Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention - Password and Security Update

Administrator Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Attention - Password and Security Update

Many people use the same password for multiple sites. This could create a potential hole for a hacker to get your info which is what we would like to avoid. The forced password change for now is to insure there are no holes on the forum and the one that should happen a year from now can be revisited then and we can look into if it is still needed on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Another GM car forum sent me an e-mail telling me they reset my password and gave me a new complicated one. I tried it and it keeps telling me my password is incorrect. I guess I am not on that one anymore. WTF

(just possibly getting my last post in here......so long)
    Please make sure to properly delete the password that is auto-filled.

Copy/Paste the password (as plain text) and make sure there are no space on the sides when transferring it from the email to the site.

If the issue still persists, you can use the Contact Us, or PM a mod/admin directly on the site and it will be resolved.

Thanks,
    - JB

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

So you'd rather have an ultra-secure site with few contributors - than a normal forum with no sensitive user information stored so no issue with shared passwords but many contributors - it's your site though.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

CJH (06-17-2016),isszy (06-22-2016),sfbreh (06-21-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

People aren't going to leave the site because their password is too complicated. For goodness sake, just use www.lastpass.com

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    People aren't going to leave the site because their password is too complicated. For goodness sake, just use www.lastpass.com
    I disagree, lots of people don't log in and just read posts....this isn't a retail or financial site .....no need for this kinda password security.....

By the way nice recommendation on lastpass........they been hacked.....

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/hack-b...breached-hard/
    Last edited by optiongm; 06-17-2016 at 02:54 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to optiongm For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-21-2016),Ruperts Trooper (06-17-2016),sfbreh (06-21-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

I disagree - my personal security is best served with the minimum of downloaded software on my PC.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-21-2016),sfbreh (06-21-2016)

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Many people use the same password for multiple sites. This could create a potential hole for a hacker to get your info which is what we would like to avoid. The forced password change for now is to insure there are no holes on the forum and the one that should happen a year from now can be revisited then and we can look into if it is still needed on the site.

Thanks,
    - JB
    You don't seem to understand or want to understand that such a thing happening is OUR problem - not YOURS. Any person on this site concerned about such a thing can right now do what you recommend without being forced to do so. So why are you forcing people?

Do you think they are ignorant? Stupid? Then educate them and allow them a free choice.

Just create a pop-up recommendation as people log-in that they should do what you recommend, then let them choose and live a life of freedom from anal retentive people like you are trying to be who really seem to have a deep NEED to tell people how they should live their lives. You must be a leftist liberal because you obviously want to impose your NANNY STATE on all of us - whether we want it or not.

How about trying freedom of choice instead?

Give me liberty from the empire building Administrators of this world or give me death....

...and yes I will not use a forced password, ever. There is no need for it.

And everyone who complies should never again be allowed to ask what went wrong to let the a-holes take over the world.... for the answer will be - you did.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MonaroSS For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-21-2016),sfbreh (06-21-2016),The Handler (06-21-2016),TruckMan (06-18-2016)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post
    You don't seem to understand or want to understand that such a thing happening is OUR problem - not YOURS. Any person on this site concerned about such a thing can right now do what you recommend without being forced to do so. So why are you forcing people?

Do you think they are ignorant? Stupid? Then educate them and allow them a free choice.

Just create a pop-up recommendation as people log-in that they should do what you recommend, then let them choose and live a life of freedom from anal retentive people like you are trying to be who really seem to have a deep NEED to tell people how they should live their lives. You must be a leftist liberal because you obviously want to impose your NANNY STATE on all of us - whether we want it or not.

How about trying freedom of choice instead?

Give me liberty from the empire building Administrators of this world or give me death....

...and yes I will not use a forced password, ever. There is no need for it.

And everyone who complies should never again be allowed to ask what went wrong to let the a-holes take over the world.... for the answer will be - you did.

Well said......
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Pablo Picasso

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    Well said......
    Thanks.

Most freedoms are lost a little at a time because we fail to draw a line in the sand. Like the frog in the pot slowly coming to the boil we fail to act until we've squandered our chance.

The problem here is the site Administration does not value Members as customers of the site. They view the advertisers as the site's customers. We are just eyeballs and mouse clicks to appease and manipulate; like so many lemmings they need to heard through so many click bait traps per day....

Imagine how much more money they would make if GMI was like back in it's heyday and had tenfold more active members? Back when there was a sense of community? Because it was a community.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MonaroSS For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-21-2016),Ruperts Trooper (06-18-2016),sfbreh (06-21-2016),t-rex (06-19-2016),The Handler (06-21-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

How do you guys feel about allowing your browser to remember your password? Chome, Firefox and I'm sure others do...

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

How do you guys feel about allowing your browser to remember your password? Chome, Firefox and I'm sure others do...
    I always say no when asked by any browser or software if I want the password remembered.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Until you use a different device, implement a major browser update or just clear the cache/cookie memory (or wherever they're stored)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

My GMi password forum? I allow it. I tell random people in the street. My doctor. The cashier at the grocery store. Because it's just a forum password, and no one cares.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    My GMi password forum? I allow it. I tell random people in the street. My doctor. The cashier at the grocery store. Because it's just a forum password, and no one cares.
    I suspect you may be one of those deviants who would engage in password swapping just to see if other members can tell if two or more members are not themselves for a while....

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonaroSS For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (06-19-2016),paul8488 (06-19-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 910 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    Soooooo.....you're saying 12345 is not a good password for every site on the internet?

What's next to go? 54321?

Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

23. The Following User Says Thank You to posaune For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (06-19-2016)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Keep in mind that a lot of our members may be using the same passwords and email for ever account they have. For now, we want be able to communicate to all the users. If the password requirements are too long or complicated, we'll revisit this in the future and make some changes.

Lee
    As an Admin on another AG forum, I'm telling you it needs to be revisited now. My brokerage and bank accounts don't even require passwords that strong. This is a car forum, not Ft. Knox, for Christ's sake.

Change it to:

7 characters
    1 capital
    1 number

That is more than sufficient.
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donmateo For This Useful Post:

isszy (06-22-2016),Ruperts Trooper (06-19-2016)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information