GM Inside News Forum banner

Wagoner not worried about being #1

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Hudson 
#1 ·
Wagoner: Being No. 1 no longer GM’s top goal
From Leftlane News

General Motors boss Rick Wagoner said being the world’s largest automaker is not the company’s top priority anymore, according to the Wall Street Journal. “Would we like to stay number one? Sure. Is it the top priority of the company? No,” he said at a press conference in St. Petersburg, Russia, where the automaker is building a new plant. “We’re really focused on very strong profitability growth and balance-sheet strength in addition to driving the revenue side.” Recently, there has been a great deal of speculation that Toyota will soon surpass GM in terms of overall worldwide sales volume. However, Wagoner hasn’t conceded to losing the sales battle entirely. “If we can keep growing where the opportunities are to grow […] someone’s going to have to hustle pretty hard to catch up with us like that,” he said.

#3 ·
Of course it's not a priority. It's nearly a foregone conclusion that GM will fall from its perch in the next couple of years. Why would he state that it's a "priority" when he knows it's going to be next-to-impossible to maintain?

I think profitability should be a bigger focus than market share. Oh, and maybe that drive for profitability (and an eventual return to market share) could be driven by products? Just a thought.

#7 ·
Hudson said:
Of course it's not a priority. It's nearly a foregone conclusion that GM will fall from its perch in the next couple of years. Why would he state that it's a "priority" when he knows it's going to be next-to-impossible to maintain?
Why would you say so? Toyota would have to post some enormous gains while GM - enormous losses (I mean - in the number of vehicles sold). I'd say GM is at the rock bottom now, I wouldn't expect them to sell any less, especially given their strong position in developing markets. I think we will be seeing GM as No. 1 for a long time.

Though I agree this shouldn't be a goal in itself, it's obvious.

#10 ·
Bravada said:
Why would you say so? Toyota would have to post some enormous gains while GM - enormous losses (I mean - in the number of vehicles sold). I'd say GM is at the rock bottom now, I wouldn't expect them to sell any less, especially given their strong position in developing markets. I think we will be seeing GM as No. 1 for a long time.

Though I agree this shouldn't be a goal in itself, it's obvious.
I don't believe GM is at "rock bottom." GM is in no position to grow in the next few years. Toyota, on the other hand, has plenty of room to grow and their recent growth has been with "enormous gains." Look at Toyota's gains globally over the past decade and look at GM's position globally in the same time frame.

Toyota still has plenty of room for growth in Europe, China, and South America. In these three regions, GM has almost peaked (except for possibly China). Toyota also has global plans for Lexus which will provide for additional growth and a good basis for the lesser brand to build upon.

Unless something dramatic happens, Toyota will take over the top spot by 2010. And that's not entirely a bad thing for GM.

#13 ·
Hudson said:

I think profitability should be a bigger focus than market share. Oh, and maybe that drive for profitability (and an eventual return to market share) could be driven by products? Just a thought.
Yes! Wagoner is softening the blow now....

focus on building GREAT cars, price 'em right, make money on them, treat your customers well and market share will take care of itself.
Exactly! 30 years too late....but this is what needs to be achieved!

Exactly, when your #2 you try harder, like Hertz. ;)
That was Avis by the way....

#14 ·
far rather be no 2 and still in business than no 1 and go bankrupt.

Toyota are on the verge of taking the number 1 spot as the worlds largets manufacturer, not sure whether that is numbers built or sales or profit, but having just been on a GM based conference, its a foregone conclusion.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.