Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge?

It was closed per rule 9, not to mention it was ultimately a political issue as well.

I'm sorry, its not going to be on GMI. This thread alone illustrates perfectly why we don't have content like that on here...people get tremendously passionate (rightfully so), defenses go up, and people get pissed off. Enemies get formed and then the same crap spews over to other unrelated threads...it just gets to be a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    And yes, the GMI moderation gods really don't have a handle on moderation. Never have. Never will... despite attempts to change it and be better about it. And they try.

And this one will be closed as well.
    Blissful irony.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 WoodieLongRoof's Avatar
    Thanks

"Passionate" discussions about "civil rights" seldom turn out "civil"...

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieLongRoof View Post
    "Passionate" discussions about "civil rights" seldom turn out "civil"...
    Excellent point. And particularly true online...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac SRX Premium

While I completely agree with cutting off the discussion, for its controversial nature, and being completely and uterlly non-related to this forum. I would like to say I am proud of the people that participated in it and in this thread as well. For such a heated topic, everyone kept level heads and acted like grown ups! Cheers to you GMI Users!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    We are an automotive forum first and foremost. GMI is not the place to discuss such topics. There are other forums where you can do so.
    If this is truely the intended focus you might as well shut down the lounge and the snake pit.

Why even create a discussion area for non automotive topics such as fashion, sports, food, travel and whatever else?
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    if this is truely the intended focus you might as well shut down the lounge and the snake pit.
    bingo!!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,638 Times in 2,619 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

With the anonymity that online discussion allows, people rarely and if ever, have civil discussions about civil issues. Its too easy for someone to not care about the other person and to just be uncivil.

Even when you have discussions in PERSON they tend to get heated but they are easier to have because they are in person. Online forums are not good areas to discuss heated topics.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    In this case there really isn't a discussion or debate. The judge already made the decision, its a done deal. The thread would have eventually become a shouting match of rational sane human beings vs homophobic bigots so its probably best it didn't continue on.
    Another bingo!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

If this is truely the intended focus you might as well shut down the lounge and the snake pit.

Why even create a discussion area for non automotive topics such as fashion, sports, food, travel and whatever else?
    Because they require little moderation. It doesn't detract from our focus to the automotive industry. Allowing you to discuss baseball, going to Hawaii, etc doesn't require a moderators time and divert their attention from the main focus of the site. Politics and controversial topics do because of how heated they get in the discussions.
    Last edited by ChevyRules; 08-05-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

We've been through this a 100 times....

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha Mond View Post
    I noticed the thread started in response to the California Prop 8 litigation has been closed. It looked pretty respectful to me what grounds were there to close this discussion? It wasn't political except in the broadest sense that everything in life can be politicized if you want to do that badly enough. The lounge is "anything and everything" not car related after all. It started in the lounge, I am almost sure of it, but it is in the "snake pit" now and locked, that seems like a prejudgment to me. In fact it is insulting bordering on offensive to me. Much of the world frames this as an emerging human rights issue. It seems prejudicial to arbitrarily halt the discussion. It certainly wasn't a political discussion in any credible sense. I thought we weren't going to have any more of this ham-handed moderation?
    IMO, its less the political side and more the gender/sexuality aspect that seems to offend the GMI people. It's not the first time a thread on the matter, however civilized, was closed or deleted altogether (see Camaro "go-go boys" thread). With respect to certain members and staff on this site, I've tossed the word homophobic around in my head.... not yet sure if its merited though. We'll see.

Thanks

As regards your above comment, GMI seems to be some of the most "homophillic" automotive-related sites, perhaps save only for explicitly gay-targeted ones. We have a large gay membership and an uncharacteristically high gay quotient among the staff. As a gay person myself, I don't think any criticism of GMI as homophobic is warranted.

Which might be why we don't need to discuss such topics here, and can freely enjoy politics-free bickering about GM and cars in general

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    We've been through this a 100 times....
    And yet the point is as valid as it was the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuffG929 View Post
    IMO, its less the political side and more the gender/sexuality aspect that seems to offend the GMI people. It's not the first time a thread on the matter, however civilized, was closed or deleted altogether (see Camaro "go-go boys" thread). With respect to certain members and staff on this site, I've tossed the word homophobic around in my head.... not yet sure if its merited though. We'll see.
    Simon bites tongue and just says . . . bingo three!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    As regards your above comment, GMI seems to be some of the most "homophillic" automotive-related sites, perhaps save only for explicitly gay-targeted ones. We have a large gay membership and an uncharacteristically high gay quotient among the staff. As a gay person myself, I don't think any criticism of GMI as homophobic is warranted.
    Fine tune your reading . . . he said "certain members and staff on this site", not th entire GMI, and he is correct.

Thanks

I don't think there is a staff member you can accuse of that. We have very different backgrounds and views here, but everything is uncharacteristically civil. If you believe any action or post of a Staff Member was against that spirit, feel free to report it and discuss it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post

Which might be why we don't need to discuss such topics here, and can freely enjoy politics-free bickering about GM and cars in general
    I know that the vast majority of contributing members on this site are very tolerant, but there are a few bad apples. And while I don't doubt your judgement, I find it a little difficult to completely dismiss the idea when I see certain threads closed or deleted simply because they are in poor taste or don't represent "family values" and others in similar vein (sans references to homosexuality) remain open. I don't care to cite specific examples at the moment but if need be I can.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information