What If: Ford Sister Site?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What If: Ford Sister Site?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

What If: Ford Sister Site?

I'm sort of a shoot for the moon kind of guy at times. The other discussion about a Ford site got my wheels spinning on the "what if" scenarios of it.

I am a bit curious to hear what people think of the idea. I'm not saying it is under consideration (it's not) and the final decision is not mine anyway. Below I have outlined a "what if" scenario of doing a sister-site to GMI and would appreciate your feedback on such.

Scenario: A sister-site to GMI is created that follows Ford Motor Company. This site would be arranged similar to GMI and would have a stark news focus just as GMI has. In an effort to leverage economies of scale I would run the Ford site and GMI to ward off it becoming "corporatized" as we have done here with GMI. That may include sharing our writing staff (the guys in orange font). All of the moderating staff would be unique to that property and there would be a "lead" moderator that is unique as well so that the property takes its own tone/direction. I would also advocate that the two sites not share content.

Like we currently have with GM, the site would have a very close relationship with Ford. Site staff would cover all Ford launch events, would have Ford press fleet, and attend all major auto shows. Coverage would extend globally, with staff in Australia (we have that today) and eventually other continents as well.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by nsap; 04-15-2010 at 10:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What If: Ford Sister Site?

Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Why not just morph GMI to include more Ford content? Why would you want to lose your Ford eyeballs to another site? Your ad revenue is about eyeballs and more you get the better, plus you don't have to run another site.
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Pablo Picasso

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

dual memberships so we could use both sites?
    edit: would GMI continue to have Ford News or just vehicle releases?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    Why not just morph GMI to include more Ford content? Why would you want to lose your Ford eyeballs to another site? Your ad revenue is about eyeballs and more you get the better, plus you don't have to run another site.
    This.

I'm wary of such stark division. Part of what I love about GMI is the side-by-side GM and Ford insider info and discussion. Removing one or the other will really diminish what the site has become now. I dunno, I'm sure someone else can articulate this better.

If there's some way to develop this in parallel with the existing forums, on the same set of forums/site, that would be great. GMI > GMFI

Of course the GM-only-at-all-costs diehards will love this proposal. Kick those pesky Ford trolls off the site

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matt.w View Post
    This.

I'm wary of such stark division. Part of what I love about GMI is the side-by-side GM and Ford insider info and discussion. Removing one or the other will really diminish what the site has become now. I dunno, I'm sure someone else can articulate this better.

If there's some way to develop this in parallel with the existing forums, on the same set of forums/site, that would be great. GMI > GMFI

Of course the GM-only-at-all-costs diehards will love this proposal. Kick those pesky Ford trolls off the site
    I agree.

Why mess up a good thing? Unless there's mass money to be made. If so, have at it. Just know that some diehards, and probably even GM folks, won't like it.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.w View Post
    This.

We've always ran GMI to be a site to discuss all brands. What the issue stems from is the fact that OEM's are embracing this type of "new media" on a very large scale. Obviously GM loves us, but we're finding other OEM's are interested as well. I was just curious if our members would be open to seeing more unique, non-GM content on GMI or if they would rather see it on sites tailored to that brand.

Thanks

Does that mean the Ford trolls would have to leave?
    2016 Silverado 2500HD High Country

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

I guess the thing to consider is what happens when you have 3, 4, 5 OEMs wanting to sign up. How huge does the site get before you split things off?

Still, my vote is emphatically to include as much additional content into the existing GMI as possible.

Thanks

Why not just keep it the way it is, but expand coverage of other barnds and call it AutomotiveInside News?

I HATE having to go to multiple sites to get my auto news fix and GMI fulfills it quite well in one stop.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 Fiesta ST Ingot Silver

Seems like a great idea, just needs to be a totally unrelated group doing it, IMO.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

It seems only natural to leverage a winning formula and apply it to other brands.

There are quite a few online resources for general industry news but not many sites do a good job of offering a brand focus with user-generated content. However, to maintain the balance between information and enthusiasm, it would be a wise move to appoint separate editors and moderators.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Uh. I don't want to have to go another site in order to get the same information that I have been getting here for the past couple years. As long as GMI doesn't change what it offers, then I'm fine with it. I'll never visit Ford InsideNews.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

Banned
    Thanks

Whatever you decide to do, I am on.

Thanks

There's one group who has pulled this off with import brands, if you decide to go ahead with this, I strongly suggest you study how they did it.

http://vortexmediagroup.com/

Each brand has its own news portal and individual sub-forums (can't access Volvo's forums from vwvortex, for example). However, instead of having specific sub-forums for the competition, they all share a global forum for that. People from all communities can talk about anything automotive related there, with their same L/P (TheCarLounge).

This provides all communities a space to discuss things with a broader view, without affecting users who only want biased discussions. That system has worked surprisingly well for years, you don't miss out on anything.
    Last edited by pcsario; 04-15-2010 at 04:20 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information