Infractions Issued: Why Be Standoffish?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Infractions Issued: Why Be Standoffish?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Infractions Issued: Why Be Standoffish?

So, here lately it seems that nearly EVERY time an infraction is issued by a Moderator the recipient of that infraction replies being extremely difficult to deal with. They feel the need to belittle the staff and eventually try to escalate the issue to myself as if being standoffish with my staff and I gets everything reversed.

Why?

I work for an ISP/telco/cable TV provider on the technical side. With that said, I deal with customers every day. The same principles I do my day-job by, I use here. If a customer is being pleasant and willing to let me do my job to resolve their issue, I will help them as much as I possibly can. If I start getting jumped on the minute I walk into their house because their BitTorrent downloads are slow...forget it, I'll be operating on the baseline customer service I'm allowed through work.

So my point here is, why not be a little respectful of the staff when infractions are issued? Nearly everyone on our staff is very approachable and they all know that any issues people have need to be dealt with. We're here to make the site run smoothly, if you're violating a rule, you WILL BE INFRACTED. That is the name of the game. We don't care if you have been a member for 5 years or that you have 10,000 posts. While we appreciate your contributions to the site VERY MUCH, when it comes to Moderating we feel the only correct method is to be entirely unbiased as to whom we moderate.

You're chances of having an infraction reversed by being decent with us are far, far greater than your chances if you feel the need to be a jerk to us. Our Moderators are volunteers that have done an amazing job to make this forum into a respected news site with a spectacular community to back it all up. Please remember that when you are infracted and feel the need to mouth off about it.

If you truly feel you were mistreated or your infraction is illegitimate, just ask the staff member to explain why it was done. At that point if you are still feeling you were treated unfairly, shoot me a PM and I'll review the situation.

No one here is out to mistreat any of our members. We're well aware that our membership is what makes this site. If anyone has issues, please contact a staff member privately or even myself.

Thanks,

Nsap

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Infractions Issued: Why Be Standoffish?

Ok, let me put it to you this way- you drive the same route everyday. You always see this cop at a particular spot. People speed by him all the time and he doesn't do anything. You do it too. Then one day, out of the blue, he pulls you. No warning- just throws the book at you. How would you feel?

Or- one cop watches you all the time and thinks you're a good citizen. You drive the same route everyday and rarely speed at all. One day a rookie cop comes and takes over your area and slaps you with a ticket for playing your music too loud. No warning, just a nice $500 fine. How would you feel?

It's gonna be difficult to police this site when things have been so lax for so long. It's a tough line to walk over which infractions need to be enforced and what can slide. I see yall are cracking down, and that's fine, but you're also losing old members too. If that's not important- rock on. I know there are alot of problematic people, new and old, that need to be dealt with. I just personally lost alot of repect for a mod that IMO abused his power and dealt a $500 fine when a warning would've sufficed.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote Originally Posted by likearock00 View Post
    Ok, let me put it to you this way- you drive the same route everyday. You always see this cop at a particular spot. People speed by him all the time and he doesn't do anything. You do it too. Then one day, out of the blue, he pulls you. No warning- just throws the book at you. How would you feel?

Or- one cop watches you all the time and thinks you're a good citizen. You drive the same route everyday and rarely speed at all. One day a rookie cop comes and takes over your area and slaps you with a ticket for playing your music too loud. No warning, just a nice $500 fine. How would you feel?

It's gonna be difficult to police this site when things have been so lax for so long. It's a tough line to walk over which infractions need to be enforced and what can slide. I see yall are cracking down, and that's fine, but you're also losing old members too. If that's not important- rock on. I know there are alot of problematic people, new and old, that need to be dealt with. I just personally lost alot of repect for a mod that IMO abused his power and dealt a $500 fine when a warning would've sufficed.
    IMHO, it seems so lax because members are not reporting posts. I see a lot of members complaining about some things/members on this board all the time, but I have hardly received any reported posts from them complaining about the poster in question. I don't read 100% of the site, threads, posts, etc. I don't think any other staff member does either. We don't see all and rely on fellow members to report posts so we can see them. This includes political posts, political signatures, political avatars, trolling, name calling, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

See, that logic does not work for me. I speed all the time, but I do it knowing there is a damn good chance I'm probably going to get a ticket some day. I fully EXPECT to get a ticket if I am caught. The "group think" thing has never made sense to me, but I am a perfectionist in going by the book with things.

I'm not saying I am anymore right than the above logic, I'm just admitting that it does nothing for me; both in my personal life and on GMInsidenews.

I've seen the same happen on COPS on TV and I always laugh at the dude pulled over being an ass to the cop because "everyone was doing it." Yeah, that gets you far.

With that said, there is a high chance of getting out of a ticket in that situation if you are just kind and upfront with the cop. "Hey, I know I was speeding a bit, but I was just keeping up with the rest of the traffic that was speeding, etc."

The same applies here. Be an ass with us over a silly infraction and you'll likely get the cold shoulder from the Mod and myself. I will care far less about your "situation" if you are trying to lecture me on how to run the site. Approach us with the attitude that you're willing to work it out, I'll bend over backwards to make sure any wrongs are righted.

Then again, working in customer service totally changes your mindset on things like this, so I'm probably the most strict on this "being courteous to staff" thing.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    IMHO, it seems so lax because members are not reporting posts. I see a lot of members complaining about some things/members on this board all the time, but I have hardly received any reported posts from them complaining about the poster in question. I don't read 100% of the site, threads, posts, etc. I don't think any other staff member does either. We don't see all and rely on fellow members to report posts so we can see them. This includes political posts, political signatures, political avatars, trolling, name calling, etc.
    I don't think anyone wants to report posts. I know I don't. If there was a little button we could press, and then be done with it, that might help.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    I don't think anyone wants to report posts. I know I don't. If there was a little button we could press, and then be done with it, that might help.

Hit that and give a short description and done.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post

Hit that and give a short description and done.
    LOL. I remember that now.

Thanks

Probably a lot of younguns who prefer to bluster and yell, thinking that will change things rather than being nice and pleading their case.

(The second method works better)

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Regardless, if it's against the rules it's against the rules. Rules are being broken - so if that person gets a fine, no one is "abusing" their power. If the site doesn't get moderated and people are allowed to break the rules it will result in a chaotic, uncontrollable situation. Just like anything that functions properly, rules have to be in place.

However, I'll echo what NSAP said in that people underestimate our ability to go out of our way to make sure everything works out when the person has the right attitude. Catch more flies with honey than vinegar!

And ChevyRules is spot on - we aren't able to read over every post on the website. Sometimes things are dealt with when it comes to our attention through a reported post. If there is a rule being broken, report it!
    Last edited by ChevroletRevived; 08-28-2009 at 12:14 PM.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    See, that logic does not work for me. I speed all the time, but I do it knowing there is a damn good chance I'm probably going to get a ticket some day. I fully EXPECT to get a ticket if I am caught. The "group think" thing has never made sense to me, but I am a perfectionist in going by the book with things.

I'm not saying I am anymore right than the above logic, I'm just admitting that it does nothing for me; both in my personal life and on GMInsidenews.

I've seen the same happen on COPS on TV and I always laugh at the dude pulled over being an ass to the cop because "everyone was doing it." Yeah, that gets you far.

With that said, there is a high chance of getting out of a ticket in that situation if you are just kind and upfront with the cop. "Hey, I know I was speeding a bit, but I was just keeping up with the rest of the traffic that was speeding, etc."

The same applies here. Be an ass with us over a silly infraction and you'll likely get the cold shoulder from the Mod and myself. I will care far less about your "situation" if you are trying to lecture me on how to run the site. Approach us with the attitude that you're willing to work it out, I'll bend over backwards to make sure any wrongs are righted.

Then again, working in customer service totally changes your mindset on things like this, so I'm probably the most strict on this "being courteous to staff" thing.
    The problem are the double standards . . . that is what may be the final straw for many people. Being standoffish is not always a choice but a reaction.

I have chosen to remain cool, just because I don't give GMI the importance I used to, but I can see how some people may get upset when they get an infraction for doing the same or less than other do, or worse . . . like getting bogus infractions.
    Last edited by Simon says; 08-28-2009 at 12:21 PM.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Sometimes if my parents punished me for breaking the rules I would complained if I thought I was innocent and hard done by.

But then they would just say: "Well then that's for all the times you broke the rules and got away with it......"

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon says View Post
    The problem are the double standards . . . that is what may be the final straw for many people. Being standoffish is not always a choice but a reaction.

I have chosen to remain cool, just because I don't give GMI the importance I used to, but I can see how some people may get upset when they get an infraction for doing the same or less than other do, or worse . . . like getting bogus infractions.
    And most of the double standards that some suggest exist only suggest that because they are misinformed as to what all goes on. Unless you can see the Moderator Logs and view our Mod Board, you are rather clueless as to how and who is being moderated. I know several of our Ford folks learned that during your absence...assuming we do nothing to people that troll in the Ford threads, which in fact that is not true at all. It's just more fun to play the victim I guess.

Thanks

Some time ago I contacted a moderator to inquire about exactly what an infraction does; I wasn't even answered. So I just chalked it up to nothing, unimportant! Please understand something about me: If it does not cost me anything, I won't make money on it, or it won't get me laid, it's not a issue. But if there is something of value, we'll fight until the death!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    And most of the double standards that some suggest exist only suggest that because they are misinformed as to what all goes on. Unless you can see the Moderator Logs and view our Mod Board, you are rather clueless as to how and who is being moderated. I know several of our Ford folks learned that during your absence...assuming we do nothing to people that troll in the Ford threads, which in fact that is not true at all. It's just more fun to play the victim I guess.
    I will believe that the day I see Rotorocked banned, don't expect me to read mods minds. The trolling activity of this guy is intense AND constant but then I get banned for daring to criticize the 320 mpg campaign, not the VOLT which I have always said how much I like and how much of a game changer I believe it is, but the campaign.

Its a double standard, period. I am fine with it though, I know its a thing I have to live with while I am here, which is exactly the intended purpose. Not a big deal, I don't see my self as a victim, but apparently you do.

My other infraction: "use of inappropriate language" for posting an oversized smiley celebrating some good Ford news . . .
    Big smiley = Innapropiate language you do the math . . .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post
    Sometimes if my parents punished me for breaking the rules I would complained if I thought I was innocent and hard done by.

But then they would just say: "Well then that's for all the times you broke the rules and got away with it......"

I always wondered what my parents did while I slept. Apparently they went to Oz and raised Monaro.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information