZ- 3.0 DI v6 250 hp
    S.S.- 3.6 DI v6 300 hp

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,829 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Re: 2010.5 Malibu Refrsh

Sorry...that doesn't work for me at all...
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

keep trying....
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jmlee0695's Avatar
    Thanks

any ideas to make it better?

Thanks

hi jmlee, here are a few things i noticed.

in the top pic, you are showing a little bit of body color left of headlight on pass side. this is not consistent with the driver headlight. driver headlight outer edge is in line with fender outer. on pass side, there would be no body color visible from angle shown. play with your slice or free form cut to isoloate the pass headight, move it around and possibly shrink it vertically to make it work. try a move, then squint and see if it becomes more realistic, or less. try resizing your entire image every ten minutes or so, it is amazing how the brain gets used to seeing the image, even the weird starts to look normal after a while.
    some people like to flip ( mirror) the image periodically to reorient the brain as well.

also, as you zone in on getting your perspective dialed in, take breaks. walk around , leave it and come back. your brain will perceive it better after not seeing it for a while.
    for the tailights, the perspective is off. the positioning could be more accurate as well.
    the tailights should follow the perspective line of the rear of the car, with the closest one larger, and getting smaller as you get to the furthest one.
    a great tool for this is to isolate the tailights ( try two at a time ) and use your perspective tool to stretch them this way and that till they look more correct. it is a balancing act, back and forth , stretch, reposition, resize, rotate-- over and over till they look correct.

there are some great tutorials online to help understand the dual vanishing points necessary for realistic perspective ( sorry, i didn't save the links).

when i do this kind of work my face actually gets tired from squinting so much. it really helps to see it coming into perspective though!

please feel free to ask questions, hope this helps!
    Last edited by joegagan; 11-19-2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: add a word

Thanks

ok , i played around with the tailights a little to show the moves i was talkin bout.

it is just a rough in, more finish work needed, but they now look more realistic.
    i had to resize them individually, reshape them to fit the perspective, re- angle, etc over and over, back and forth to get them where they are now. note how the top line of all four openings now follows the line at top of trunk more or less.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,309 Times in 4,036 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

thank you for trying. You will get better.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

i do like the little grill change..not sure about the headlights id leave them as is. the taillights do need to be redone, but idk abut taking the camaros lights

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 'Vette Dude's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm just a beginner at Gimp, so I decided to clean up the grille of the car. It helped me try out some of the features. I just used your version and cleaned the grille and hood. Overall, your original is better than I could do in trying to add a new grille and headlamps to the Malibu.
    Last edited by 'Vette Dude; 11-21-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmlee0695 View Post
    I like where you put the Malibu badge!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I have a feeling that 5 or 6 years from now people will see our current Malibu's tail and vomit. In other words; it's not going to age well. Your taillights, while not perfect and/or real original, match the side-markers (not a big deal, but the chrome trim is and it belongs back there). And they give the car some width (and look more in-line w/ the side of the car), where GM's look like classless blobs. You are definitely on the right track back there. I would make the rear a little rounder. Reposition the bowtie and move and/or stretch the licence plate thingamajig around. Those headlights will probably be all the rage in a couple years, but I don't like them with this car though.

Thanks

Looks like the over-facelifted Elizabeth Dole got angry about not winning...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    I have a feeling that 5 or 6 years from now people will see our current Malibu's tail and vomit. In other words; it's not going to age well.
    respectfully disagree. there is not a bad line anywhere on the malibu, the tailights (in my opinion) are perfectly complimenting the rest of the car. when there is synergy like this within a design, it defies trendiness, a sort of ageless classic feel. pretty sure i will feel the same way in 5 or 6 years.

every time i see one on the road i cannot take my eyes off of it. one of my all time fave car designs.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joegagan View Post
    respectfully disagree. there is not a bad line anywhere on the malibu, the tailights (in my opinion) are perfectly complimenting the rest of the car. when there is synergy like this within a design, it defies trendiness, a sort of ageless classic feel. pretty sure i will feel the same way in 5 or 6 years.

every time i see one on the road i cannot take my eyes off of it. one of my all time fave car designs.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    The new Taglane
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    I have a feeling that 5 or 6 years from now people will see our current Malibu's tail and vomit. In other words; it's not going to age well.
    I love the taillights. They are great and original because they don't bleed over into the side of the car like every other car in the world's does!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information