Response to "GMI Puppetmaster" thread

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Response to "GMI Puppetmaster" thread

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Olds 4-4-2

Response to "GMI Puppetmaster" thread

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ide-vs-207409/

A friendly bloke suggested I start a new thread with a response so that it doesn't get buried in pages upon pages of stuff. Here's what I had said:

Sorry for the delay in responding to this thread. I do appreciate the sentiments and feedback, whether positive or negative, because I do understand there's been a change in the support of the forum and it stands to reason that you like things the way they have been.

People don't like change. Yeah, I get that. And then y'know what? They get acclimated soon enough when the boat's not rocked. I've hardly rocked the boat.

Oh, but what's this? The Political Forum? Yeah, I'm the one in control of canning it, but my voice was hardly the one who decided to relegate it. Before I came on board, there was a discussion on the Moderators' Forum ("Future of Politics on GMI"). Plus, Mark had given me a heads-up on the deliberations. I was reluctant to voice my two cents among the staff because I was the new guy and felt my opinion should not carry the weight of those who already have been invested in the site.

So, yeah, maybe I've rocked the boat a bit after all, but please give the forum forensics a rest - there are things that go on behind the scenes that most of you are not privy to. I've just shown you one instance above. It's not productive to the folks who contribute to the inner workings of the site, only for me to be confronted with "He doesn't get the site." Damn straight I get it - the political forum was a morass of negativity that was bringing down the site. Why keep it when folks can't play nice? It was a nice experiment whose time has come and gone.

Don't believe me? Even in this thread, it's now 9 pages and there's a lot of bickering. Can we all agree that we need to raise the level of discourse up a notch? Yes, we folks behind the screen have to curate the forum and set a tone, but you have to follow through and maintain the tone. This forum is a pleasure to read when people talk about cars, but when the forum becomes tit-for-tat, it turns into every other forum out there. The Politics Forum only made it worse - we'd rather maintain the positive aspects of this site and eliminate the negative.

And the articles I've posted?

Nothing I've posted goes without discussing things with my bosses. A lot of time has been spent discussing ideas, nixing some and putting others on the back-burner. And then, if that's not good enough, some people have issues with where an article is posted. Again, everything is done with the agreement of the higher-ups.

But don't let this appear as I'm shaking my finger at you like Aunt Gladys - I see the comments and I tell my bosses as well. You're our customers, and we have an obligation to listen to you and consider everything. I assure you they've taken the comments to heart. So if there ever is another article like the Pontiac one, I can assure you that it likely will appear in a forum that you will consider more appropriate.

To another point: Again, regarding being privy to things behind the scenes, sure, I can take the "GMI isn't a fanboy paradise" comments, but they are not based on reality. Again, your feedback hasn't gone unnoticed, but trust me when I say that this impression is a complete 180 from the reality.

So don't like an opinion in an article? How about articulating how you imagine a modern Pontiac lineup? Or, if you want to be extra-critical, post how the New GM is not capable of getting Pontiac right at this point in time . . . and explain why. No, I'm not throwing back any angst back upon you - I'm merely suggesting that funneling that negative energy into positive interpersonal discourse on a topic that we share and love.

Ditto with the Top 10 list. How many of us have seen "listicle" after listicle online, from Yahoo Autos to the WSJ, about something that has us shaking our collective heads? Most of them suck and don't demonstrate a grasp of automotive acumen, or they simply name the same tired cliches. I knew I was up to the task of coming up with something with integrity. "Style" is a subjective perception, and I made a list that attempted to cover different eras without too much emphasis on oft-repeating brands (aka "Yeah, a 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz and Seville reek of style, but there's been too much Cadillac already and I feel we should include something from another GM brand as a matter of balance"). Were my choices my favorite GM products from the past? Hardly, but I attempted to be objective yet have fun . . . hell, what list would exclude a 1963 Buick Riviera? But I think the '65 came off best, and I thought the underrated '67 Eldorado would be an interesting substitution. It carried all the style equity of the Riviera but it's slightly more refined thanks to being several years newer. With only 10 spaces to consider, I could have listed the usual suspects, but Lord knows I don't want to be considered a Fanboy!

But the criticism of the other articles, like "Why Won't My Car Start," have been duly noted by the AutoGuide folks and I've asked for some different fodder like the Cruze spy photos, which seem to have been well-received by y'all.

I will do my best to interact more, as I'm trying to gain my bearings (is that how the saying goes?) for the site. If it's not to your satisfaction, by all means let me know - even via PM. Remember, you're the customer, and I can't possibly see every single thread going on every day. After all, the WWW implies interactivity, and in our world today the customer has the power to articulate things in ways that was not previously possible during the Atari Age. In the spirit of yesterday's holiday, let's just pretend I'm like Mom (or Bon Jovi) and I'll be there for you.

Is that enough personality for ya?

In sum, my main intention is to continue what Mark started. As I get acclimated with the culture of the site, nudge me into the Admin you want me to be. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth it, so let's work together to keep GMI being your favorite site about General Motors.

If you feel you need to articulate something in response, please do it here.

Warmest regards,

Diego

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

bballr4567 (05-11-2015),BlackGTP (05-11-2015),knightfan26917 (05-13-2015),rand49er (05-11-2015),richmond2000 (05-12-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

Re: Response to "GMI Puppetmaster" thread

I'll copy over from that thread:

Sigh.

You can write a masterpiece of a Pontiac article and it won't matter. The idea of conceiving and posting such a thing was about as tone-deaf as you could get, given the forum's history and, simply, the march of time since Pontiac's demise. In fact, that last point drives home that it is an impossibility to write a masterpiece of a Pontiac speculation article now or in the future, so my first statement was pointless.

The effort put into that top 10 article is commendable, but in the end, it's still a fanboy listicle. Maybe forgiveable on its own, but not in the context of the recent changeover.
    Sure, posts like that will go up around here by anyone, but front-page content is Real. Content. Better to post nothing than to highlight the fall from then to now.

Monaro's postings are sort of the exception to this rule. At a glance, it could seem like typical fanboy stuff. But, he has built a reputation in this community, and his speculation is tuned in to either current events, or current forum discussions. All of which the above articles lacked.

There's no need for handwringing with bosses to determine what to post. It's simple:
    1. News on future product
    2. News on future product
    3. News on future product
    4. News on the corporate side
    5. Sales/industry status
    6. Product reviews and comparisons
    7. Good editorials- ones that address current issues, bringing new opinions to the table or reflecting very recent discussions (no horse beating allowed)

The aspirational goal would be to recultivate insider connections, but even if GMI reverts to some sort of aggregator I think the community would sustain it.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to matt.w For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-11-2015),69Firebird400 (12-11-2015),CaddyLac10 (05-11-2015),ChrisGinNC (05-11-2015),Dequindre (05-11-2015),Ed753 (05-11-2015),knightfan26917 (05-13-2015),nruggiero (05-11-2015),patrickbec (05-11-2015),posaune (05-11-2015),sfbreh (05-11-2015)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 3,256 Posts

Thanks for the post, Diego.

I think that the members around here want to feel that an actual person is helping lead, craft and manage this site, rather than a mindless, faceless, corporate monolith, which is only concerned with ad revenue and click bait and not real content. This is the internet home for many posters here, so we all have a stake in the matter.
    Last edited by Z284ever; 05-11-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

CaddyLac10 (05-11-2015),ChrisGinNC (05-11-2015),Cobaltss_King (05-11-2015),Dequindre (05-11-2015),knightfan26917 (05-13-2015),LetsRace (05-11-2015),matt.w (05-11-2015),Neanderthal (05-11-2015),nruggiero (05-11-2015),posaune (05-11-2015),rand49er (05-12-2015),richmond2000 (05-12-2015),sfbreh (05-11-2015)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

With that being said How About Den Cowboys lol

Once the dust settles everything will be back to normal.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

For what it's worth, thanks for not hiding and instead making this thread. We want the site to prosper, GMI is important to us and we want it to evolve and adapt. Inside news is must, video reviews should be a great addition, and articles of GM corporate are welcome. Comparisons with the competition would be great.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LetsRace For This Useful Post:

ChrisGinNC (05-11-2015),jzchev28 (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    People don't like change. Yeah, I get that. And then y'know what? They get acclimated soon enough when the boat's not rocked. I've hardly rocked the boat.

So, yeah, maybe I've rocked the boat a bit after all, but please give the forum forensics a rest - there are things that go on behind the scenes that most of you are not privy to. I've just shown you one instance above. It's not productive to the folks who contribute to the inner workings of the site, only for me to be confronted with "He doesn't get the site."
    I like change, but I don't like change when it brings people like you. So far, I think you're a spineless shill for VS or whoever decided it would be a good idea to put YOU in charge of the site.

You haven't rocked anything, so don't flatter yourself. You have not done ANYTHING other than what you've been told to do and cave into what the mods wanted.

And the articles I've posted?

Nothing I've posted goes without discussing things with my bosses. A lot of time has been spent discussing ideas, nixing some and putting others on the back-burner. And then, if that's not good enough, some people have issues with where an article is posted. Again, everything is done with the agreement of the higher-ups.

But don't let this appear as I'm shaking my finger at you like Aunt Gladys - I see the comments and I tell my bosses as well. You're our customers, and we have an obligation to listen to you and consider everything. I assure you they've taken the comments to heart. So if there ever is another article like the Pontiac one, I can assure you that it likely will appear in a forum that you will consider more appropriate.
    You need to grow some balls or get a clue then, because the things you should be posting are NOT clickbait trash articles, which you have admitted to posting.

Quality will drive traffic. Having a circlejerk with the idiots who have thus far been ruining the site will drive the people who MAKE the site away.

To another point: Again, regarding being privy to things behind the scenes, sure, I can take the "GMI isn't a fanboy paradise" comments, but they are not based on reality. Again, your feedback hasn't gone unnoticed, but trust me when I say that this impression is a complete 180 from the reality.
    What is reality, then? As someone who's made 48 posts and hasn't even been here a month, please explain what exactly you think reality is.

So don't like an opinion in an article? How about articulating how you imagine a modern Pontiac lineup? Or, if you want to be extra-critical, post how the New GM is not capable of getting Pontiac right at this point in time . . . and explain why. No, I'm not throwing back any angst back upon you - I'm merely suggesting that funneling that negative energy into positive interpersonal discourse on a topic that we share and love.
    If I don't agree with someone's opinion, I'll share it.

There was no opinion to disagree with. It was a half-assed article that was outdated, outmoded, pick an adjective. It sucked. It was not a headline-worthy article. It was a bad way to introduce yourself to the site's membership.

It had 11 pages though, so what do you care about its quality?

Ditto with the Top 10 list. How many of us have seen "listicle" after listicle online, from Yahoo Autos to the WSJ, about something that has us shaking our collective heads? Most of them suck and don't demonstrate a grasp of automotive acumen, or they simply name the same tired cliches. I knew I was up to the task of coming up with something with integrity. "Style" is a subjective perception, and I made a list that attempted to cover different eras without too much emphasis on oft-repeating brands (aka "Yeah, a 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz and Seville reek of style, but there's been too much Cadillac already and I feel we should include something from another GM brand as a matter of balance"). Were my choices my favorite GM products from the past? Hardly, but I attempted to be objective yet have fun . . . hell, what list would exclude a 1963 Buick Riviera? But I think the '65 came off best, and I thought the underrated '67 Eldorado would be an interesting substitution. It carried all the style equity of the Riviera but it's slightly more refined thanks to being several years newer. With only 10 spaces to consider, I could have listed the usual suspects, but Lord knows I don't want to be considered a Fanboy!
    GMI is not a listicle site. You would know this if you cared a whit about the site and not just doing what you're told.

I will do my best to interact more, as I'm trying to gain my bearings (is that how the saying goes?) for the site. If it's not to your satisfaction, by all means let me know - even via PM.
    I'm glad you've found Jesus.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

69Firebird400 (12-11-2015),Dequindre (05-11-2015),nruggiero (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

I think your biggest issue is admitting to not having a vision for the site. If you don't, what is your motivation for coming here? Passion is what built this site, not contracts.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dequindre For This Useful Post:

ChrisGinNC (05-11-2015),donmateo (05-11-2015),matt.w (05-11-2015)

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Olds 4-4-2

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post

What is reality, then? As someone who's made 48 posts and hasn't even been here a month, please explain what exactly you think reality is.
    When I go down the street to the local store, do you think they're going to tell me how they operate their business?

My point was that customers can speculate all they want regarding the sequence of events, but no one has an idea of the inner workings of the forum, both before and after my arrival. It's easy to spout off what is perceived, but so far none of the theories have held water - please, let's put the gossip to rest.

That's the reality.

The reality is also that people are listening, so your comments are much appreciated.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M

so.....is autoverdict ready yet??
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8/ 2015 Chevrolet SS (seriously)

Current Rides: 2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M & 2015 Chrysler Town & County (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Honda Civic DX, 2001 Ford ZX2, 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4 & 2009 Saturn Vue XR

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Al63240 For This Useful Post:

knightfan26917 (05-13-2015)

Administrator
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1970 Olds 4-4-2

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    I think your biggest issue is admitting to not having a vision for the site. If you don't, what is your motivation for coming here? Passion is what built this site, not contracts.
    It's called being facetious. Give things time to settle and it'll be just like Mark never left.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 3,256 Posts

It's called being facetious. Give things time to settle and it'll be just like Mark never left.
    Actually, we barely knew Mark. He was only here for a very short time.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (05-11-2015),knightfan26917 (05-13-2015),Neanderthal (05-11-2015)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Actually, we barely knew Mark. He was only here for a very short time.
    This. He barely made himself known before he was gone. The passion, culture, etc. that everyone wants back was created by Nick, who had an ultimate vision for the site.
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8/ 2015 Chevrolet SS (seriously)

Current Rides: 2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M & 2015 Chrysler Town & County (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Honda Civic DX, 2001 Ford ZX2, 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4 & 2009 Saturn Vue XR

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Al63240 For This Useful Post:

ChrisGinNC (05-11-2015),Dequindre (05-11-2015),donmateo (05-11-2015),matt.w (05-11-2015),nruggiero (05-11-2015),richmond2000 (05-12-2015),sfbreh (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

When I go down the street to the local store, do you think they're going to tell me how they operate their business?

My point was that customers can speculate all they want regarding the sequence of events, but no one has an idea of the inner workings of the forum, both before and after my arrival. It's easy to spout off what is perceived, but so far none of the theories have held water - please, let's put the gossip to rest.

That's the reality.

The reality is also that people are listening, so your comments are much appreciated.
    That's another problem: We're not customers, we're community members. There's a BIG difference between those two.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dequindre For This Useful Post:

'Vette Dude (07-05-2015),isszy (05-12-2015),matt.w (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

That's the reality.

What gossip? Do you really think we're all beat up about Mark leaving?

Mark was better than you (which isn't hard), but he wasn't what we wanted.

I don't like you, I don't like your attitude, and if AutoGuide or VS or anyone is paying attention, they should pay attention to the thread you LOCKED that called for your replacement.

You're too self-absorbed and convinced of your importance and the value of your privilege to realize that you STEPPING DOWN would be the best move. You aren't good for the site. You are not and will not be a good administrator, but I will make sure to take you up on your offer to PM you your faults and mistakes to try to mold you into what you SHOULD be.

If you're going to be here, you need an open mind and a degree of maturity you do not seem to possess.

Quote Originally Posted by Al63240 View Post
    This. He barely made himself known before he was gone. The passion, culture, etc. that everyone wants back was created by Nick, who had an ultimate vision for the site.
    This.

Get a soul and make something happen or you'll be one of a series of captains steering this ship into the iceberg.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Lincoln MKT

Quick! someone get Sfbreh! he's going Super Sayin on Diego!....

28. The Following User Says Thank You to 0fxxk0 For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (05-11-2015)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information