GMI Censorship is Shameful.

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 117

Thread: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

  1. #1
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
    Posts
    4,198
    Thanks
    785
    Thanked 880 Times in 496 Posts

    GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    I've had enough.

    Today, Adplusone posted a thread citing a Detroit News editorial in which the Obama Administration's handling of the auto bankruptcies was criticized. There was much debate, however, it remained civil and did not degenerate to name-calling.

    Unfortunately, despite the civility of the discourse, certain posts displaying a conservative point of view were deleted, then the thread was was closed. this, despite the fact that a warning to "keep it nice" from a moderator was actually heeded and obeyed.

    This leads me to believe that if your point of view does not fit the editorial narrative of GMI, then your post will be deleted, no matter how civil and factual.

    This is reprehensible and wreaks of the same stench that now taints the highest levels of our government: The silencing of those who don't agree with people in power.

    I do understand that posting on GMI is not a first amendment right, and that it's a privilige. I get that. What is not understood by most of the mods here, is that having a loyal membership base that contributes is also something that must be earned. Unfortunately, a medium such as this site, indeed ANY information medium, cannot expect to maintain it's membership if it maintains a policy of alienating those who don't toe the "official line". I give you the nearly bankrupt New York Times and Boston Globe as examples of media who have lost the public's trust due to their iron fist, one-sided editorialization of events.

    A double-standard exists on GMI by which an ill-informed moderator can post long, rambling editorials under the guise of "news", yet when a "regular" member posts an opposing viewpoint, it's either edited for content or deleted altogether. To me, this is the most offensive and obvious example of the bias of which I'm speaking.


    In several posts here, I have railed against those moderators who would squelch opposing views (you know who you are, ChevyRules, Sigma and others), earning infraction points in the process. During this time, NSAP has been one of very few moderators who provide a voice of reason and a desire to "make things right". Unfortunately, he can't be everywhere, and it's ridiculous to have to report each moderator overindulgence, as it's easy to lose count. And it's ridiculous.

    For these reasons, this is my final post and contribution to GMInsidenews.com. I will miss the advanced product information NSAP works so hard to gather, however, I cannot continue to spend time on a site where the opposing viewpoint is dismissed with the click of a mouse. I will get my information from elsewhere and find another outlet to which I can supply my spy photos. It saddens me that it's come to this, as I've been here virtually since day 1 in January 2003, but as they say, All good things...

    So, to NSAP, Ming, TaHoe, GMCSonoma, Perian, Nadepalma, thanks for your efforts in trying to keep the site editorially balanced. It was appreciated.

    Peace to all!

    PS.
    Note to the moderators. I will not be responding to any further posts or private messages. If you feel the need to respond to me, you can do so by deleting my account or banning me from the site, however, no matter the course action taken, I challenge the GMI staff not to remove this post, so that my final contribution to this site isn't wasted.
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jmlee0695's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge,la
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    I've had enough.

    Today, Adplusone posted a thread citing a Detroit News editorial in which the Obama Administration's handling of the auto bankruptcies was criticized. There was much debate, however, it remained civil and did not degenerate to name-calling.

    Unfortunately, despite the civility of the discourse, certain posts displaying a conservative point of view were deleted, then the thread was was closed. this, despite the fact that a warning to "keep it nice" from a moderator was actually heeded and obeyed.

    This leads me to believe that if your point of view does not fit the editorial narrative of GMI, then your post will be deleted, no matter how civil and factual.

    This is reprehensible and wreaks of the same stench that now taints the highest levels of our government: The silencing of those who don't agree with people in power.

    I do understand that posting on GMI is not a first amendment right, and that it's a privilige. I get that. What is not understood by most of the mods here, is that having a loyal membership base that contributes is also something that must be earned. Unfortunately, a medium such as this site, indeed ANY information medium, cannot expect to maintain it's membership if it maintains a policy of alienating those who don't toe the "official line". I give you the nearly bankrupt New York Times and Boston Globe as examples of media who have lost the public's trust due to their iron fist, one-sided editorialization of events.

    A double-standard exists on GMI by which an ill-informed moderator can post long, rambling editorials under the guise of "news", yet when a "regular" member posts an opposing viewpoint, it's either edited for content or deleted altogether. To me, this is the most offensive and obvious example of the bias of which I'm speaking.


    In several posts here, I have railed against those moderators who would squelch opposing views (you know who you are, ChevyRules, Sigma and others), earning infraction points in the process. During this time, NSAP has been one of very few moderators who provide a voice of reason and a desire to "make things right". Unfortunately, he can't be everywhere, and it's ridiculous to have to report each moderator overindulgence, as it's easy to lose count. And it's ridiculous.

    For these reasons, this is my final post and contribution to GMInsidenews.com. I will miss the advanced product information NSAP works so hard to gather, however, I cannot continue to spend time on a site where the opposing viewpoint is dismissed with the click of a mouse. I will get my information from elsewhere and find another outlet to which I can supply my spy photos. It saddens me that it's come to this, as I've been here virtually since day 1 in January 2003, but as they say, All good things...

    So, to NSAP, Ming, TaHoe, GMCSonoma, Perian, Nadepalma, thanks for your efforts in trying to keep the site editorially balanced. It was appreciated.

    Peace to all!

    PS.
    Note to the moderators. I will not be responding to any further posts or private messages. If you feel the need to respond to me, you can do so by deleting my account or banning me from the site, however, no matter the course action taken, I challenge the GMI staff not to remove this post, so that my final contribution to this site isn't wasted.
    Your kinda right about the newer mods, they do have itchy trigger fingers.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "I used to drive a Toyota, I gave it to my mother-in-law"

  4. #3
    1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Pioneer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    A double-standard exists on GMI
    No doubt. I received infraction points for calling somebody here an "idiot", but that members insults toward me and my family were ignored by the mods.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jmlee0695's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge,la
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    No doubt. I received infraction points for calling somebody here an "idiot", but that members insults toward me and my family were ignored by the mods.
    Was it cmicasa, because he has been banned
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "I used to drive a Toyota, I gave it to my mother-in-law"

  7. #5
    Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,951
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 422 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    No doubt. I received infraction points for calling somebody here an "idiot", but that members insults toward me and my family were ignored by the mods.
    No it wasn't. I did the honors.

    Also, I closed the thread in question
    , not any "new" mod. Why? I wouldn't have allowed it from the get-go. We tried politics on here once folks and for the most part people blew it and I will not ever allow the "open range" of political discussions again.

    The article was an editorial piece. We're allowing political discussion related to the industry (since politics is a HUGE part of the industry right now), but only WHEN IT IS NEWS. I see no need to discuss commentary politics on here.

    Had I seen the thread earlier, it would have been closed before even a single reply was made. I do not care what your political preference is. Why? I'm not here to discuss and debate politics, I'm here to talk about GM and the auto industry.

    Vansmack, you are now the poster-child of why GMI will never have unnecessary political discussions. They create problems with otherwise awesome members and the feuds the staff have to put up with in moderating them are flat out ridiculous.

    It is obvious which of you were not around back in 2003-2004 when GMI had much stricter rules. We held this site to very professional regard, and frankly, I would like to see it come back.

    Note to staff: Leave this open.

  8. #6
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jmlee0695's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge,la
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    No it wasn't. I did the honors.

    Also, I closed the thread in question
    , not any "new" mod. Why? I wouldn't have allowed it from the get-go. We tried politics on here once folks and for the most part people blew it and I will not ever allow the "open range" of political discussions again.

    The article was an editorial piece. We're allowing political discussion related to the industry (since politics is a HUGE part of the industry right now), but only WHEN IT IS NEWS. I see no need to discuss commentary politics on here.

    Had I seen the thread earlier, it would have been closed before even a single reply was made. I do not care what your political preference is. Why? I'm not here to discuss and debate politics, I'm here to talk about GM and the auto industry.

    Vansmack, you are now the poster-child of why GMI will never have unnecessary political discussions. They create problems with otherwise awesome members and the feuds the staff have to put up with in moderating them are flat out ridiculous.

    It is obvious which of you were not around back in 2003-2004 when GMI had much stricter rules. We held this site to very professional regard, and frankly, I would like to see it come back.

    Note to staff: Leave this open.
    Trust me, I understand the need for strictness on a site this big. With over 40k members, you can't afford to go easy
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "I used to drive a Toyota, I gave it to my mother-in-law"

  9. #7
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 'Vette Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,788
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 328 Times in 137 Posts

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    I have sadly noticed this too. I try to keep my conservative point of view out of my posts, and avoid those kind of threads, because I know my point of view will get squashed.
    Last edited by 'Vette Dude; 05-07-2009 at 09:01 PM.
    2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    2008 Saturn Aura 3.5
    2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4T

  10. #8
    Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,951
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 422 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Some facts about the thread in question:

    • NO POSTS WERE DELETED, other than a STAFF member's post.
    • NO POSTS WERE EDITED
    • ****I, Nsap*** closed it on my accord.


    Another reason I don't want politics on here...emotions get high and then all sense of reason goes out the window.

  11. #9
    Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,951
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 422 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmlee0695 View Post
    Trust me, I understand the need for strictness on a site this big. With over 40k members, you can't afford to go easy
    If I get my way we're going to migrate back to how things were in 2003-4.

  12. #10
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 'Vette Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,788
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 328 Times in 137 Posts

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Some facts about the thread in question:

    • NO POSTS WERE DELETED, other than a STAFF member's post.
    • NO POSTS WERE EDITED
    • ****I, Nsap*** closed it on my accord.


    Another reason I don't want politics on here...emotions get high and then all sense of reason goes out the window.
    NSAP, I really respect how you try to oust politics, because I always get uncomfortable with political threads because I hold what appears to be an opposing point of view to most of GMI's members. GMI is not the place I want politics. I want this to be my car site, not my "lets bash conservatives" site. If I wanted that, I would have MSNBC on in the background, and a WSJ paper in front of me. Thank you for you efforts to keep GMI a car site.
    2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    2008 Saturn Aura 3.5
    2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4T

  13. #11
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Posts
    4,637
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    If I get my way we're going to migrate back to how things were in 2003-4.
    thats good because I usually stay out of thread wars and some of the political threads here when they were still around were completely getting out of hand. I think a change back to 2003-3004 rules is needed. For me I just focused on what matters and I enjoyed and still have fun here on GMI and in a way I have carved a decent reputation for myself as one of GMI's few resident spy photogs (a hobby that i still enjoy doing everyday)
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”


    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

  14. #12
    Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,951
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 422 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by 'Vette Dude View Post
    NSAP, I really respect how you try to oust politics, because I always get uncomfortable with political threads because I hold what appears to be an opposing point of view to most of GMI's members. GMI is not the place I want politics. I want this to be my car site, not my "lets bash conservatives" site. If I wanted that, I would have MSNBC on in the background, and a WSJ paper in front of me. Thank you for you efforts to keep GMI a car site.
    I appreciate the comments.

    With all do respect, the majority of our site is of the conservative base. I'm basing that on site demographic stats, not my opinion. We're a global website today, which we were not back in 2003, so frankly, the conservative/liberal argument is moot. We're dealing with every demo on the planet now.

  15. #13
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 'Vette Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,788
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked 328 Times in 137 Posts

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I appreciate the comments.

    With all do respect, the majority of our site is of the conservative base. I'm basing that on site demographic stats, not my opinion. We're a global website today, which we were not back in 2003, so frankly, the conservative/liberal argument is moot. We're dealing with every demo on the planet now.
    Okay. It is just that in political threads, it is the liberals that have the louder voice.
    2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    2008 Saturn Aura 3.5
    2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4T

  16. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TiburonJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    5,899
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Focus SE 5-Door 5MT

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by 'Vette Dude View Post
    NSAP, I really respect how you try to oust politics, because I always get uncomfortable with political threads because I hold what appears to be an opposing point of view to most of GMI's members. GMI is not the place I want politics. I want this to be my car site, not my "lets bash conservatives" site. If I wanted that, I would have MSNBC on in the background, and a WSJ paper in front of me. Thank you for you efforts to keep GMI a car site.
    Based on years of posting on this site, I am sure there are more conservatives on this site than liberals.

    I think GMI should limit political discussions more. It seems like politics has entered this site more frequently in the past several months.
    Last edited by TiburonJT; 05-07-2009 at 09:26 PM.

  17. #15
    Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,951
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 422 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: GMI Censorship is Shameful.

    Quote Originally Posted by 'Vette Dude View Post
    Okay. It is just that in political threads, it is the liberals that have the louder voice.
    And conservatives were causing myself and the staff a great deal of grief last year (cough..HoosierRon...cough). When our Legislative and Executive branches of government changed hands, so did GMI's side of political trouble. It seems that individuals are more cocky with their politics when their ideals control government.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2