2007 GTO redesign

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 GTO redesign

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CyberianHusky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Knowing that Pontiac is going to redesign the GTO in 2007, I have done the following concept. It obviously makes liberal use of the G6 concept, but this is my idea of the next level for the GTO. I feel the body of the production G6 and the concept G6 are different enough that the concept version could be used on another coupe design.
    Is it coincidence that Bob Lutz owns an Hidden Content
    Don't get it? Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not bad.

But the G6 is going to have a coupe next year. So, I think they'd overlap.

Thanks
    I think what's under the hood is the primary difference, don't you? Besides, the body of the production G6 varies enough, in my opinion anyway, that enough people would see these as different cars. I see your point, but it raises the question of why even have the GTO in the first place? And remember that the original GTO's were based on existing cars even when they swtiched from an option package to a seperate nameplate.

btw, if anyone wants a full list of what I did just ask.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nice chop. But I agree with Rex, its too much like the G6 concept or production. And, no what is under the hood is not all that matters. We found that out with the current GTO.

Thanks
    Any suggestions on how to make it stand on its own? I guess the main thing would be to do a complete redesign of the twin ports, which I almost did. But I wanted to see how a black grill would look. I'm going to tackle the lights when I get up enough strength. lol. I hate doing headlights from scratch.

Thanks for the chop compliments though.

EDIT: I have since added a "shoulder" over the rear quarter that has a slight V indentation on the side. I think it looks pretty sharp. I also added some new hood lines that taper down to a point just below the arrowhead.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks
    Great chop, but I have to agree with the others - too much G6. Anyways, continue your work!

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

Thanks
    All of this may be really hard, I don't know anything about photoshop. But...

Raise the front fenders higher than the hood. That always makes cars look more aggressive. Look at how it makes other sport/performance coupes look, like the Corvette (especially C6), XLR, Solstice, and Viper. I think this appearance feature is why so many people don't like the look of the current GTO. It lacks the aggressiveness this feature adds.
    Also, fan out the twin ports so they give a spread-wings like appearance and push the headlights onto the raised fenders. (Like Solstice and C6)

I like the hood lines. I also like the line on the rear shoulder, maybe that could flow into the rear spoiler.

Just some thoughts, like I said, I don't know anything about photoshop, though.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts
    I think the design vocabulary is generally right - the G6 and the Solstice point the way for Pontiac's new lean and muscular look and you've nicely incorporated this into your concept.

The problem I see is proportions -- it is proportioned like a FWD or AWD car. The hood is short, the cowl is pulled forward. But, the GTO is a traditional V8, RWD car and it's architecture should reflect that - a longer hood and some meat along the rear fender area.

While most GTOs didn't quite have the long hood, short deck look of the Firebird, they had longer hoods, hungry-looking grills and a "coke-bottle" waist that gave them some heft around the rear fenders. If you can play with the proportions of your concept to do the same, I think you might find something that people instintively feel is a GTO.

Thanks
    Ilike it to me it has that camaro look and I love camaros

Thanks
    The first version is what the current GTO should have looked like. Great job. B)
    Hidden Content
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze - 14,350 miles
    2008 Kia Rondo - 41,000 miles
    2004 Pontiac GTO - 71,864 miles (gone, but not forgotten)
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Some good suggestions/points. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to lower the hood to make the fenders stand out a little. I don't want to just chop in another front end. I prefer to do the work myself. But it's a pretty big task. I'll see what I can do and report back when I have something new.

Thanks
    It kinda looks like the celica,but I like it.

Thanks
    Still working on this concept. I've done a few things that hopefully will set it apart from the G6 a bit more. My next task is to lengthen the front end.

Thanks
    Longer version of the one above. I also think it looks better without the wing.

Thanks
    looks pretty good

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information