California Moves to Ban Sale of New Gas Cars by 2035

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California Moves to Ban Sale of New Gas Cars by 2035

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

California Moves to Ban Sale of New Gas Cars by 2035

California Governor Gavin Newsom has signed an executive order that will ban the sale of new cars that are gasoline-powered, beginning in the year 2035. “This is the most impactful step our state can take to fight climate change,” Newsom said in a statement. “For too many decades, we have allowed cars to pollute the air that our […]
    The post California Moves to Ban Sale of New Gas Cars by 2035 appeared first on GM Inside News.

More...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

Re: California Moves to Ban Sale of New Gas Cars by 2035

Yes turn the t-stat up to 80, shut the lights off, unplug the toaster oven, let make all cars which California has the most out of any state on the road today by the way, plug into a grid that has a difficult time just keeping the lights on.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bigdog For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),BlackGTP (09-24-2020),bongos2u (09-24-2020),Extreme4x4 (09-24-2020),Mr.Buttons (09-24-2020),rand49er (09-25-2020),tripowergto Jan2003 (09-24-2020),TruckMan (09-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 1,556 Posts

I don't have a problem with it...15 years from now seems reasonable
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

emh (09-25-2020),mgescuro (09-24-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,254 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
    Eventually they will ban "gas" stations from selling gas, ban petrol cars from entering their state, ban..ban..ban..

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),Extreme4x4 (09-24-2020),rand49er (09-25-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Same here.. I love my LS powered vehicles, the sounds of a gas powered car, its music to my ears, but we need to accept change is happening and we either need to be a part of the change or get left behind. Just look at the small towns that relied on coal jobs, where are they now? That's the future of the U.S. if we don't embrace change. Add in climate change, regardless of what climate science deniers believe, it is real. I have grandchildren and I hope we are not too late to reverse the damage we are doing to this planet. Future generations deserve to have a safe, clean environment, and that needs to start with us.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 61BelAir For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (09-24-2020),emh (09-25-2020),richmond2000 (09-24-2020),sdotjeezy (09-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 2,134 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    15 years is very reasonable, considering all car companies will have a fleet of EV and PHEV by 2025 anyways. Then there's 10 years to get more of those cars on the market prior to the legislation coming in.
    Plus, there are 15 other countries with similar legislation. So, CA is not alone in this.

The difference is CA has the clout to shift the US auto industry in that direction.
    China has already enacted a ban on new gas cars, with 1/5th of new cars expected to be EV/PHEV by 2025. China has more automotive industry clout these days. And car companies are going to comply.

But what's key for people to know because most people haven't read the news articles, nor has the media properly covered it — Used gas-only cars are still going to be sold. You can still drive your gas-only car. No one is gonna tell you to get rid of your gas-only car. Only NEW CARS will be affected by the legislation.
    Last edited by mgescuro; 09-24-2020 at 12:22 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),BlackGTP (09-24-2020),sdotjeezy (09-24-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (09-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,297 Times in 4,987 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    Yes turn the t-stat up to 80, shut the lights off, unplug the toaster oven, let make all cars which California has the most out of any state on the road today by the way, plug into a grid that has a difficult time just keeping the lights on.
    While I'm on board with switching to BEV, I think California needs to address their electric grid issues before they issue mandates like this. They issue these mandates, the entire automotive industry spends a fortune gearing up to meet the deadline, then 2035 hits and the California government realizes the grid can't handle the change and pushes off the deadline. Then they wonder why the automotive industry lobbies against laws like this.

15 years seems like a long time and I'm certain the car manufacturers can meet the deadline, I question California being able to meet the deadline with new energy resources (power plants - be they gas, nuclear, wind or solar) to fortify the grid to handle the new demands of BEV's.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),rand49er (09-25-2020),richmond2000 (09-24-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    15 years is very reasonable, considering all car companies will have a fleet of EV and PHEV by 2025 anyways. Then there's 10 years to get more of those cars on the market prior to the legislation coming in.
    Plus, there are 15 other countries with similar legislation. So, CA is not alone in this.

The difference is CA has the clout to shift the US auto industry in that direction.
    China has already enacted a ban on new gas cars, with 1/5th of new cars expected to be EV/PHEV by 2025. China has more automotive industry clout these days. And car companies are going to comply.

But what's key for people to know because most people haven't read the news articles, nor has the media properly covered it — Used gas-only cars are still going to be sold. You can still drive your gas-only car. No one is gonna tell you to get rid of your gas-only car. Only NEW CARS will be affected by the legislation.
    China. The country thats building dozens and dozens of new coal fired power plants to power its electrical grid.

Cars are much cleaner then coal fired power plants, and China controls much of the rare earth elements needed for batteries, so theere is a huge financial, not environmental, reason for them to push electric cars.

I view this as another scam.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to unkillsam For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (09-24-2020),[email protected] (09-25-2020),TruckMan (09-25-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by 61BelAir View Post
    Same here.. I love my LS powered vehicles, the sounds of a gas powered car, its music to my ears, but we need to accept change is happening and we either need to be a part of the change or get left behind. Just look at the small towns that relied on coal jobs, where are they now? That's the future of the U.S. if we don't embrace change. Add in climate change, regardless of what climate science deniers believe, it is real. I have grandchildren and I hope we are not too late to reverse the damage we are doing to this planet. Future generations deserve to have a safe, clean environment, and that needs to start with us.
    Ehhhh.....we were told in 2018 the �� only had 12 years to stop climate change (aka global warming)

By my math we now only have 10 but banning the sale of new gas powered cars in 1 of 49 states 15 years from now is going to do something?

Climate change is real. If you want to pretend that 80% or 90% of it is man-made, then thats your right but its not following the science.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unkillsam For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),Extreme4x4 (09-24-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,666 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    Eventually they will ban "gas" stations from selling gas, ban petrol cars from entering their state, ban..ban..ban..
    And then wonder why their population is leaving in droves and they continue to have mounting problems and the like. I feel it is going to be a rough road ahead in fits and spurts 'til we finally get to that all electric society "dream".
    Last edited by 1958carnut; 09-24-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: fell/feel oops.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (09-24-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    While I'm on board with switching to BEV, I think California needs to address their electric grid issues before they issue mandates like this. They issue these mandates, the entire automotive industry spends a fortune gearing up to meet the deadline, then 2035 hits and the California government realizes the grid can't handle the change and pushes off the deadline. Then they wonder why the automotive industry lobbies against laws like this.

15 years seems like a long time and I'm certain the car manufacturers can meet the deadline, I question California being able to meet the deadline with new energy resources (power plants - be they gas, nuclear, wind or solar) to fortify the grid to handle the new demands of BEV's.
    Tend to agree with the grid issue. As an example, lets say we get fairly widespread adoption of the new 19KW fast chargers in affluent neighborhoods. I suspect mine would qualify. It is around 20 years old, so not super old. Houses have 200A boxes typically, providing up to 48KW, so the house is not the problem. The problem is the transformers. They are 50KVA for 6 houses generally. Sometimes it is a 75 for 8-10 houses. Lets use the 50's. So if 3 houses on one transformer fire up their 19KW fast charger at the same time, pfff. Blew a transformer. If 2 houses fire up a fast charger around 6PM in the summer when everyone already has around 5KW load from AC's, pfff there goes a transfomer. I didn't even count anyone turning on an oven. Already in TX the entire grid can get dicey in winter on very cold days (lots of electric heat here) or on very hot days. CA has similar problems in summer, importing juice from Oregon/Washington already.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),BlackGTP (09-24-2020),CJH (09-24-2020),Extreme4x4 (09-24-2020),[email protected] (09-25-2020),richmond2000 (09-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,297 Times in 4,987 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Tend to agree with the grid issue. As an example, lets say we get fairly widespread adoption of the new 19KW fast chargers in affluent neighborhoods. I suspect mine would qualify. It is around 20 years old, so not super old. Houses have 200A boxes typically, providing up to 48KW, so the house is not the problem. The problem is the transformers. They are 50KVA for 6 houses generally. Sometimes it is a 75 for 8-10 houses. Lets use the 50's. So if 3 houses on one transformer fire up their 19KW fast charger at the same time, pfff. Blew a transformer. If 2 houses fire up a fast charger around 6PM in the summer when everyone already has around 5KW load from AC's, pfff there goes a transfomer. I didn't even count anyone turning on an oven. Already in TX the entire grid can get dicey in winter on very cold days (lots of electric heat here) or on very hot days. CA has similar problems in summer, importing juice from Oregon/Washington already.
    Yes, I didn't even think or know about infrastructure issues like that.

From my recollection, California has been enduring rolling blackouts for years, with as far as I can tell, nothing done to fix it. I will say that I don't follow the California electric grid closely, maybe they have done something. I recall that recently the governor had said they need to look at gas fired plants as renewables can't get the states electric grid where it needs to be. I don't know that 15 years is enough time for California to find an ecologically sound location, that isn't upsetting someone, to even build a plant.

I think other states could do it, but I feel like California has tied it's own hands behind their back. Hence my original point - they shouldn't set a date in stone to require new cars to be BEV until they have a clear line of sight to supply electric reliably.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),CJH (09-24-2020),Extreme4x4 (09-24-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,666 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Yes, I didn't even think or know about infrastructure issues like that.

From my recollection, California has been enduring rolling blackouts for years, with as far as I can tell, nothing done to fix it. I will say that I don't follow the California electric grid closely, maybe they have done something. I recall that recently the governor had said they need to look at gas fired plants as renewables can't get the states electric grid where it needs to be. I don't know that 15 years is enough time for California to find an ecologically sound location, that isn't upsetting someone, to even build a plant.
    Good info that supports my feelings or mindset. We are rushing headlong into something here that we just ain't ready or prepared for with these 'lectrics and overzealous politicos who mandate them.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

CJH (09-24-2020),Extreme4x4 (09-24-2020),[email protected] (09-25-2020)

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,052 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Its silly. A)Doubtful this guy will still be in the big chair when this would go into effect. B)The grid won't be ready for it. C) Outright bans are the wrong way to do things.

Its a political misdirection from the current state of affairs.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-24-2020),[email protected] (09-25-2020),Mr.Buttons (09-24-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,605 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post

I remember the same reaction when the UK made a similar legislation change

This will not affect you if you want to continue to drive your classic or whatever

It's a generational change akin to a leaded fuel to unleaded fuel changeover or the introduction of pollution controls

The world didnt end then and it wont end in 2035
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

mgescuro (09-24-2020),richmond2000 (09-24-2020),Ruperts Trooper (09-24-2020),sdotjeezy (09-24-2020)

32. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information