More issues with the new site design

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More issues with the new site design

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 649 Posts

More issues with the new site design

A big thanks to the site admins for fixing some problems I mentioned in another thread (images on the front page not scaling properly on narrow browser windows). Now that I've lived with the new design for a few more days, I've run into a couple more image issues:

1. When reading a thread, images don't scale correctly in Chrome or IE (similar to the problem I was having on the title page before, but in the actual threads). The news pane and other stuff on the right hand side cut off big parts of images unless I make the browser window very wide, which some of us don't like And the worst part is that you don't even know the images are cut off unless it's obvious because a piece of the car is not visible or something. Is there even a need for a news pane and stuff like "find us on Facebook" when reading each thread? Can't that stuff just stay on the main page and the listings of forums/threads?

2. Zooming images doesn't work in Chrome. Click on an image to zoom and all I see is a dark, transparent background and the text "Powered by MARCO1" in the middle.

And a design/layout gripe:There's so much stuff at the top of the page when reading a thread that you almost have to scroll down even see the title of the first post (yes, I'm exaggerating but just a bit... and I don't mean the ads when not logged in).

Thanks in advance for anything you can do to fix at least the image issues.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

Re: More issues with the new site design

This is maybe more of a "how do I" issue, but in the old site, I could search for all threads I had posted in. I used to do this to see if any threads I had commented in had new posts as I don't want a whole bunch of notifications -- I'd rather follow up by searching. The new site search doesn't seem to allow for that; searching by username only pulls up threads I started. Is there any way to do this in the new site? I miss this function, particularly when I've been away for a few days.

emh
    Thanks

Does anyone involved with running the site even look at this so-called "site feedback and support" section?
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Does anyone involved with running the site even look at this so-called "site feedback and support" section?
    Over a week since the original post and nothing... I guess that's a "no" on anyone looking at this

Why even have a section called "site feedback and support" if no one associated with the site even looks at it? Yeah, I know no one's going to answer that...

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

We've been reading them. My apologies that no one posted, but I read it the day you posted.

There are several browser-specific issues. The one you report about image zooming has not yet been mentioned by anyone else using Chrome. Is it still going on? We've made modifications to the image system since your post.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,000 Times in 4,803 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I'll take the old site for ease of reading and user-friendliness any day.

When I go to "new posts," they stack up and get cut cut in half, like a stack of half-pancakes. Don't know if it's my AOL, but it's quite irritating. Will try the wonderful Explorer and Chrome and see if it's any better.

Also, the "read first unread" is in a blue the blends quite nicely with its background. The older system had cues that were easy to read, like a good dashboard layout. Too much searching with the new arrangement.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It wasn't broke, it got fixed, and now it's broke.
    That is my one-fiftieth of a dollar's worth. Thankyuhhverruhhmuchh!

OK, explorer is no different. Chrome, "new posts" shows as Gawd intended it show. OK, we all know AOL sucks, but Halloween is over.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 12-08-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Over a week since the original post and nothing... I guess that's a "no" on anyone looking at this

Why even have a section called "site feedback and support" if no one associated with the site even looks at it? Yeah, I know no one's going to answer that...
    If you haven't noticed, it appears that nsap is the only regular GMI staff member here looking into the problems. And the brains behind the great redesign... are NOWHERE to be found.

Thanks
    My Ride

Hey, my FUELLY disappeared. It still shows up when I go to my sig, but it doesn't show up on the screen.

It just reappeared! WTF? Guess I'm not drinking enough before breakfast.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

I'm with you Neaderthal- this "upgrade" is a step back IMO. I hate the 3 word thread title- you have to guess what the thread is about.
    Get used to more.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Send a PM to Administrator with issues. I can tweak settings and fix minor things, but the lion's share of it has to be done by tech.

Thanks

Is there any way to get rid of that dang news ticker and the other stuff on the right hand side so I can have full screen width back and read the entire thread title?

It is such a PITA to read anymore that I don't visit here nearly as much as I used to.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    This is maybe more of a "how do I" issue, but in the old site, I could search for all threads I had posted in. I used to do this to see if any threads I had commented in had new posts as I don't want a whole bunch of notifications -- I'd rather follow up by searching. The new site search doesn't seem to allow for that; searching by username only pulls up threads I started. Is there any way to do this in the new site? I miss this function, particularly when I've been away for a few days.
    Yes you can - I thought the same as you the first time using it - 'till I noticed that the default value is now ? to list by thread which you can change to by post.

Related, we are still capped with, imo, too low a value for search results It would be a lot easier again imo, to have 1,000 plus. I say this because we have a bunch of old threads and old posts that are well worth bringing into today's discussions.

You can't do a big search fast at least in a certain style or style type.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I'll take the old site for ease of reading and user-friendliness any day.
    I'm leaning this way ( strongly) but I also see it as a plus minus kinda' thing and I want to give it more time.

In a sense, it is sorta' an ergonomic issue..... kinda' like today's modern dashboards and cockpits ie too much of a good thing in a sense which means some of the basics and basic 'functionings' are now much more awkward. Like Nav with radio and other controls are - if that makes sense.

On the otherhand, I have some self specific visual acuity and related issues so to be fair, it may be a case where the old one was better for all that ie user specific.

Appreciate and understand the need for change so perhaps a case of dialing it in and getting the final tune. That would be in terms of both the site - and this user.

Bottomline so far, is it is netting a big awkward over here but again.....

I think I'm spending twice as long to get about half as much done or something like that - seems awkward ? in how I can flip around thru the site although I can't tell you why per se.

Quote Originally Posted by prowlerjc View Post
    Is there any way to get rid of that dang news ticker and the other stuff on the right hand side so I can have full screen width back and read the entire thread title?

It is such a PITA to read anymore that I don't visit here nearly as much as I used to.
    This or something 'like it' is a great idea.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 12-08-2011 at 09:03 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

This is my biggest issue with the redesign as well. The right panel is useless and takes up way too much space on the search results/thread pages. It sucks only seeing part of a thread title. When you're actually in a thread the right panels seems to be a more reasonable size (although I'd rather have it gone altogether.) I don't know why that panel expands in other parts of the website.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

How about getting rid of that ANNOYING pop-up ad at the bottom of the page? Its either for Camry or Jaguar. Arrrrrgh!

Thanks
    My Ride

I thought there seemed like a lot less traffic here than before things got "fixed."

nsap, is traffic down or am I hallucinating again?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information