GMI Censorship...Is it still shameful?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GMI Censorship...Is it still shameful?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

GMI Censorship...Is it still shameful?

Well, it's been quite a while since I've checked out GMI and even longer since I've posted (nearly 5 months).

In looking at the some of the more recent threads, I couldn't help but notice a few obvious change, so here are my observations after almost 5 months of self-imposed exile:

- Mgescuro is no longer a moderator. Great move. No point in having an anti-GM mod. It just didn't make sense.

- Fewer editorial rants. This applies mainly to Sigma. While I'll gladly admit that his work was always cleverly constructed and well-worded, the analysis was usually completely wrong and poorly researched. Nice to see less of this. I think a majority of members frequent the site for the wealth of information it provides, not for the misguided rants of just "some guy".

And finally, and most important:

- The threads are less politicized. My biggest beef was the lack of fairness in being able to express a political point of view on threads in which it was relevent. It appears that there is much less of it now. There are still a few rugged posts here and there, but it appears to be civil and somewhat balanced. Perhaps the censorship is more transparant, but it seems that people are allowed to speak their minds without too much hassle, and I believe that's a good thing.

My hat is off to NSAP for cleaning things up. We may not agree on the specific circumstances that lead to my departure, but I appreciate what he has obviously done to remedy what were serious issues within this community.

Great job.

So, as Manny said...

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Hey its nice to have you back, I was making comments about why so many people come to this site and bash gm and report on so many non gm cars! The editor of this site told me to stop asking those q's, which I think is horrible! Why dont you send me a message and tell me what you think about it, as for this site I really like the info I get!

I stopped making those kind of post cuz they said they would take my membership, which I think is crap but if i want to come to this site I have to follow their rules! Have a great day!

So, as Manny said...

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

THATS NOT WHAT MANNY SAID! THATS WHAT MJ SAID! THEN HE DROPPED 55 AGAINST THE KNICKS!
    Last edited by ChevyRules; 09-25-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: please use the multi-quote function or edit post. Please do not post multiple replies in a row.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: GMI Censorship...Is it still shameful?

Welcome back. Much like General Motors, GMI has revamped its marketing direction (lets be honest, that controls 90% of what goes on here...how we portray ourselves) in the last few months and will continue to evolve even further in the coming weeks.

I continue to stand by what I said when you left. I'm generally very well aware of issues that are happening within the community on a broad scale; more than some people think, unfortunately however, I cannot just snap my fingers and fix it all. The site is too large for quick fixes; hense why it takes awhile for morale, direction, and community changes. Yet another parallel to GM.

As I have said numerous times, the Staff and I cannot please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman1973 View Post
    Hey its nice to have you back, I was making comments about why so many people come to this site and bash gm and report on so many non gm cars! The editor of this site told me to stop asking those q's, which I think is horrible! Why dont you send me a message and tell me what you think about it, as for this site I really like the info I get!
    I guess I was not clear enough. As I told you privately, GMI is a site that focuses on the entire automotive industry, but has a sharper focus on General Motors. Coming here you are going to see news about every automaker, not just GM. I know that probably seems odd to some, but that has been the direction we have taken since day one. While you are most certainly entitled to that opinion, it is simply one of those things that is not going to be changing and if it upsets you, you probably would not enjoy being on GMI. We do not force anyone to read anything; simply avoid the Competition forums if you don't want to see it.

Posting about it in every non-GM thread was simply annoying and we were getting complaints about it from the community.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Welcome to the "New GMI"! A leaner, meaner, and less censoring website.

I think I've also seen a general (albeit slight) improvement... hard to quantify, since we're talking about a limited number of individual events, but I do think there's been improvement. So congrats.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Also, here's a welcome present just for you, so I can justify the word "slight" that I used before the word "improvement" in my previous post.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-mexico-84552/

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,426 Posts

I've never had a whole lot of issues with the site.

Sometimes what is shut down and what is allowed to go on seems rather inconsistent.

Shutting things down that become "too political" often seems foolish to me. If the conversation is polite and it is at least related to the auto industry, why shut it down? Obviously, a lot of political conversation gets too heated and often profane, but if it doesn't get to that level, why not let it continue?

Why do people get so upset at the mear mention of anything political, regardless of the tone? Politics effects absolutely everything in life. People go too far with it, and I'm guilty too. But it's pretty tough to disassociate politics from everything. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

Sigma shut down a thread yesterday in the industry news section, the title had to do with an old Keith Olbermann piece about the supposed $70/hour wages in the domestic industry. The thread had been inactive for a while, but was active again. The conversation was about unions, salaries, and health care. It wasn't an angry thread. The posts were polite, and the topic still relevant.

He shut it down, admonishing people not to re-open old threads and he didn't understand how this one wasn't noticed earlier.

Nothing impolite was going on. It was a decent conversation. I don't understand decisions like that. I think he said something about it no longer being relevant and adding nothing to the overall conversation. What, it was of less value than "Is the Pontiac Firebird to Return?"
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post

Sometimes what is shut down and what is allowed to go on seems rather inconsistent.

Shutting things down that become "too political" often seems foolish to me. If the conversation is polite and it is at least related to the auto industry, why shut it down? Obviously, a lot of political conversation gets too heated and often profane, but if it doesn't get to that level, why not let it continue?

Why do people get so upset at the mear mention of anything political, regardless of the tone? Politics effects absolutely everything in life. People go too far with it, and I'm guilty too. But it's pretty tough to disassociate politics from everything. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

Sigma shut down a thread yesterday in the industry news section, the title had to do with an old Keith Olbermann piece about the supposed $70/hour wages in the domestic industry. The thread had been inactive for a while, but was active again. The conversation was about unions, salaries, and health care. It wasn't an angry thread. The posts were polite, and the topic still relevant.

He shut it down, admonishing people not to re-open old threads and he didn't understand how this one wasn't noticed earlier.

Nothing impolite was going on. It was a decent conversation. I don't understand decisions like that. I think he said something about it no longer being relevant and adding nothing to the overall conversation. What, it was of less value than "Is the Pontiac Firebird to Return?"
    We tried to allow general politics awhile ago. While the majority were polite, there were people who could not keep things polite. And they were loud and became a huge distraction for the staff from moderating the rest of the site. So the experiment failed and thus general politics are banned. If a political auto industry thread goes off into general politics it will be closed and if needed, members hit with political post warning/infraction.

Thanks

It was mostly Chevy Rules causing the problems. When he realized that was the case, he started hitting himself with political post warnings/infractions. After that, things really quieted down.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    Also, here's a welcome present just for you, so I can justify the word "slight" that I used before the word "improvement" in my previous post.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-mexico-84552/
    I was going to close that thread myself, but he beat me to it. It's a one-off article that is far from being confirmed or substantiated. If we hear a more official word on the issue, I'll reopen it. Perhaps someone from the Shreveport plant can e-mail me or something to verify the information?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post

We tried politics and the membership allowed it to be revoked. I'm pretty open-minded to trying just about anything on the site once. The membership begged for politics, so you got it last year (going against most of the staff's judgment). Toward the end of the near 4 month stint of political discussion I had members that wanted politics in the beginning contacting me, begging for me to remove politics because it was creating so many problems.

With that said, I'm done with it. The membership proved they cannot handle political discussion without such spilling over into every forum. That is not acceptable and frankly, the staff can devote their time to more productive manners (such as writing) instead of moderating a bunch of political commentary and pissing matches.

I don't mind allowing industry-related politics, but even they are going to be on a tight leash. Come to GMI to discuss GM and their products, not Obama and his decisions. I'm certain there are a number of political forums out there, GMI isn't one of them. And yes, I'm aware that the government is a massive stakeholder in General Motors, but so far they are nothing more than a shareholder...discussions of it should not even be prominent.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I was going to close that thread myself, but he beat me to it. It's a one-off article that is far from being confirmed or substantiated. If we hear a more official word on the issue, I'll reopen it. Perhaps someone from the Shreveport plant can e-mail me or something to verify the information?
    If you don't want us to be able to discuss things that are "far from being confirmed or substantiated", then you should be coherent and close that section of the site:
    GMI Rumor Mill

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you don't want us to be able to discuss things that are "far from being confirmed or substantiated", then you should be coherent and close that section of the site:
    GMI Rumor Mill
    Product rumors are one thing, politically-motivated is yet another.

Things in the Rumor Mill are not baseless accusations, but actually based on information.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

And yes, I'm aware that the government is a massive stakeholder in General Motors, but so far they are nothing more than a shareholder...discussions of it should not even be prominent.
    FYI, Kirk Kerkorian at <10% was prominently discussed on GMI back when he was a shareholder... I've never seen any discussion censored solely because it was about Kirk, Jerry York (on the Board), or Tracinda.

And that's for a shareholder owning a meager <10% of GM... not 60%+

You seem to think shareholders somehow shouldn't be discussed as this forum is about vehicles, but still I'm sure other automotive discussion forums allow non-censored discussion of shareholders/owners (Renault for Nissan forums, Quandt family for BMW forums, Cerberus for Mopar forums, etc.) You just can't pretend there's no relation between the company, the products, and the owners.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Product rumors are one thing, politically-motivated is yet another.

Things in the Rumor Mill are not baseless accusations, but actually based on information.
    All of them are "confirmed and substantiated"? Weird, I seem to recall plenty of things read in the Rumor Mill that never came to fruition... Not going to bother digging up anything, but I'm not sure there's such a rumor filtering on GMI, unless it's a recent idea.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

FYI, Kirk Kerkorian at <10% was prominently discussed on GMI back when he was a shareholder... I've never seen any discussion censored solely because it was about Kirk, Jerry York (on the Board), or Tracinda.

And that's for a shareholder owning a meager <10% of GM... not 60%+

You seem to think shareholders somehow shouldn't be discussed as this forum is about vehicles, but still I'm sure other automotive discussion forums allow non-censored discussion of shareholders/owners (Renault for Nissan forums, Quandt family for BMW forums, Cerberus for Mopar forums, etc.) You just can't pretend there's no relation between the company, the products, and the owners.
    What's your point? I have no problem with discussion of shareholders--including the government-- my point was that government involvement in the daily operation of General Motors has been virtually non-existent. In other words, there isn't much to discuss.

All of them are "confirmed and substantiated"? Weird, I seem to recall plenty of things read in the Rumor Mill that never came to fruition... Not going to bother digging up anything, but I'm not sure there's such a rumor filtering on GMI, unless it's a recent idea.
    If it is in the Rumor Mill it is at the very least based on legitimate information. I cannot say that about the Hummer piece. The piece reads like pure speculation, which I would like to think is something you won't find in the Rumor Mill.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information