Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge?

I noticed the thread started in response to the California Prop 8 litigation has been closed. It looked pretty respectful to me what grounds were there to close this discussion? It wasn't political except in the broadest sense that everything in life can be politicized if you want to do that badly enough. The lounge is "anything and everything" not car related after all. It started in the lounge, I am almost sure of it, but it is in the "snake pit" now and locked, that seems like a prejudgment to me. In fact it is insulting bordering on offensive to me. Much of the world frames this as an emerging human rights issue. It seems prejudicial to arbitrarily halt the discussion. It certainly wasn't a political discussion in any credible sense. I thought we weren't going to have any more of this ham-handed moderation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Is GMI *that* afraid of discussing civil rights in the lounge?

As much as it is a human rights issue, this is primarily a car discussion forum and not a place for such discussions IMO (and this includes general politics, religion or social issues). Debates particularly on this issue tend to get out of hand, and often quite rapidly. I think it's wise to avoid that and instead leave those who want to discuss these things to check out the many other forums on the interwebz that allow or are devoted to these topics.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

Look I'm not trying to reopen the topic please don't start debating here or they'll close this as well. I just want answers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha Mond View Post
    Look I'm not trying to reopen the topic please don't start debating here or they'll close this as well. I just want answers.
    The main part of it is the topic isn't about cars or even remotely related to cars or GM.
    That's why it got closed.

But I do agree that there should be some leeway and moved to the Snake Pit prior to closing.

But the mods do what they have to do.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

It was closed because it breaks rule 9 and 15. Gay marriage/rights are a highly political and controversial topic today.

9. Controversial topics, such as retardation, racism, religion, sexism, illicit drugs/narcotic, etc., will NOT be tolerated. The posting of hate or racist comments will be grounds for an automatic 10-day ban.
    15. Political topics will be limited to discussions about the automotive industry only. Any political discussions outside of the industry are not allowed and will be deleted without notice.
    We are an automotive forum first and foremost. GMI is not the place to discuss such topics. There are other forums where you can do so.

You were not here( or at least not signed up and not able to view it) when we ran a trial run of how allowing politics would go back in 2008 during the US elections. It failed horribly. It took up too much of the moderators volunteered time to clean up the uncivil discussions in the Snake Pit to deal with the rest of the forums and the discussions often spilled outside of the Snake Pit.

And I wasn't the one who closed it. It was NSAP and I am sure he will be in here in the morning to further explain why he closed it.

Also, please don't spill the discussions of the ruling into this thread. The topic is against forum rules. It is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ChevyRules; 08-05-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

In that case goodbye. I won't be beaten up any longer.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

We could have let it go, but we all know where it would have went.
    We are trying to be more proactive. We get yelled at for leaving threads for too long, and then we get yelled at for ending threads too early.

Cant have it both ways boys and girls. There are lots of places to talk about this. Hell, if you want to talk to me about it, and you have AIM, my sn is Camaro72man and Im always around.
    Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 08-05-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I was surprised that it got closed so quickly. So be it, GMI will do what it chooses.

Remember our founding documents say Ultimate Power Rests With The People. So IMO what is voted on by the people carries more legal weight than any judge, anywhere. Period.

I plum AGREE.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,219 Times in 3,486 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I think GMi appropriately would like to be focused on its core mission, Corvettes, Tahoes, Cadillac's, etc, etc, HHR.

Thanks

Chevy C2!!!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,219 Times in 3,486 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    Chevy C2!!!

they should put the wulling badge on this one..

Corvette or Tahoe next to this?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

It goes against the stated purpose of the site. Everyone has strong opinions. Almost everyone is or has gay or straight family, friends, or co-workers that they feel strongly about one way or another.

Best topic for another site.

Thanks

In that case goodbye. I won't be beaten up any longer.
    Topic has not been locked as yet. And I can't believe that someone would be that offended that a car site would not be open to this type of discussion - not even remotely connected to the auto industry or hobby. What am I missing here?

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,380 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

I noticed the thread started in response to the California Prop 8 litigation has been closed. It looked pretty respectful to me what grounds were there to close this discussion? It wasn't political except in the broadest sense that everything in life can be politicized if you want to do that badly enough. The lounge is "anything and everything" not car related after all. It started in the lounge, I am almost sure of it, but it is in the "snake pit" now and locked, that seems like a prejudgment to me. In fact it is insulting bordering on offensive to me. Much of the world frames this as an emerging human rights issue. It seems prejudicial to arbitrarily halt the discussion. It certainly wasn't a political discussion in any credible sense. I thought we weren't going to have any more of this ham-handed moderation?
    It was respectful...but threads like that have started out fine and then turned horrible afterwards. We've seen it happen time and again.

The Lounge is for anything and everything that is not based around political discussions, and the Prop 8 issue IS a political discussion. That's a direct violation of the rules here.

Nobody's being prejudicial towards any groups. Our job here is to keep discussions civil. If it means closing threads that will turn nasty, then so be it.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks

I can see both sides of the arguement here... for the most part. I also was very happy yesterday with the news Yes, this is a heated topic. But so are many topics on here. I've seen many things that are posted that should have been removed or closed that continue to go on. Moderation seems like it has always been an issue, and some moderators obviously seem to have personal agendas. I feel like when a thread is closed or locked an explanation should be posted or sent out as to why it was removed. It doesn't seem like moderation is getting any better as of late.
    The real question is, when you turn your car on.. Does it return the favor? Hidden Content

Current:
    06 Chevy Impala (Inherited) Hidden Content
    06 Honda Civic (daily)
    10 Lexus ES350

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information