Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge? - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge?

Thanks

Re: Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge?

Threads are closed and deleted when they don't conform with the rules. We don't discuss politics and controversial issues outside of the automotive sphere of interest here (and gay marriage certainly isn't one), simply because such discussions in Internet forums rarely don't degenerate into something truly awful. Those are the site rules. If you wanted to discuss while Sarah Palin is the greatest thing ever, you'd have your thread closed and deleted as well.

Again, if you want to point fingers, please do. I find it extremely in bad taste to throw about accusations that way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TuffG929 View Post
    I know that the vast majority of contributing members on this site are very tolerant, but there are a few bad apples. And while I don't doubt your judgement, I find it a little difficult to completely dismiss the idea when I see certain threads closed or deleted simply because they are in poor taste or don't represent "family values" and others in similar vein (sans references to homosexuality) remain open. I don't care to cite specific examples at the moment but if need be I can.
    I would appreciate if you could give me explicit examples privately. Public accusations do not fix problems.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I would appreciate if you could give me explicit examples privately. Public accusations do not fix problems.
    I will

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

That Glee thread is full of racist comments if you ask me. Just came from there and I was plum disgusted!
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    That Glee thread is full of racist comments if you ask me. Just came from there and I was plum disgusted!
    Wait, what? The thread about the TV show? There's racism in there? I usually have my racism detector cranked up to 11 and I don't recall seeing anything like that. Do you have a link to a post?

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,396 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

DO NOT USE THIS THREAD TO DISCUSS POLITICS.

If it wasn't allowed in the other thread, what do you think makes it okay to discuss it here?
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    In this case there really isn't a discussion or debate. The judge already made the decision, its a done deal. The thread would have eventually become a shouting match of rational sane human beings vs homophobic bigots so its probably best it didn't continue on.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    It is a civil rights issue, that was corrected by the judge today.

And it will be upheld by the US Supreme Court based on the evidence at hand. Then everyone can just shut up about it and live their own lives and let the government can finally stop sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong.

And yes, the GMI moderation gods really don't have a handle on moderation. Never have. Never will... despite attempts to change it and be better about it. And they try.

And this one will be closed as well.
    Ironic that posts like this are allowed. I guess I will try to disguise my opinions better next time. Reminds me of a woman I once heard tell me that only caucasians are racists.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by N8s07ss View Post
    Ironic that posts like this are allowed. I guess I will try to disguise my opinions better next time. Reminds me of a woman I once heard tell me that only caucasians are racists.
    No, next time report any posts that are against the rules instead of replying to them.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    No, next time report any posts that are against the rules instead of replying to them.
    I never was much of a rat, and honestly I could care less. I apologize, I did not know the rules were that strict. I will refrain next time.

On a serious note (I swear, this isn't sarcasm), is that how threads/posts get closed/deleted? A member must report something to a mod for it to be reviewed? If so, it sheds so much light to the discussion of this thread.

Thanks
    My Ride

I never was much of a rat, and honestly I could care less.

On a serious note (I swear, this isn't sarcasm), is that how threads/posts get closed/deleted? A member must report something to a mod for it to be reviewed? If so, it sheds so much light to the discussion of this thread.
    No, not always, but this is a big site and we can't be everywhere at once.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,681 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

I never was much of a rat, and honestly I could care less. I apologize, I did not know the rules were that strict. I will refrain next time.
    Mods are volunteer. They really cant police every post.

Members can report disturbances and then the mods can decide if it will pass or if it will go.

Its not about being a "rat" but about wanting to keep the forum as healthy as possible. By allowing posts that obviously and maliciously go after certain members, it destroys that healthy feel of it.

Its very easy to find a forum that does NOT have that feel and once you find them, you tend to not visit.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I see this sort of "moderation" part of the same sort of social control that many on this board are expressing their disdain for. IMO, unfiltering posts/threads/content gives a more accurate representation of what exists in our society. If you had to pay to be a member of this site, then I would agree with you 100%. Maybe I just have a little more faith in humanity than most, and tend to have a pretty thick skin, so it's all good. Don't mean to cause any trouble. In the end, it's my fault for not thouroughly reading the rules & regulations when I registered to the forum

Banned
    Thanks

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I see this sort of "moderation" part of the same sort of social control that many on this board are expressing their disdain for. IMO, unfiltering posts/threads/content gives a more accurate representation of what exists in our society. If you had to pay to be a member of this site, then I would agree with you 100%. Maybe I just have a little more faith in humanity than most, and tend to have a pretty thick skin, so it's all good. Don't mean to cause any trouble. In the end, it's my fault for not thouroughly reading the rules & regulations when I registered to the forum
    I think that the Administrator made clear that GMI is not about "what exists in our society" but about cars. This site is not hosted for free and the software is not free, I would suppose that those who pay for them have every right to establish rules.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Issues such as this are best discussed in person - where you can use nonverbal cues to ensure understanding. The web leads to people blindly voicing their rhetoric with no regard to what others are saying. No learning, no understanding.

Regardless, it's headed to the Supreme Court, and whatever your beliefs - we'll have the answer. Then, the debate becomes useful in terms of what to do.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,681 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

No, it doesnt. Do you honestly go around and talk to complete strangers about a known heated issue among the population?
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information