Report: UAW to Avoid National Strike if Negotiations Fail

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Report: UAW to Avoid National Strike if Negotiations Fail

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Report: UAW to Avoid National Strike if Negotiations Fail

The United Auto Workers union is preparing itself for a big year and that means strategizing. According to a new report from Automotive News, the leading strategy isn’t a national strike. That’s because the UAW is different now than it once was. With fewer members and more than just auto workers to represent. But with […]
    The post Report: UAW to Avoid National Strike if Negotiations Fail appeared first on GM Inside News.

More...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,216 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Re: Report: UAW to Avoid National Strike if Negotiations Fail

How many jobs is the UAW hoping to lose?
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

I was against the 2007 strike. This time is different. GM is flush with profits while closing US factories and importing more vehicles. If they cant reach an agreement who am I to disagree if the UAW decided to strike. Tonowanda would be enough to shut down most of the US.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,203 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
    I was against the 2007 strike. This time is different. GM is flush with profits while closing US factories and importing more vehicles. If they cant reach an agreement who am I to disagree if the UAW decided to strike. Tonawanda would be enough to shut down most of the US.
    I get your "sentiment" but wonder IF that strike is PART of the mexico move and the KILLING of US plants

IE strike shutdown Tonawanda engine and GM loses MONEY why would they "invest" in a high RISK operation

maybe the UAW has "read the tea leaves" and is saying we will negotiate WITHOUT the threat of WAR in a HOPE of easing GM/wall ST concerns over VERY COSTLY labour disruptions

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

TruckMan (04-25-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I get your "sentiment" but wonder IF that strike is PART of the mexico move and the KILLING of US plants

IE strike shutdown Tonawanda engine and GM loses MONEY why would they "invest" in a high RISK operation

maybe the UAW has "read the tea leaves" and is saying we will negotiate WITHOUT the threat of WAR in a HOPE of easing GM/wall ST concerns over VERY COSTLY labour disruptions
    GM has been shuttering US plants and shifting production to Mexico for a while...it's only as of late has it become an issue. What is GM supposed to do here? Are they supposed to produce in the US, assume the bigger hit on the bottom line w/ the higher labor costs and increase the likelihood of another financial crisis or should they shift production, saving themselves money on the bottom line, but ultimately causing a few thousand lost jobs in the US?

Are the "import" plants in the Southern States bound to union labor? If not, maybe they should consider playing hardball with the UAW and threaten to shift production outside UAW plants.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    GM has been shuttering US plants and shifting production to Mexico for a while...it's only as of late has it become an issue. What is GM supposed to do here? Are they supposed to produce in the US, assume the bigger hit on the bottom line w/ the higher labor costs and increase the likelihood of another financial crisis or should they shift production, saving themselves money on the bottom line, but ultimately causing a few thousand lost jobs in the US?

Are the "import" plants in the Southern States bound to union labor? If not, maybe they should consider playing hardball with the UAW and threaten to shift production outside UAW plants.
    I would have no problem if GM played hardball with the UAW and kicked the unions out of the US plants.

I want American jobs, American cars, American profits. GM got bailed out by the US, got a tax cut from a president that was voted into office over jobs, and yet GM kills jobs.

If GM cant make a profit making cars in the US with UAW labor, then either kick the union to the curb or take the easy way out, cut and run to Mexico and lose sales from me and hundreds of thousands of other consumers that feel the same way.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

10. The Following User Says Thank You to unkillsam For This Useful Post:

TruckMan (04-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,147 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    The best answer would be "all of them".
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

TruckMan (04-29-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,980 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    The best answer would be "all of them".
    I don't know, but to me it looks like GM is hell bent on a damned if they do and damned if they don't game of something like Russian Roulette at times.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 859 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post

Better read the tea leaves, and clean their house after some skeletons had gotten out of the UAW closet.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ca/3334161002/
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ot/1811055002/

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements