Mods, Other Forum Members, Please Help.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods, Other Forum Members, Please Help.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Mods, Other Forum Members, Please Help.

Listen, I have just been banned from another thread. One in which all I did was respond to a negative post directed at me with the same amount of negativity.

Folks keep telling me that I have an "Agressive" style on here. Can I please have examples of this "aggressiveness"? If I don't know what it is, then I can't stop it. That's number one.

Here's number two: The way I see it, I'm just responding to calls for vehicles I like to be not made anymore, and insults directed at me, those vehicles and others who buy them.

What I want to know is, if there is one set of rules for me because of my vehicle tastes, and another set for those with different ones, please let me know so I can stop posting here. Talking about cars is supposed to be fun, and If I can't do that cause my tastes in cars is considered "Wrong" nor defend myself from attacks, that's no fun for me.

Thank you.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Re: Mods, Other Forum Members, Please Help.

Well this thread will likely be deleted...fair warning.

I was picked on a bit too when I got here. Try to maintain a cool head. Don't fall into "name calling".

For instance, it's ok to call someone's idea retarded. But don't call that member a retard.

Verbal judo is much more effective over verbal kung fu. And it's allowed.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

OLDSCHOOL, who cares what most GMI members (and most of the staff) think of you? Or of your opinions?

This country was made great by people with guts 'n' gumption... not the basketcases that passes for the average citizen.

...and you only come across as "aggressive" to people with deep insecurities. You're not "aggressive" — you're just not a passive-aggressive wussy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by eurohazard View Post

I was picked on a bit too when I got here. Try to maintain a cool head. Don't fall into "name calling".

For instance, it's ok to call someone's idea retarded. But don't call that member a retard.

Thanks for the advise partner. It's much appreciated.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    OLDSCHOOL, who cares what most GMI members (and most of the staff) think of you? Or of your opinions?

This country was made great by people with guts 'n' gumption... not the basketcases that passes for the average citizen.

...and you only come across as "aggressive" to people with deep insecurities. You're not "aggressive" — you're just not a passive-aggressive wussy.

It ain't that I care T. It's the fact that I keep getting banned from threads where all I due is stand up for myself or give back what I get. I'm getting tired of that.

Thanks for the backup.

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

You are obviously very passionate about cars, and that comes across. I've disagreed with your opinions in the past, but I can't fault you for getting riled up and firing back.

For one thing, I initially read into your posts, incorrectly, that you were all about one kind of car being for everyone. I realize now that that is not the case. When you've got 45 seconds to type in a response on a forum, sometimes things don't come across exactly as you intend and sometimes people on this forum, myself included, get the wrong impression.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,180 Times in 4,403 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

^^ Agree with some of the above, especially t-rex.

Some certain mods have some certain agendas.
    I don't know who runs this goat rope or what the internal politics are, but as with all organizations there are some managers who do it better than others.

Maybe one will speak up, or maybe one will speak up and hem and haw.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

just looked into why you were banned and i can't say I agree with it..

edit: this thread won't be deleted
    Last edited by civilzues; 05-27-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    You are obviously very passionate about cars, and that comes across. I've disagreed with your opinions in the past, but I can't fault you for getting riled up and firing back.

For one thing, I initially read into your posts, incorrectly, that you were all about one kind of car being for everyone. I realize now that that is not the case. When you've got 45 seconds to type in a response on a forum, sometimes things don't come across exactly as you intend and sometimes people on this forum, myself included, get the wrong impression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    ^^ Agree with some of the above, especially t-rex.

Some certain mods have some certain agendas.
    I don't know who runs this goat rope or what the internal politics are, but as with all organizations there are some managers who do it better than others.

Maybe one will speak up, or maybe one will speak up and hem and haw.
    Quote Originally Posted by civilzues View Post
    just looked into why you were banned and i can't say I agree with it..

edit: this thread won't be deleted

Thanks for the backup. I never look to start no trouble or problems. I'm just here to talk cars and the auto industry.

Plane, I never had no import for an avatar. Was he talking about me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    Plane, I never had no import for an avatar. Was he talking about me?
    Not about you at all. I enjoy reading your posts.

I may not have ever expressed this before,
    and it may be hard to tell from my posts,
    and this may be a big surprise for some folks here,
    but I'm not a really big fan of imports or import drivers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Not about you at all. I enjoy reading your posts.

I may not have ever expressed this before,
    and it may be hard to tell from my posts,
    and this may be a big surprise for some folks here,
    but I'm not a really big fan of imports or import drivers.
    I find that very hard to believe. I thought you were dreaming of a new Camry?

Hidden Content

fp115: "since when do people use an OS on servers?"

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,375 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

This is pretty much all you need to do. Just calm down a bit when you're posting. If you feel as though someone is attacking you, simply report the post and don't even dignify them with a response. You don't have to respond to everything.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,245 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    Listen, I have just been banned from another thread. One in which all I did was respond to a negative post directed at me with the same amount of negativity.

Folks keep telling me that I have an "Agressive" style on here. Can I please have examples of this "aggressiveness"? If I don't know what it is, then I can't stop it. That's number one.

Here's number two: The way I see it, I'm just responding to calls for vehicles I like to be not made anymore, and insults directed at me, those vehicles and others who buy them.

What I want to know is, if there is one set of rules for me because of my vehicle tastes, and another set for those with different ones, please let me know so I can stop posting here. Talking about cars is supposed to be fun, and If I can't do that cause my tastes in cars is considered "Wrong" nor defend myself from attacks, that's no fun for me.

Thank you.

I was also banned from that thread for "instigating", and I'm assuming you got banned for responding (I don't really know because I never got back there until I was already banned).

My point - since you're asking for "constructive criticism" - was similar to what eurohazard said. Don't attack the person if you don't agree with them, simply refute the point. If they personally attack you, then report them to the mods. You seem to use a lot of uppercase and bolds in your posts, which reads as shouting. That alone can come across as aggressive.

Personally, I don't mind "heated" conversations and discussions, but there are a lot of personal attacks on this site that are ignored. And the moderating is very inconsistent. I've reported to the mods much worse posts than ours by people that constantly attack others, and they were completely ignored. It would seem that if somebody takes the effort to report an offensive post, something ought to be done.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Why would this thread be deleted? I've let far worse go on... You have something to say about the site, by all means- say it. We need to hear stuff like this and it deserves to be discussed. Nothing gets resolved by hiding things.

As the general consensus of this thread states...don't attack people personally for their opinion or argument, just refute their opinion or stance. Basically...be constructive. It really is quite simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan
    Personally, I don't mind "heated" conversations and discussions, but there are a lot of personal attacks on this site that are ignored. And the moderating is very inconsistent. I've reported to the mods much worse posts than ours by people that constantly attack others, and they were completely ignored. It would seem that if somebody takes the effort to report an offensive post, something ought to be done.
    Can't say that I've ever heard of any forum with "consistent" moderation. Someone is always not happy, particularly at large forums.

As I have told you in PM, many of the methods of enforcement are not visible to members. Just because you assume no action was taken, does not mean that is reality. Most of the time it isn't. If you ever have questions about specific posts and how they were handled, just PM a moderator or myself and we'll gladly relay the information.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,245 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Can't say that I've ever heard of any forum with "consistent" moderation. Someone is always not happy, particularly at large forums.

As I have told you in PM, many of the methods of enforcement are not visible to members. Just because you assume no action was taken, does not mean that is reality. Most of the time it isn't. If you ever have questions about specific posts and how they were handled, just PM a moderator or myself and we'll gladly relay the information.
    True. I only know that the posts weren't deleted like they ours appear to have been in this case - and the "harassment" continues periodically. If it becomes a problem, I'll report it again. Thanks.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    True. I only know that the posts weren't deleted like they ours appear to have been in this case - and the "harassment" continues periodically. If it becomes a problem, I'll report it again. Thanks.
    Please do. I check all of the reported posts personally.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information