GMI Market Research (What do you want to see?)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Poll: What kind of content do you want to see GMI add?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GMI Market Research (What do you want to see?)

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Give Nsap and the staff some indication of what we need more of!

The last year has been a really good one for GMI. We're bigger than ever, discussions are back to products (not bankruptcies) and most importantly...General Motors has welcomed us with open arms. We have more potential than ever, largely in thanks to the excellent community of gear heads we have here at GMI.

We're all about constant improvement with the site. The thing is, we (the staff) aren't the ones that matter in terms of improvements...it's you guys. To avoid the staff being in our own little world, let's hear what you guys would like to see us do on the site in terms of content.

Here are a few things we have planned in the coming months (before year's end), so if something isn't listed and you'd like to see it, tell us!!

• Total redesign on the front page, beautiful blog/forum integration
    • Updating future product guide (eventually, sorry guys!!)
    • Holden product reviews
    • GMNA product reviews (we're in the GM press fleet with high priority, just have logistics issues to work out)
    • Restarting Revitalization In Action
    • Continued coverage of all the major auto shows
    • Continued interaction from Holden and GM on the site

As you see, I have put a poll up on this post as well with some general stuff that I suspect will be of high priority to you guys. Please vote for what you would like and post if you have specifics!!

Also, while I have your attention. Make sure to support GMI on our Facebook page (link my sig!). You can also follow me and GMI on Twitter. I'm @nsap and GMI is @REALGMI.
    Last edited by nsap; 02-15-2010 at 09:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: GMI Market Research (What do you want to see?)

I miss the chat feature.

So...is this site moving into more of news magazine and primary source of news and less of a discussion forum based on secondary postings of news?

That's a major shift. If that's what you want to do, then you'll have to go whole hog: instrumented testing (every Joe blogger can tell you how a door panel feels, but how quiet is it inside? That's still what separates the real car magazines from the fanboy sites), video reviews, more use of photos, and comparison tests should all be in the cards.

If you want to change this site, then do it for real.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Impeach NSAP.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I came here for the future product news, I stayed for the future product news.

Future Product News.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I came here for the future product news, I stayed for the future product news.

Future Product News.
    I come here too often for that, and AMIABLE in-depth, plus fun light-hearted discussions. Cool to engage with car freaks sharing one's feeling, plus listening to folks who feel completely different. I would not want GMI to stray too far from that. I think it would suck big time if GMI became a marketing arm of GM, either by design or by default.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    I miss the chat feature.

So...is this site moving into more of news magazine and primary source of news and less of a discussion forum based on secondary postings of news?

That's a major shift. If that's what you want to do, then you'll have to go whole hog: instrumented testing (every Joe blogger can tell you how a door panel feels, but how quiet is it inside? That's still what separates the real car magazines from the fanboy sites), video reviews, more use of photos, and comparison tests should all be in the cards.

If you want to change this site, then do it for real.
    I think it would be inaccurate to say we're shifting our focus. My strategy centers more around two core competencies of the site; unique content and being the place people come to DISCUSS secondary news coverage. When the redesign comes it will be clear what our strategy is. Our unique content will be posted to a blog/static page, however you hit "Comment" and you are taken to the thread with it to discuss. All secondary coverage will be on the forum like today. The entire system is still vBulletin, so its flawlessly integrated.

You'll never see GMI go to all-unique content. I don't believe in the paraphrasing journalism that most blogs today partake in. GMI content is either going to be based on our own sources, our own commentary, investigating, reviewing or press releases. Anyone can paraphrase an Automotive News story. I would just as well post a third of the article directly and link back to them. Everyone wins then.

KAD
    Thanks

Really looking forward to the new design. Been wanting to see a fresher GMI for some time now!

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I think it would suck big time if GMI became a marketing arm of GM, either by design or by default.
    Trust me, they already know GMI's purpose for their marketing efforts: it's market RESEARCH. Pretty much every employee I talked to in Detroit (this is beyond PR people) admitted they visit GMI fairly often. The Buick marketing guys, lead Regal engineer, Chevrolet designer, etc...for example, visit GMI often.

That is what sets us apart from most enthusiast sites in my opinion. We're not a squawk box about GM, we're sort of in some odd way intertwined with the fabric of GM, only on a complete third-party basis. It's an exciting position to be in!!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

This site should utilize its broad reach and GM connections and have regional ride and drives with new GM vehicles. The Cobalt forum got to drive the SS Turbo way before anyone else. Why them and not us? Or why not reach out to us at auto shows and offer an early show, like they did for GM-Volt members? Seems like they've purposely ignored this site and its members.

Perhaps that should be on your agenda.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 cbennie2's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Saturn Astra Twilight Blu

I said podcasts. I know a lot of articles refer to interviews, it would be neat to hear them along with other commentary on the industry, plus other features that can be conceived with the podcasts....plus then I'd have a reason to go to itunes=)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    Impeach NSAP.
    second
    I'd like the informational parts of the site updated, like the future product guide, platform guide...but I think you know that already
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

Thanks

The engine, transmission, plant and overall product specification information that was put together 1-2 years back IIRC, was pretty good.

Oh yeah, and that "moderator for a day" feature......you know that unspoken agreement we've never talked about, despite me writing you 3 emails a day for the past two years........

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Ugh. Young people. I'd rather a see simple improvements to the current setup than any sort of major change.

It's like when your favorite fast-food frypit drops the tasty classic grease-laden items off their menu, to be replaced by "trendy" stupid ciabatta-chipotle-angus things that nobody wants...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" should be proscribed into law... a constitutional amendment if necessary!

Thanks

As a user who accesses this site often through a mobile phone browser, an RSS feed to let me get the latest News Ticker articles would be great.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    Ugh. Young people. I'd rather a see simple improvements to the current setup than any sort of major change.

It's like when your favorite fast-food frypit drops the tasty classic grease-laden items off their menu, to be replaced by "trendy" stupid ciabatta-chipotle-angus things that nobody wants...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" should be proscribed into law... a constitutional amendment if necessary!
    Nothing major is changing outside of the front page, and that is a change to make the front page easier to read and allow more content on it. The current one is a cluttered mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    As a user who accesses this site often through a mobile phone browser, an RSS feed to let me get the latest News Ticker articles would be great.
    RSS feed is on my want list!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information