GM Inside News Forum banner

Quadrasteer Cons????

284K views 47 replies 39 participants last post by  SteveMCHS 
#1 ·
Can anybody tell me the common problems with Quadrasteer trucks? What were the service issues? I'd like to purchase a used one but I'm not sure what bad things to look for. Why Did GM stop the offering of Quadrasteer?
I'd prefer a non Denali. I don't want or need all wheel drive or all those creature comforts. And the 5.3 would do just fine for me.
AJ

#2 ·
The few people that I ran into that owned them seemed to love them. They turn on a dime.

Not sure about service issues but your talking about more unsprung weight on the rear end, more width to deal with, more mechanical complexity. Lack of interest in it was why it was discontinued. A cost premium of 4k in the beginning didn't make sense to a lot of people.

#6 ·
as Hawkeye said, they stopped offering them because it was just too expensive an option and not many people ordered them. I've never heard of any problems with them. As a matter of fact I saw one on the road the other day!
You're 100% correct but GM hasn't quit on the quadrasteer. They say that once they can offer it at a better price , it will be back again. I've driven them and it takes some practice when you park it because it is so manuverable.

#5 ·
A guy at my church got a Quadrasteer Z71 when they first came out, it was really cool, but I remember hearing him saying it can be a little awkward sometimes. When he was at Wal-Mart not to long after he got it he was turning into a parking spot and swiped the rear of a car because it turned in so sharp! But then he traded it for a SSR(5.3). That being said, I have always liked the Qudrasteer trucks, but thought they needed to make it avaliable on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, cause most people who tow alot have trucks bigger than 1/2 tons!

#7 ·
I own two Quadrasteer Suburbans.

One is a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4wd Quadrasteer. Her name is Olivia, and I have had her since she had 6,000 miles on her. She was a GM executive car. She now has 80,000 miles on her, and she pulls a 7400# Airstream travel trailer on a regular basis.

The other is Daisy. Daisy is a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 2wd Quadrasteer. I bought Daisy two years ago when she had 23,000 miles on her. She now has 60,000 miles on the odometer. Daisy also pulls the Airstream long distances on a regular basis.

Neither Olivia nor Daisy have given me a moment's trouble with their Quadrasteer units. I have always had the Quadrasteer units serviced at a GM dealer every 15,000 miles, as recommended. I run both the girls in the four wheel steering mode at all times, and in the four wheel steering trailer mode when towing the Airstream.

I absolutely love the Quadrasteer. That's why I bought Daisy as a back-up tow vehicle. I want to extend the Quadrasteer experience as long as possible. I refer to Olivia and Daisy as my "Trick Suburbans". They can out maneuver a Honda Civic in a Wal-Mart parking lot, and do things with a 25 foot travel trailer that are downright astonishing.

The Quadrasteer option was somewhat expensive. When introduced in 2003, the Quadrasteer option was $4995. Buy 2005, it had been reduced to $1995. In the Silverado and Sierra, it was offered on both the 1500 and the 2500. In the Suburban and Yukon XL it was offered only in the 2500 series as the Quadrasteer unit requires a rear leaf spring suspension. 1500 Suburbans had already gone to rear coils by that time.

Quadrasteer Suburbans are quite rare, but are always easy to spot on the road. They have the five amber front roof marker lights, amber and red marker lights fore and aft of the rear wheel wells on extended splash guards, and and three red marker lights on the rear directly above the center stop light. At first, I thought that all these lights were just a little bling to ID a quadrasteer. I later found out that they are required by Federal Regulations, as a Quadrasteers rear track is greater that 82". That's why you always see these clearance light on dually pick-ups. A Quadrasteers rear track is 5" wider than its front track.

I would really love to see GM reintroduce the Quadtrasteer.

Here is a shot of Daisy at work.

Reactions: skylark68
#24 ·
So your vehicle calls for lube change at 15,000 miles in maint. schedule? Mine says nothing about lube change, did your dealer just suggest that? Would like to know if the SUV versions had different maint. requirements then the Quadrasteer trucks, and if so should I change the fluid when my truck gets that many miles on it.
LJ

#9 ·
The entire rear differential unit on a Quadrasteer is different. The Quadrasteer differential requires a special synthetic lubricant specified by GM. GM recommends draining and refilling the Quadrasteer differential with new synthetic lubricant every 15,000 miles.

#10 ·
We have driven our Quadrasteers on many dirt mountain switch back roads, not usually the purview of Suburbans. With Quadrasteer, the Suburban can handle this more like a Jeep Wrangler.

#11 ·
I love these vids, but they are simply for visibility not reliabilty documentation, as they were when the tech was new...enjoy

#12 ·
I've owned a 2003 GMC Sierra Denali since new. It is simply the best vehicle I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot.) It has been 100% reliable and frankly I have ridden it hard and put it away wet these last 7 years.

Replacing the diff fluid is critical. If you go over the 15K miles, eventually the diff will make a "grinding" sound in reverse. The oil is about $25 a quart (ouch!) from GM. New oil gets rid of the noise.

The QS technology was tested to destruction by the manufacturer Delphi. The Dana 60's are built for war. I carry a 1600# truck camper and flat tow a dune buggy and the truck just shrugs it off. They are rated to tow 2000#. The wide real track offers great stability, and I've added Firestone airbags and front wheels spacers so the front and rear wheels are the same width.

It is hugely entertaining to see the faces of people in parking lots when I make a turn. The vast majority of people have never heard of QS, so they are amazed when they see it for the first time. As well as the tight turning circle, an added benefit is that it feels like it's on rails on a mountain switchback. I agree with the previous comment that you have to be careful maneuvering in tight quarters because it can turn faster than you're used to, especially if you alternate driving a lesser vehicle without this amazing feature (like my wife's Toyata Sienna. A real lemon, but that's for another forum.)

The AWD system on the Denali is very competent too. I go off road a lot, and I've NEVER gotten stuck.

I will probably keep this truck 'til I die, it's that good. GM should bring it back or maybe Delphi should license it to another manufacturer. Doubtful both, I know. Anyway I'm just going to enjoy ownership, as resale values are pretty low and there is nothing on the market that can touch it in my opinion.

Thank you GM Canada and Delphi Corp. for creating this awesome machine!
Andy
Dana Point, CA

#14 ·
I used to buy a new truck every 2 or 3 years. I am now on year 8 with my 2003 crewcab quadrasteer. I've looked at the new trucks several times and the only thing stopping me is that I would have to give up my quadrasteer. If they still offered it I would have bought probably two other trucks in the last 8 years so they are hurting their truck sales with me anyways! But you specifically asked about cons. As others have pointed out you do have to be careful when turning tight when the tail end is close to something. You can switch it to front steer only so it is not a problem as long as you don't forget! I've yet to bump into anything. I park it with my collector cars and it is a tight squeeze (is any garage ever big enough?) and it is very handy when I put it away because by alternating between 4ws and 2ws you can put it right against a wall. I've only had one issue with it and it is a reoccurring one. That is when first driving it on ice if you slide the rear end with excessive gas :) it will sometimes put out a error code and go into 2ws. Shut it off and turn it back on and it goes away. This will happen to me maybe 2 or 3 times a winter and almost always as I turn out of my driveway before it has warmed up. I don't believe it has ever happened in the summer that I recall. More of a nuisance than anything else. It drives fine just like a normal truck when this happens but usually I just pull over and shut it off and re-start it.

#20 ·
I've only had one issue with it and it is a reoccurring one. That is when first driving it on ice if you slide the rear end with excessive gas :) it will sometimes put out a error code and go into 2ws. Shut it off and turn it back on and it goes away. This will happen to me maybe 2 or 3 times a winter and almost always as I turn out of my driveway before it has warmed up. I don't believe it has ever happened in the summer that I recall. More of a nuisance than anything else. It drives fine just like a normal truck when this happens but usually I just pull over and shut it off and re-start it.
Hello, I joined this fourm so I can tell who I can how great The Delphi Quadrasteer system is. I bought my 2003 1500 HD Quadrasteer Sierra in 2008 with 72,000 miles and it now has 93,000. Simply stated I will never by another truck again. I haul alot of different trailers and I LOVE IT!. I never had problems before with standard steer trucks but man the ease of the whole 4steer makes it so much quicker and safer for me. I notice it on the road too with the 4steer trailer mode. and the rear stance of the truck just adds to the whole package. with saftey and stability. I only wished GM would had kept the QS around long enough to pair it with stabilitrak, (don't know if the Denalis had it) That would had been a great marketing and safety option/duo.

Anyway THe only issue I've had with it is what ronr64 has, though for me it only happens when the temp hits -10 or below and like he said it only happens 2-3 tops a winter. I just shut it off and restart it and it goes away. (actually there is a GM service bulletin acknowledging this specific problem and stating the solution is actually to shut the truck off and restart it.....seriously I have a copy of this bulletin. Pretty much GM says the problem is not the 4ws, it's that the main PCM in the truck itself doesn't sense the 4ws system sometimes when it's cold. (there is a delay in the self dianogstic signal sent to the 4ws PCM which tricks the main PCM into a error code) GM passes it off as "the nature of the beast" and states the restart as a proper corrective action. So really there really has been no problems I've had with the 4ws unit. Delphi got it right. God bless over engineering!

#19 ·
I worked at a GM dealer in Saginaw Michigan. Around '92-94 I was able to drive a quadrasteer struck around the lot, most likely a first gen model. It was a ext cab long box 4x4 getting detailed for a show or something.

Then years later I was hired into the Saginaw steering gear (SSG)division and met some of the people doing the conversions before production began. IIRC the first QS trucks were around a $8K option. By end of production it was a moderate $2K option, however many dealers were un-informed about it, many not aware of it on 3/4 ton trucks and 'burbans.

SSG had Fords, toyotas, Dodges and Nissians running around with QS and there was talk about offering a conversion kit at one time. Then came the Delphi fiasco, then bankruptcy and the rest is history. Now SSG is owned in part by the Chinese municliple government.

The early versions used a saginaw style 9.5" rear axle. Glad they did not go that route with the gov-loc diff and used a Dana with clutch syle LSD. That is most likely why the maintenance, friction modifiers in the lube for clutch style.

#21 ·
This is an old link, I have a 2004 4X4 Chevy Quadrasteer. There is one dissapointing thing about the Quadrasteer. That is they do not make it any more. I will rebuild and restore the one i have till the day i die. Unless they bring it back. :) Once ya go Quad, you can never go back. It has ruined my life! I can afford a new truck, but I can't let go. I would not sell it for the 50K i paid for it. Not sure i would take 100K. Full size extended cab truck with the turning radius of a Toyota Camery. Not for sale.

#22 · (Edited)
If people would have driven a Quadrasteer truck they would have bought one!! People mention 15,000 mile fluid change, but it is not mentioned in manual for my 04. It calls for GM part #12378557 with no friction mod.(limited slip additive may be already in?) Do some of the Quadrasteer vehicles call for this service in their Maint. Schedules or is it just good P.M?
I know my 99 TA calls for rear end lube change.. so maybe GM thought the Dana 60 didn't need no stinkin badges, I mean maintenance.
LJ

#23 ·
Purchased mine in 04 with 7k miles. It was a gm exec. Vehicle. Never titled until me. Bought the extended warranty in case . It replaced a water pump, cracked flywheel, Bose amp, ac compressor. I replaced a leaking front shock at 80k miles along with same side wheel bearing. I had the same clunking sound in the reared when reversing. Replaced reared fluid and got rid of it. Just had a 4x4 sensor replaced and dash switch for 700.00 ouch. The chevy dealer always calls me days after my service to try and buy my truck. I tell them to sell me a new quadrasteer.sorry! Everyone that see's it coments on it. I put 20" rims and bigger tires on it and painted all the black trim silver birch exterior color. Clear cab lights. Clear marker bedside lights. Billet door handles.billet grill. And........still haven't had a single issue with the rear steering! I love it! Contact me if you want. 602-920-0086 jeff

#25 ·
The Quadrasteer truck is truly amazing as well as unique. I bought mine when it was a couple of years old. I had heard of them but never driven or seen one up close. The Denali level creature comforts are, of course, outstanding but it was indeed the Quadrasteer that sold the truck! Living in snow country, I had to have power to both axles but all wheel drive AND all wheel steering is a fantastic combination. Then one winter I needed tires and decided to add Blizzak tires. WOW! I'm still making amazing turn arounds but also backing loaded trailers up steep driveways in the snow. There is no appreciable difference in driving on snow or dry concrete.
I would like to buy a new truck again some day but, like some others have said, I am now stuck with my '04 until it dies, I die, or one of the manufacturers wakes up and once again offers this option. I LOVE this truck.
The axle is based on the Dana 60 and its bulletproof. In my model, it requires no attention, early fluid changes or special fluid. If you look underneath, it is well protected. Remember when you take it in for alignment that they probably will not know they can adjust the rear just like they do the front, so tell them; "align both axles." The only caution I have ever heard came from a GM service manager (personal opinion - not from the factory) and is for a boat owner not to back it in so deep that the Quadrasteer computer is totally submerged. It is well placed and up high and that would be VERY deep indeed. Continous rain and water is never a problem so I don't know how valid that caution is.
The false "Service 4 Wheel Steering" warning is real but very rare. Regardless of temperature you can sometimes cause it to come on by parking with the wheels (front and rear) cramped at a large angle. It handles it that just fine but when you next come out to start the truck, it doesn't like figuring out where everything is pointed when the computer first wakes up. Again, just straightening the wheels, turning the ignition switch off and back on fixes it every time. If you are one of those guys that slams the door twists the ignition and throws it into gear in one fast motion, you will see this light. You can select 2ws anytime. When you ask for 4ws it helps to have everything already straight.
The Quadrasteer computer like lots of input and if it doesn't like the results it locks out the rear axle and defaults to 2ws. One other quirk you can cause happens when you are rolling down the road and throw it into neutral. This condition makes no sense at all to the computer so it turns on all the mode lights and goes to 2ws. I think this actually comes from the trucks ECM because the AWD system can no longer talk to the wheels even though it knows they are turning. That information goes to the QS computer and it defaults to the safe mode of 2ws. Again, you have to make this happen; otherwise you'd never be in this condition.
The only operational thing I ever think about is if you happen to go to one of the old fashioned car washes that have the round steel rails close in on both sides to guide you. I have found that because of the wider track these are closer to the rear tires. Not a problem and the truck and steering don't care but if you turn the wheel too much when exiting the rear tires will squeal against the rails. Again, it doesn't hurt anything but I just switch to 2wd before entering and it doesn't happen.

If you have a chance to buy one of these rare trucks; DO IT! And if you don't fall in love with it, I know plenty of guys that will take it off your hands.

#27 ·
I have the Sierra Denali 2004 with quadrasteer. I've looked at new trucks now for two years and have to say I can't give up the convenience of the quadrasteer. In 12 years they have never made a better option that can make me switch trucks. Most people that ask me whats wrong with my back tires know nothing about quadrasteer. It's always a fun time when I tell them the back tires are suppose to turn. Most people say what the hell for. This tells me how bad GMC marketed this option. If it was still available it would have taken off with a bang. People cant believe it turns as sharp as a Honda civic. Unfortunately after ten years of problem free convenience I have to bring it in for a service as it is not engaging. I hope it is not a module or we will both be looking. I will pay anything to get it back. My wife and I can't stand the truck any more after only a week without the quadrasteering. You don't realize how convenient it is until your without it. If I lose it I may buy a Dodge, their the only ones coming out with some innovative stuff, maybe we can count on them to give us a new truck with quadrasteer. I've given up all hope of GMC ever doing anything. The fact that GMC don't take care of their customers after only ten years really puts a halt to me ever buying a product from them again. I'll see what happens Wednesday when she goes in. If they cant fix mine and they don't sell a new quadrasteer i'm gone. 30 year Chev/GMC fan will be out of there....very sad. I'm sure we will fix it though just take some searching and get er done. Be good for another ten years. Its saved me more money over the years anyway as I would have bought 2 new trucks from them by now if the quadrasteer was still an option.

#34 ·
Had the 4 wheel steering fixed, any dealer can fix it even without the parts available so long as machine shops exist. Anything can be repaired for a price. Cost me $1500 because of salt corrosion to the housing that needed to be replaced due to the bolts that snapped in order to replace the sensor. Been problem free for the first 9 years and problem free ever since the fix. I have paid more to have my air conditioning fixed on other vehicles I have had so $1500 is a bargain. I was prepared to spend up to $4000.00 to get it back but like I said $1500 was a deal. After trying out the new trucks I don't have much to say, I will keep this one until the frame falls off then I will somehow weld the axle to a new truck, maybe a ford or dodge and hook the wiring up. Chevy/GMC are not too sharp as they don't seem to listen to the customers wants,..... thanks for stability control but I don't need it when I have 4 wheels that turn to get me out of a skid. Stability control applies brakes to the front tires to pull the vehicle out of a skid which causes the front wheels to lose traction. With 4 wheel steer you don't need to apply brakes that cause your front wheels to stop free rolling QS straightens and corrects the skid without applying brakes and feels 100% more natural. Stability control surprises the driver with a surprise braking that feels just wrong, like you just slipped into a mud hole,...... thanks for the crappy options for the past 10 years they have been more than disappointing. And how have you helped the consumer to maneuver these vehicles, oh yes with cameras that come on when you put it in reverse but by the time the screen comes on I have already put it in drive and completed backing up and if you happen to use the camera it is usually blocked by salt or mud so its still a big vehicle with 2 wheel steer that is hard to park. And what have you done for ride control, I have two settings, how many settings do the new trucks have, or do they have that option. As far as what you've done to help pull a trailer is embarrassing where 4 wheel steer gives 0 trailer whip when passing/changing lanes. You have offered no help to the consumer to control your trailer when backing up. Quadra steer offers the best control for backing a trailer and you take away that convenience and replace it with nothing. Am I rambling, I guess I am. After reading all the posts its obvious 4 wheel steer is great and its frustrating that a manufacturer cant see that. Hopefully it comes back.

#29 ·
Can anybody tell me the common problems with Quadrasteer trucks? What were the service issues? I'd like to purchase a used one but I'm not sure what bad things to look for. Why Did GM stop the offering of Quadrasteer?
I'd prefer a non Denali. I don't want or need all wheel drive or all those creature comforts. And the 5.3 would do just fine for me.

I bought mine new in 02. Best option ever. Did I tell you best option ever! If gm would have marketed to us city dwellers, ie makes your truck so easy to maneuver and park, they would have sold millions. I will keep this truck till it dies. Maintenance is simple, change of fluid. I supercharged my truck and have over 700 hp through drivetrain. QS has been flawless. Again best option ever! Gm please bring it back.

#31 ·
I bought mine brand new 11 years and 150k miles ago. Bet invention ever for a truck. No real issues. He fluid change is expensive but unit has been bullet proof. Gm did a crap job of marketing. Had they let anyone know how they turned in tight spaces every soccer mom in the country would of been tooling around the suburbs in their suburban! I haven't even thought of a new truck until this year due to this option. Unfortunately my suicide doors leakso much air on the highway I can't hear the radio so i buying a new truck but I will still keep this one for in town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.