More Power? Buick Encore Buyers Donít Want It

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Power? Buick Encore Buyers Donít Want It

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

More Power? Buick Encore Buyers Donít Want It

Buickís smallest model might not be what most TTAC readers want to see in their driveway, but itís nonetheless popular with the American buying public. The subcompact Encore is by far the brandís best-selling vehicle, making up nearly half of Buickís sales volume. Weíll probably see a next-generation model debut later this year or early […]
    The post More Power? Buick Encore Buyers Donít Want It appeared first on GM Inside News.

More...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,636 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: More Power? Buick Encore Buyers Donít Want It

Only $250 and people didn't opt for the additional power? Times really are changing... And makes me think of the XT6 where only the one engine is offered....

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Only $250 and people didn't opt for the additional power? Times really are changing... And makes me think of the XT6 where only the one engine is offered....
    U gotta remember the people who are buying these vehicles. Again.. Women. Very often the power in the regular vehicle is not only adequate, but on point for their needs. Every car does not have to be a race car.
    Last edited by CMiatso DaBang; 05-25-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears. Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

megeebee (05-25-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,725 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    U gotta remember the people who are buying these vehicles. Again.. Women. Very often the power in the regular vehicle is not only adequate, but on point for their needs. Every car does not have to be a race car.
    I suspect you are right. Budget and fuel economy probably play in there too even though the differences aren't that significant.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Only one engine/tranny on Ranger. Only one on 2020 Sonic (they dropped the manual). Sounds like a depressing trend.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

I was looking at specs for previous years, and there was something that made it undesirable for me--probably bigger wheels or leather seats in the upper trims, or premium fuel. I wish they'd go back to the old days when you could usually get the better engine as a stand alone option (as were most options). I just don't want a stiffer ride or uncooled leather under my hot butt.

Wonder what percentage of sales are the higher trims. 12% sounds significant to me, since they make more money (or lose less) on those versions. GM may be restricting options like this because their stupid dealers are just ordering what has sold before, not what they could sell if they had them available for test driving. That's already ruined color choices IMO.

I'm curious also about how many cars are special ordered these days. I thought that was normal for years because my father usually did and I did twice in the 80's.
    Last edited by ral1960; 05-25-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

They killed the wrong 1.4.

The LUV 1.4 standard motor is the same hot garbage from the 2011-2016 Cruze. Anyone that buys one better start an "engine regular maintenance" fund for a turbo, valve cover, water pump, thermostat, water outlet and hose, coil pack and more, and plan for at least one or more failure of most of those parts.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    I was looking at specs for previous years, and there was something that made it undesirable for me--probably bigger wheels or leather seats in the upper trims, or premium fuel. I wish they'd go back to the old days when you could usually get the better engine as a stand alone option (as were most options). I just don't want a stiffer ride or uncooled leather under my hot butt.

Wonder what percentage of sales are the higher trims. 12% sounds significant to me, since they make more money (or lose less) on those versions. GM may be restricting options like this because their stupid dealers are just ordering what has sold before, not what they could sell if they had them available for test driving. That's already ruined color choices IMO.

I'm curious also about how many cars are special ordered these days. I thought that was normal for years because my father usually did and I did twice in the 80's.
    I think special order is rare these days. Price... You will likely pay MSRP for a special. Worse, incentives are set at delivery time. So if there was 5K incentive when you ordered and none when delivered, you get none. The Japanese started the package trend. It again helps with price and logistics. I've only special ordered once, my job in LA was with a large defense contractor that got employee pricing on all purchases. This was in the 80's. Not sure if large companies can still get deals like that for employees. It was cool to check the exact boxes I wanted. I recall deleting the radio on a very loaded Monte Carlo CL as I knew I was going after market. Kept it for 10 years.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Buick Verano Turbo

I agree with CM and 1958 but I also wonder how many buyers knew about an optional engine? I get the impression Buick didn't go out of its way to advertise the other 1.4L's existence. Most customers aren't enthusiasts yet I'd imagine some of the husbands/fiancťs/boyfriends of these buyers would have received a little more enjoyment driving their other half's roller skate if it had the uprated engine under the hood.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tethys For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-25-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    I think special order is rare these days. Price... You will likely pay MSRP for a special. Worse, incentives are set at delivery time. So if there was 5K incentive when you ordered and none when delivered, you get none.
    I used a buying service that reduced the price without haggling to a few hundred over invoice (allegedly), but that was 30 years ago. The salesman for both Pontiacs also pointed me to a backstreet Salvadorian restaurant in Arlington, VA, that my coworkers and I frequented for years. In the 90's in NC, they drove up an Intrigue like I wanted from another dealer in SC.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,937 Times in 2,270 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I bet that dealers never ordered it either.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

A lot of Encore owners were unhappy with the stop-start technology on the more powerful engine according to comments on the Encore forum. One person said it ruined the car for him and he was really sorry he upgraded it.
    Barry
    '04 Nocturne Blue Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1997 Catera (11/96 - 6/13)
    '13 Black Diamond / Black Regal T

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dovetonsils For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-25-2019),dannyg (05-26-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Thanks for reminding me, it was the start-stop that was a no-go for me.
    Last edited by ral1960; 05-25-2019 at 08:23 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ral1960 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-25-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

12% sounds low. The take rate for the identical car in Europe for both top trim-levels Innovation and Ultimate is way higher, around 59% for the Innovation alone. Only 3% choose the base trim-level.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

12% sounds low. The take rate for the identical car in Europe for both top trim-levels Innovation and Ultimate is way higher, around 59% for the Innovation alone. Only 3% choose the base trim-level.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information