Quadrasteer Cons???? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quadrasteer Cons????

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC WilliamBos's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Quadrasteer Cons????

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyTruckster View Post
    You're 100% correct but GM hasn't quit on the quadrasteer. They say that once they can offer it at a better price , it will be back again. I've driven them and it takes some practice when you park it because it is so manuverable.

That is great news. Build it with a BabyMax, and I am getting one!!
    Will
    2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 QC True North Edition.
    2016 Jeep JKU Sahara - Traded!
    2017 Ram SXT 1500 CC Hemi 4x4 - Traded.
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 CC 4.8L 4X4 - Traded!
    2004 GMC 1500CC Z71 SLT
    350,000 km/217,479 miles - RETIRED.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Quadrasteer Cons????

I agree with all of the positive comments about Quadrasteer. I have a 2002 Sierra Denali, one of the first to be delivered in Kansas City. I like the truck very much. However, the rear steering module needs to be replaced and the dealer tells me that they are no longer available. I thought that parts had to be kept in inventory for 10 years after a model was eliminated. This is very frustrating as it is (or was) a terrific truck with the 4 wheel steering. Backing a trailer up an incline has always been a challenge for me, not with this truck. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. 2 years and $2700 later and the truck is fixed. It took some tenacious work by the mechanic at McCarthy Morse Chevrolet in Overland Park Kansas who tracked down the parts.t also took 3 months, but my Denali is as good as new. Hope GM makes a quadraster type truck again, but until they do I will hang on to this one.
    Last edited by Magoo's Dad; 11-22-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Truck was repaired

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,682 Times in 2,636 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Ive always thought the quadrasteer was an amazing tech option. Ive seen it in action ONCE and it was awesome. The option needs to come back with a price that is not outrageous and you will see lots of takers.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

I worked at a GM dealer in Saginaw Michigan. Around '92-94 I was able to drive a quadrasteer struck around the lot, most likely a first gen model. It was a ext cab long box 4x4 getting detailed for a show or something.

Then years later I was hired into the Saginaw steering gear (SSG)division and met some of the people doing the conversions before production began. IIRC the first QS trucks were around a $8K option. By end of production it was a moderate $2K option, however many dealers were un-informed about it, many not aware of it on 3/4 ton trucks and 'burbans.

SSG had Fords, toyotas, Dodges and Nissians running around with QS and there was talk about offering a conversion kit at one time. Then came the Delphi fiasco, then bankruptcy and the rest is history. Now SSG is owned in part by the Chinese municliple government.

The early versions used a saginaw style 9.5" rear axle. Glad they did not go that route with the gov-loc diff and used a Dana with clutch syle LSD. That is most likely why the maintenance, friction modifiers in the lube for clutch style.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronr64 View Post
    I've only had one issue with it and it is a reoccurring one. That is when first driving it on ice if you slide the rear end with excessive gas it will sometimes put out a error code and go into 2ws. Shut it off and turn it back on and it goes away. This will happen to me maybe 2 or 3 times a winter and almost always as I turn out of my driveway before it has warmed up. I don't believe it has ever happened in the summer that I recall. More of a nuisance than anything else. It drives fine just like a normal truck when this happens but usually I just pull over and shut it off and re-start it.
    Hello, I joined this fourm so I can tell who I can how great The Delphi Quadrasteer system is. I bought my 2003 1500 HD Quadrasteer Sierra in 2008 with 72,000 miles and it now has 93,000. Simply stated I will never by another truck again. I haul alot of different trailers and I LOVE IT!. I never had problems before with standard steer trucks but man the ease of the whole 4steer makes it so much quicker and safer for me. I notice it on the road too with the 4steer trailer mode. and the rear stance of the truck just adds to the whole package. with saftey and stability. I only wished GM would had kept the QS around long enough to pair it with stabilitrak, (don't know if the Denalis had it) That would had been a great marketing and safety option/duo.

Anyway THe only issue I've had with it is what ronr64 has, though for me it only happens when the temp hits -10 or below and like he said it only happens 2-3 tops a winter. I just shut it off and restart it and it goes away. (actually there is a GM service bulletin acknowledging this specific problem and stating the solution is actually to shut the truck off and restart it.....seriously I have a copy of this bulletin. Pretty much GM says the problem is not the 4ws, it's that the main PCM in the truck itself doesn't sense the 4ws system sometimes when it's cold. (there is a delay in the self dianogstic signal sent to the 4ws PCM which tricks the main PCM into a error code) GM passes it off as "the nature of the beast" and states the restart as a proper corrective action. So really there really has been no problems I've had with the 4ws unit. Delphi got it right. God bless over engineering!

Walking
    Thanks

This is an old link, I have a 2004 4X4 Chevy Quadrasteer. There is one dissapointing thing about the Quadrasteer. That is they do not make it any more. I will rebuild and restore the one i have till the day i die. Unless they bring it back. Once ya go Quad, you can never go back. It has ruined my life! I can afford a new truck, but I can't let go. I would not sell it for the 50K i paid for it. Not sure i would take 100K. Full size extended cab truck with the turning radius of a Toyota Camery. Not for sale.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ljtyphoon's Avatar
    Thanks

If people would have driven a Quadrasteer truck they would have bought one!! People mention 15,000 mile fluid change, but it is not mentioned in manual for my 04. It calls for GM part #12378557 with no friction mod.(limited slip additive may be already in?) Do some of the Quadrasteer vehicles call for this service in their Maint. Schedules or is it just good P.M?
    I know my 99 TA calls for rear end lube change.. so maybe GM thought the Dana 60 didn't need no stinkin badges, I mean maintenance.
    LJ
    Last edited by ljtyphoon; 05-17-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: ..,
    Hidden Content 70 Pontiac TA Ram Air 4 manual
    73 GMC 23' Sequia 455 Olds FWD
    78 GMC 26' Royale 403 Olds FWD
    93 GMC Typhoon AWD 3500 miles with both options
    98 Honda Valk. 6 cylinder Windshield & Hard Bags
    99 Pontiac TA 30th Anniv. Conv. WS6 manual
    02 Pontiac Aztec only option tow package
    04 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0 E-Force AWD Quadrasteer
    06 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
    09 Pontiac G8 GXP stick & sunroof
    09 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe GM Pwr Upg
    15 Cadillac ATS Sedan 2.0T new Cadiac for 30K
    They own me

Walking
    Thanks

Purchased mine in 04 with 7k miles. It was a gm exec. Vehicle. Never titled until me. Bought the extended warranty in case . It replaced a water pump, cracked flywheel, Bose amp, ac compressor. I replaced a leaking front shock at 80k miles along with same side wheel bearing. I had the same clunking sound in the reared when reversing. Replaced reared fluid and got rid of it. Just had a 4x4 sensor replaced and dash switch for 700.00 ouch. The chevy dealer always calls me days after my service to try and buy my truck. I tell them to sell me a new quadrasteer.sorry! Everyone that see's it coments on it. I put 20" rims and bigger tires on it and painted all the black trim silver birch exterior color. Clear cab lights. Clear marker bedside lights. Billet door handles.billet grill. And........still haven't had a single issue with the rear steering! I love it! Contact me if you want. 602-920-0086 jeff

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ljtyphoon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
    I own two Quadrasteer Suburbans.

One is a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4wd Quadrasteer. Her name is Olivia, and I have had her since she had 6,000 miles on her. She was a GM executive car. She now has 80,000 miles on her, and she pulls a 7400# Airstream travel trailer on a regular basis.

The other is Daisy. Daisy is a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 2wd Quadrasteer. I bought Daisy two years ago when she had 23,000 miles on her. She now has 60,000 miles on the odometer. Daisy also pulls the Airstream long distances on a regular basis.

Neither Olivia nor Daisy have given me a moment's trouble with their Quadrasteer units. I have always had the Quadrasteer units serviced at a GM dealer every 15,000 miles, as recommended. I run both the girls in the four wheel steering mode at all times, and in the four wheel steering trailer mode when towing the Airstream.

I absolutely love the Quadrasteer. That's why I bought Daisy as a back-up tow vehicle. I want to extend the Quadrasteer experience as long as possible. I refer to Olivia and Daisy as my "Trick Suburbans". They can out maneuver a Honda Civic in a Wal-Mart parking lot, and do things with a 25 foot travel trailer that are downright astonishing.

The Quadrasteer option was somewhat expensive. When introduced in 2003, the Quadrasteer option was $4995. Buy 2005, it had been reduced to $1995. In the Silverado and Sierra, it was offered on both the 1500 and the 2500. In the Suburban and Yukon XL it was offered only in the 2500 series as the Quadrasteer unit requires a rear leaf spring suspension. 1500 Suburbans had already gone to rear coils by that time.

Quadrasteer Suburbans are quite rare, but are always easy to spot on the road. They have the five amber front roof marker lights, amber and red marker lights fore and aft of the rear wheel wells on extended splash guards, and and three red marker lights on the rear directly above the center stop light. At first, I thought that all these lights were just a little bling to ID a quadrasteer. I later found out that they are required by Federal Regulations, as a Quadrasteers rear track is greater that 82". That's why you always see these clearance light on dually pick-ups. A Quadrasteers rear track is 5" wider than its front track.

I would really love to see GM reintroduce the Quadtrasteer.

Here is a shot of Daisy at work.
    So your vehicle calls for lube change at 15,000 miles in maint. schedule? Mine says nothing about lube change, did your dealer just suggest that? Would like to know if the SUV versions had different maint. requirements then the Quadrasteer trucks, and if so should I change the fluid when my truck gets that many miles on it.
    LJ
    Hidden Content 70 Pontiac TA Ram Air 4 manual
    73 GMC 23' Sequia 455 Olds FWD
    78 GMC 26' Royale 403 Olds FWD
    93 GMC Typhoon AWD 3500 miles with both options
    98 Honda Valk. 6 cylinder Windshield & Hard Bags
    99 Pontiac TA 30th Anniv. Conv. WS6 manual
    02 Pontiac Aztec only option tow package
    04 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0 E-Force AWD Quadrasteer
    06 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
    09 Pontiac G8 GXP stick & sunroof
    09 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe GM Pwr Upg
    15 Cadillac ATS Sedan 2.0T new Cadiac for 30K
    They own me

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GMC Denali -Silver Birch

The Quadrasteer truck is truly amazing as well as unique. I bought mine when it was a couple of years old. I had heard of them but never driven or seen one up close. The Denali level creature comforts are, of course, outstanding but it was indeed the Quadrasteer that sold the truck! Living in snow country, I had to have power to both axles but all wheel drive AND all wheel steering is a fantastic combination. Then one winter I needed tires and decided to add Blizzak tires. WOW! I'm still making amazing turn arounds but also backing loaded trailers up steep driveways in the snow. There is no appreciable difference in driving on snow or dry concrete.
    I would like to buy a new truck again some day but, like some others have said, I am now stuck with my '04 until it dies, I die, or one of the manufacturers wakes up and once again offers this option. I LOVE this truck.
    The axle is based on the Dana 60 and its bulletproof. In my model, it requires no attention, early fluid changes or special fluid. If you look underneath, it is well protected. Remember when you take it in for alignment that they probably will not know they can adjust the rear just like they do the front, so tell them; "align both axles." The only caution I have ever heard came from a GM service manager (personal opinion - not from the factory) and is for a boat owner not to back it in so deep that the Quadrasteer computer is totally submerged. It is well placed and up high and that would be VERY deep indeed. Continous rain and water is never a problem so I don't know how valid that caution is.
    The false "Service 4 Wheel Steering" warning is real but very rare. Regardless of temperature you can sometimes cause it to come on by parking with the wheels (front and rear) cramped at a large angle. It handles it that just fine but when you next come out to start the truck, it doesn't like figuring out where everything is pointed when the computer first wakes up. Again, just straightening the wheels, turning the ignition switch off and back on fixes it every time. If you are one of those guys that slams the door twists the ignition and throws it into gear in one fast motion, you will see this light. You can select 2ws anytime. When you ask for 4ws it helps to have everything already straight.
    The Quadrasteer computer like lots of input and if it doesn't like the results it locks out the rear axle and defaults to 2ws. One other quirk you can cause happens when you are rolling down the road and throw it into neutral. This condition makes no sense at all to the computer so it turns on all the mode lights and goes to 2ws. I think this actually comes from the trucks ECM because the AWD system can no longer talk to the wheels even though it knows they are turning. That information goes to the QS computer and it defaults to the safe mode of 2ws. Again, you have to make this happen; otherwise you'd never be in this condition.
    The only operational thing I ever think about is if you happen to go to one of the old fashioned car washes that have the round steel rails close in on both sides to guide you. I have found that because of the wider track these are closer to the rear tires. Not a problem and the truck and steering don't care but if you turn the wheel too much when exiting the rear tires will squeal against the rails. Again, it doesn't hurt anything but I just switch to 2wd before entering and it doesn't happen.

If you have a chance to buy one of these rare trucks; DO IT! And if you don't fall in love with it, I know plenty of guys that will take it off your hands.

Walking
    Thanks

Help! I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban and need to replace my Quadrasteer module. I am told they do NOT make one anymore and need to replace the whole thing. Please help me find one. Glen Moorehead

Walking
    Thanks

I have the Sierra Denali 2004 with quadrasteer. I've looked at new trucks now for two years and have to say I can't give up the convenience of the quadrasteer. In 12 years they have never made a better option that can make me switch trucks. Most people that ask me whats wrong with my back tires know nothing about quadrasteer. It's always a fun time when I tell them the back tires are suppose to turn. Most people say what the hell for. This tells me how bad GMC marketed this option. If it was still available it would have taken off with a bang. People cant believe it turns as sharp as a Honda civic. Unfortunately after ten years of problem free convenience I have to bring it in for a service as it is not engaging. I hope it is not a module or we will both be looking. I will pay anything to get it back. My wife and I can't stand the truck any more after only a week without the quadrasteering. You don't realize how convenient it is until your without it. If I lose it I may buy a Dodge, their the only ones coming out with some innovative stuff, maybe we can count on them to give us a new truck with quadrasteer. I've given up all hope of GMC ever doing anything. The fact that GMC don't take care of their customers after only ten years really puts a halt to me ever buying a product from them again. I'll see what happens Wednesday when she goes in. If they cant fix mine and they don't sell a new quadrasteer i'm gone. 30 year Chev/GMC fan will be out of there....very sad. I'm sure we will fix it though just take some searching and get er done. Be good for another ten years. Its saved me more money over the years anyway as I would have bought 2 new trucks from them by now if the quadrasteer was still an option.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems like there is quite a following for the Quadra Steer. To bad it was an $8700 CDN option at the time, and I never personally ordered 1. After I left the dealership they did order 1 as a Sold Unit, and it is still around town.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    SLT Z71 Double cab 6.2/ blk

Thumbs up Re: Quadrasteer Cons????

[QUOTE=68w46;1302818]Can anybody tell me the common problems with Quadrasteer trucks? What were the service issues? I'd like to purchase a used one but I'm not sure what bad things to look for. Why Did GM stop the offering of Quadrasteer?
    I'd prefer a non Denali. I don't want or need all wheel drive or all those creature comforts. And the 5.3 would do just fine for me.

I bought mine new in 02. Best option ever. Did I tell you best option ever! If gm would have marketed to us city dwellers, ie makes your truck so easy to maneuver and park, they would have sold millions. I will keep this truck till it dies. Maintenance is simple, change of fluid. I supercharged my truck and have over 700 hp through drivetrain. QS has been flawless. Again best option ever! Gm please bring it back.

Walking
    Thanks

I am considering buying a used GMC Sierra Denali Quadrasteer. I'm mostly concerned with the parts and service of the Quadrasteer system. Can I get any input/suggestions?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information