GM's 2.7-liter turbo engine is in the wrong truck - Page 7

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GM's 2.7-liter turbo engine is in the wrong truck

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoCrazy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSilveradoGuy View Post
    Go and watch the TFL fuel economy loop on YouTube for a better real world test. I enjoy C&D, but their test conditions and numbers just don't make sense.

My 2.7L RST is supposed to be built the week of 4/1. I have a feeling I am one of the few non-media people who have actually driven one. It has more than enough power around town and out on the highway, and it is definitely set up to use its torque curve to its advantage (it really doesn't need/want to rev around town - it loafs along effortlessly as long as you don't get stabby with the go pedal). The only thing some people might find objectionable is the more mechanical grumble and whistle of a turbo 4, versus the (intrusive and irritating IMO) rumble of a V8.

I think it will be a great engine in the truck, unfortunately stuck with the stigma of being a 4 cylinder (people need to get over it and embrace technology and downsizing). My boat is about 4,100lb on trailer, and I am really looking forward to this as a tow vehicle for it (my 2.5L Colorado handles it quite well already as it is).
    Thanks for the write-up. If your 2.5L Colorado did well pulling your 4,100 pound boat/trailer then the your new 2.7L RST should be more than up to the task.

You make an interesting observation about the engines mechanical sounds. I4 bangers have a different sound and feel than V configurations. And V6s are different than V8s but to less lesser degree "different" than a Inline-4 vs any V set-up. Most truck buyers simply don't want a 4-cylinder engine and that bias will likely not change anytime soon. Long term? We'll see but it will be very long term to witness much of a change IMO.

Keep us posted!
    Honestly, aside from the sound, I couldn’t see anyone complaining about the 2.7L in the Silverado from a power perspective unless they were putting it up against the 6.2. The flat torque curve makes it accelerating feel effortless.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MDSilveradoGuy For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (04-02-2019),b4z (04-02-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: GM's 2.7-liter turbo engine is in the wrong truck

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    Ford's 2.7 EB towed a much heavier 9,500 Trailer at 3.5 MPG
    Is that right? I'm not going to check the videos, but the I thought all the 2.7TT F150's were tow rated well below 9500 lbs?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 993 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by MDSilveradoGuy View Post
    Honestly, aside from the sound, I couldn’t see anyone complaining about the 2.7L in the Silverado from a power perspective unless they were putting it up against the 6.2. The flat torque curve makes it accelerating feel effortless.
    Some reviewers have commented the GM 2.7L engine provides certain advantages of a small displacement turbo diesel (low end torque, fuel efficiency) but at a lower cost.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

If you look at the GM800 trucks from 2000-2006 with the 5.3L 285/295 hp this engine has far more tq down low. Our ‘04 Tahoe was rated at 16 mpg but I did a 21.0 fuel economy run one time. Our ‘18 Tahoe with afm can pull 25 mpg no problem and it’s heavier than the ‘04. So I really don’t see the issue with this engine. It’s not going to be as powerful at the Ford 2.7tt but it costs GM a lot less to make. And knowing GM, it will have better fuel economy than the 2.7 tt. The only negative I can see is there might be some unrefined vibrations from the large 4 cylinder but I understand GM has worked hard on nvh. I think it will come down to the weights of the trucks, transmissions and gear ratios to see which has the better 0-60time and fuel economy.
    Last edited by b4z; 04-02-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    You are correct rodslinger. The 2.7 liter Silverados have 3.42:1 axle ratio, whereas the 5.3 liter DFM Silverados use 3.23:1.

3.42:1 axle ratio is available on 5.3 liter DFM Silverados, but it requires the Max Trailering Package. AFAIK, the 5.3 liter Silverado tested by Car and Driver did not have that option.
    We still do not know and the following will not clarify anything...... but then again, a bunch of the 5.3 DFM production up to about 7 weeks ? ago showed that ( Max Trailering Package with the 3.42 ) as a mandatory build option.

On the otherhand......

Methinks that C&D were quite deliberately up to no good here..... which kinda' makes a 3.21 'more likely' in a sense.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 04-02-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information