Quadrasteer Cons???? - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quadrasteer Cons????

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    SLT Z71 Double cab 6.2/ blk

Re: Quadrasteer Cons????

Quote Originally Posted by 68w46 View Post
    Can anybody tell me the common problems with Quadrasteer trucks? What were the service issues? I'd like to purchase a used one but I'm not sure what bad things to look for. Why Did GM stop the offering of Quadrasteer?
    I'd prefer a non Denali. I don't want or need all wheel drive or all those creature comforts. And the 5.3 would do just fine for me.
    AJ
    I bought mine brand new 11 years and 150k miles ago. Bet invention ever for a truck. No real issues. He fluid change is expensive but unit has been bullet proof. Gm did a crap job of marketing. Had they let anyone know how they turned in tight spaces every soccer mom in the country would of been tooling around the suburbs in their suburban! I haven't even thought of a new truck until this year due to this option. Unfortunately my suicide doors leakso much air on the highway I can't hear the radio so i buying a new truck but I will still keep this one for in town.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Suburban 2003 2500 Quadrasteer

Purchased my 2003 Suburban Quadrasteer new and was lucky enough to do it when the option cost the most. Soccer Mom/Family travel vehicle. ~120K miles.
    Would buy a new one if I could, since everything every one says is true about how great Quadrasteer is. That is when it is working.
    Unfortunately we were not among the many posting here that seem to have gotten a bullet proof setup.
    Over the last 11 years we have had it in the shop twice before at about $1K each for various module change-outs and harness "adjustments" that always seemed to keep it running for about a year. Then over the next several years it would degrade until we either brought it back in to the dealer, or as I stand now, I am learning the systems myself with the intention of self repair forever. Degrade is to kick out of 4WS back to 2WS and state "Service Quadrasteer"
    We REALLY do not want to live without this truck with it's Quadrasteer functional.

The challenges as I see them to owning a Quadrasteer are as I seem them are as follows:
    1) Replacement Module Availability
    2) Expertise/Equipped to repair

These are now what I believe to be the three most likely modules to fail.
    For my 2003 Suburban:
    26091590 Sensor Kit, Rear Wheel Steering position. Available
    26108739 Motor Kit, Rear Wheel Steering Actuator. Available
    15087554 Module, Rear Wheel Steering Controller. Discontinued?, Unavailable? Some seem willing to take money ($1200-1300), but doubt they have stock.

As far as Expertise, the basic problem is that there were so few sold and they are all spread out, that no dealer ever gets to work on more than one or two if any. As far as equipment to diagnose, the diagnostic codes for Quadrasteer and controls are not part of the OBD2 specification and are proprietary to GM. You can only get this DTC information, perform a relearn after a module replacement, or download any updated software using the GM TECH2 diagnostic tool. This leaves you at the mercy of the dealer that has not experience with the system.
    I have decided to solve the Expertise issue by learning this system myself. Given other issues I have fixed on this complex vehicle related to bad wiring and connectors, I am highly suspicious that some previous module replacements were not needed. I have been able with many hours of searching to locate all the schematics, diagnostic info and part numbers via google.
    So far the dealer that sold me the car was cooperative when I brought the vehicle in for a quick TECH2 scan. They said $99, but I came prepared and got screen shots of all the data screens on the TECH2 in about 15 minutes that I needed, so they did not charge me. Note that you can get a TECH2 for about $3-5K, but if you want to update software, you also need to buy a license for online access for a fixed time or annually. There are Chinese knockoffs available for around $450 with shipping, that may or may not be at least able to read the Quadrasteer data streams, if they work at all. never heard of anyone trying one of these cheap ones with Quadrasteer. If you have and are reading this, please chime in. I would take the risk and buy one if I knew it should work. The data available via the TECH2 in regards to the Quadrasteer system is quite extensive and far more than just DTCs. Actual voltage readings from all the sensors involved, and for the battery feeds to the controller module. Steering angles etc.
    In my case, the Quadrasteer is working fine and we captured readings for straight ahead and steering wheel 180 right and left. Then "Service Quadrasteer" message appears and it shuts down to 2 wheel steering. The TECH2 is still communicating with the controller module, and to our surprise, the Main High Current Battery feed which had been at 13V was now reporting only 2.5V, while the Switched Ignition Battery input was still reporting ~13V. So, this is either in the Wiring from the battery, or inside the Main controller module where the voltage sensing circuit resides. That would be the discontinued module.
    I am still in mid diagnosis as I write this. The main power wiring is as follows. Directly off Battery + Terminal red wire to a stand alone 125A Mega fuse hidden under the plastic cowl of the engine compartment fuse block. Then from this Mega Fuse over red wire all the way back to the Quadrasteer Control Module. There is a main black ground wire that also runs from the Alternator bracket in the engine compartment all way back to the Quadrasteer module. I read that sometimes the Mega fuse is loose. Mine seems OK, I was unable to detect any voltage drops in the engine compartment on these lines. Next stop is back to the controller module itself.
    My fear is that this will be internal to the Controller Module. If your reading this and you have a Quadrasteer controller module GM 15087554 to sell, please let me know. Otherwise I may have no choice but to crack mine open and reverse engineer it.
    Any chance anyone has Schematics for the internal circuits on the Quadrasteer Controller? Ex. Delphi employees?

Sorry for the ramble.
    Would I buy a used Quadrasteer vehicle?
    Maybe not today, but if the guy selling it could look me in the face and say he has never had a lick of trouble with it, then I might just have to trust him, as I cannot live without one any more.
    If controller modules truly cannot be replaced, I would have to think twice about getting hooked on this particular drug.
    Last edited by dl95; 08-14-2013 at 09:40 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dl95 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (08-21-2015)

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 04 chevy quadrasteer View Post
    Purchased mine in 04 with 7k miles. It was a gm exec. Vehicle. Never titled until me. Bought the extended warranty in case . It replaced a water pump, cracked flywheel, Bose amp, ac compressor. I replaced a leaking front shock at 80k miles along with same side wheel bearing. I had the same clunking sound in the reared when reversing. Replaced reared fluid and got rid of it. Just had a 4x4 sensor replaced and dash switch for 700.00 ouch. The chevy dealer always calls me days after my service to try and buy my truck. I tell them to sell me a new quadrasteer.sorry! Everyone that see's it coments on it. I put 20" rims and bigger tires on it and painted all the black trim silver birch exterior color. Clear cab lights. Clear marker bedside lights. Billet door handles.billet grill. And........still haven't had a single issue with the rear steering! I love it! Contact me if you want. 602-920-0086 jeff

Where did you get the clear cab and marker lights? Any pics please? Thanks!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelzuzem View Post
    I have the Sierra Denali 2004 with quadrasteer. I've looked at new trucks now for two years and have to say I can't give up the convenience of the quadrasteer. In 12 years they have never made a better option that can make me switch trucks. Most people that ask me whats wrong with my back tires know nothing about quadrasteer. It's always a fun time when I tell them the back tires are suppose to turn. Most people say what the hell for. This tells me how bad GMC marketed this option. If it was still available it would have taken off with a bang. People cant believe it turns as sharp as a Honda civic. Unfortunately after ten years of problem free convenience I have to bring it in for a service as it is not engaging. I hope it is not a module or we will both be looking. I will pay anything to get it back. My wife and I can't stand the truck any more after only a week without the quadrasteering. You don't realize how convenient it is until your without it. If I lose it I may buy a Dodge, their the only ones coming out with some innovative stuff, maybe we can count on them to give us a new truck with quadrasteer. I've given up all hope of GMC ever doing anything. The fact that GMC don't take care of their customers after only ten years really puts a halt to me ever buying a product from them again. I'll see what happens Wednesday when she goes in. If they cant fix mine and they don't sell a new quadrasteer i'm gone. 30 year Chev/GMC fan will be out of there....very sad. I'm sure we will fix it though just take some searching and get er done. Be good for another ten years. Its saved me more money over the years anyway as I would have bought 2 new trucks from them by now if the quadrasteer was still an option.
    Had the 4 wheel steering fixed, any dealer can fix it even without the parts available so long as machine shops exist. Anything can be repaired for a price. Cost me $1500 because of salt corrosion to the housing that needed to be replaced due to the bolts that snapped in order to replace the sensor. Been problem free for the first 9 years and problem free ever since the fix. I have paid more to have my air conditioning fixed on other vehicles I have had so $1500 is a bargain. I was prepared to spend up to $4000.00 to get it back but like I said $1500 was a deal. After trying out the new trucks I don't have much to say, I will keep this one until the frame falls off then I will somehow weld the axle to a new truck, maybe a ford or dodge and hook the wiring up. Chevy/GMC are not too sharp as they don't seem to listen to the customers wants,..... thanks for stability control but I don't need it when I have 4 wheels that turn to get me out of a skid. Stability control applies brakes to the front tires to pull the vehicle out of a skid which causes the front wheels to lose traction. With 4 wheel steer you don't need to apply brakes that cause your front wheels to stop free rolling QS straightens and corrects the skid without applying brakes and feels 100% more natural. Stability control surprises the driver with a surprise braking that feels just wrong, like you just slipped into a mud hole,...... thanks for the crappy options for the past 10 years they have been more than disappointing. And how have you helped the consumer to maneuver these vehicles, oh yes with cameras that come on when you put it in reverse but by the time the screen comes on I have already put it in drive and completed backing up and if you happen to use the camera it is usually blocked by salt or mud so its still a big vehicle with 2 wheel steer that is hard to park. And what have you done for ride control, I have two settings, how many settings do the new trucks have, or do they have that option. As far as what you've done to help pull a trailer is embarrassing where 4 wheel steer gives 0 trailer whip when passing/changing lanes. You have offered no help to the consumer to control your trailer when backing up. Quadra steer offers the best control for backing a trailer and you take away that convenience and replace it with nothing. Am I rambling, I guess I am. After reading all the posts its obvious 4 wheel steer is great and its frustrating that a manufacturer cant see that. Hopefully it comes back.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelzuzem View Post
    After reading all the posts its obvious 4 wheel steer is great and its frustrating that a manufacturer cant see that. Hopefully it comes back.
    Who owns the rights to Q-steer now?
    The division was GMs Saginaw steering gear that designed it, spun off to Delphi, run through BK and bought by a Chinese firm as Nexteer. That former SSG/Delphi facility is still in operation. So is GM holding on to some patents while refusing to offer it and not allowing others to buy it?

Walking
    Thanks

I am looking at a 03 1500 with 172000 miles, with quadrasteer
    Do you think that is to many miles?
    I have read about parts that may or may not be made anymore.
    Is their a place to look for parts?
    Last edited by wendal; 07-31-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

Can a different rear end be put under the pickup if parts dried up?
    Not ideal but might be the only way to get it back on the road.

Walking
    Thanks

I know its an old thread but I am wondering if someone can tell me if there was a difference between the axles in the 1500 and the 2500? I have a neighbour that is scraping his Yukon with Quadrasteer and I am considering putting it under a 2500 truck. But I need it for towing. Can I change the suspension components and make this as strong as a regular 1 ton pickup truck?

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Silverado Quadrasteer

I believe the the axle in a 1500HD and 2500 is a full floating axle with 8 lugs as opposed to a 1500 which has 6 lugs and has the bearing around the axle. If its a 2500 Yukon - no problem.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by hotrdd View Post
    Can I change the suspension components and make this as strong as a regular 1 ton pickup truck?
    No.

For starters the Q-steer used a Dana 60 center section with a 9.75" ring gear where as a true 1 ton had either a 10.5" or 11.5".
    Then there is RAWR, electronics, etc.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer

I purchased a 2004 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer brand new in 2004. Turns on a dime, I look forward to going to a dealership for service. I always make an "undoable" turn right in front of the car salesman! Very funny to watch their reactions as this big suburban turns does a U turn sharper than anything they have on the lot to sell. Zero problems with the mechanics of Quadrasteer after 12 years of use, including frequent towing of 7,000 lb boat and trailer over the Sierras! Wake up GM, or competitor and bring this option back. If marketed properly, every soccer Mom in the USA would love to own this vehicle. Huge seating and capacity and turns and parks like a Honda Accord!

Walking
    Thanks

Hello, I have a 2003 GMC Sierra Quadrasteer and I have a problem. I put the truck in quadrasteer, and when I went to turn off the quadrasteer, the wheels didn't come back straight. Would you know if there's a way that I can manually set the wheels straight again? GM doesn't make parts for this anymore.. It's a really good truck, in great shape, only 100,000 miles on it, hardly had any mechanical problems with it since I bought it 4 years ago.

Walking
    Thanks

Read this read a couple times over the years. Purchased Daisy the Denali an 03 Sierra Quadrasteer and it has been the best truck I have ever owned. Had the rear differential serviced when I first purchased it and haven't had any problems with the 4wheel steering since (and it was only noise then). Recently I have had to replace the water pump and intake manifold gasket, both common on chevy/gmc trucks. Purchased at 115k and now have 155k and I'm in love. I've had the thought (and means) to purchase a newer model truck but I just can't bring myself to give up the quadrasteer. Already thinking about replacing seats/carpets and painting if need be in the future. Hope I never need any quadrasteer parts in the future but everything else on this truck is easy to find replacements for.

As for the previous comment, I've never experience any issue with the rear wheels. Any time my quad has ever reverted back to 2wd it flashes until the wheel are straight and then locks them in. I don't generally park with the wheels turned but I can't say I never had and I always drive in 4 wheel steering. Would love to know what the fix was in case I ever experience it myself.

DrG
    Walking
    Thanks

I wanted one as soon as they came out and after never finding one at any dealer I went to the Chevrolet Dealer and they would not order it. I went to the GMC Dealer in February 2003 and order a Sierra 1500HD Crewcab Quadrasteer with the HD Towing package. In may the dealer had me return to the dealership to sign papers. They were release papers from GM and another set of papers releasing both of them from any responsibility because I lived in Wisconsin and they believed I should have ordered a 4 Wheel Drive as they had never built a 2 wheel drive quadrasteer. I could not believe it but signed the papers and on July 2 I received my truck. When you looked at the specifications it was identical to the 3500 except for the smaller wheels but was marketed as a 1500HD. It had heavier components than the 2500 series. The transmission was from the 3500. Lots of transmission and rear axle noises but nothing else different but WOW it was the greatest vehicle I've ever owned. It was a 6.0L gas, 2 wheel drive. I kept it about 5 years and when I sold my 30-R Avion (I used it to tow a 34-V, 32-S, and a 30-R Avion travel Trailers) I thought I would never use a trailer again.

The Sticker price for the 2-wd Dual Quad (4 door, 4 wheel steering) was $49,995 (but at the time there was a $5,000 rebate on the $5,900 Quadrasteer Option, Lots of rebates on the truck, and my GM Mastercard rebate (it was unlimited). So after all the deductions, rebates, the cash price was 27,000 no trade-in net out the door (including the sales tax). The next day I drove from Brookfield Wisconsin to northern Indiana and returned the next week and returned to Indiana hitched onto the 35' Avion and away to New Mexico we went. The truck was rated for 9,900 lb towing (due to the tire limitations) 108° in Missouri, 8° grades in New Mexico and the truck towed just fine. No overheating no lack of power the cruise control kept up to speed going up the grades from Roswell to Ruidoso where we went to stay in Carrizo Canyon the last private home before crossing into the Apache Indian Reservation where the Inn of the Moutain Gods casino was located.

Learning to drive, backing up a trailer was totally different. When you turned the wheel with the rear wheel turning the whole unit (truck and trailer) were turning immediately. You had to drive past your normal turning point or you went sideways into whatever was there along side you.

I sold it in 2008 as I had sold my last Avion a 20-R and thought I would never tow again. The only problem I had was with the rear brakes. I came with 4 wheel disc brakes but it also had the conventional rear brake drums. The conventional drums were there for the emergency brake which I have used. Then it developed a brake drag when turning. Well turns out because I had never used the emergency brake that those drums had rusted and where binding when you turned. It would drag and noise could be heard when you turned at slow speeds. Also from the time the truck was new, I could hear what sounded like a lifter noise from the engine or a manifold leak. Local GMC dealer said that was normal as well as the transmission and rear axle noises in 1st and 2nd gear. So I sold the trailer (to the first person who came) and an Avion friend called and wanted to know if I would sell my truck. the tires were weather checked at 5 years and local Michlin dealer wanted over 1,800 for new tires so I sold it. The biggest mistake I've made right after selling my 30-R Avion. Should have never sold either one.

In spite of having the 4.10 axle If I kept it down to 55 it got great mileage and I could turn it into anywhere. instead of steering like a truck, it felt like you were turning a tighter circle than you could with a Chevette or a Ford Escort for turning diameter. I can remember looking up that the turning radius of the 2wd drive pickups was sharper than the 3wd. I drove it almost 5 years and had just over 50,000 miles on the truck. No problems other than the rear brake drums rusting and that caused a bind and clunk when turning. Probably was affecting the mileage. No heat on the drums so it must not have been bad.

If they made the quadrasteer I would be the first in line to order another one.

Other than the engine, transmissions and rear axle noises never had anything but oil changes and grease job (I think there were either 2 or 4 grease fittings as most had sealed grease. I had to get the grease zirks to put in those places that needed grease as GM did not provide those.

When will they come out with another Quadrasteer I want another. I have a F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Echoboost with Max Towing. I like the truck better than the GMC except for the steering. If anyone made it I would have another one as soon as I could.

Walking
    Thanks
    I have new old stock of genuine GM Delphi quadrasteer actuators.
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information