Is the Baby Duramax coming at last?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Baby Duramax coming at last?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Is the Baby Duramax coming at last?

Having developed an engine to the point that technically it is ready to launch, the thinking has to be that GM will not wish to waste such investments in time and resources when it is dire need of a new engine to compete with Fiat Chrysler Automotive and Ford Motor Company in powertrain for pick-up trucks. The 4.5-litre engine would take GM into the new world (for it) of compacted graphite (CGI) vee engine block components.

from autoindustrynewsletter.blogspot.se

Inevitably, thoughts go back to an earlier statement by Mark Cieslak, GM’s full-size truck chief engineer, who has stated: “The 4.5-litre V8 is fully developed and ready. “[If we decided to offer it] we could launch it in a heartbeat.”
    So has that moment of heartbeat arrived?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: Is the Baby Duramax coming at last?

That engine would be outdated the second it hits the market...wasn't that quote from nearly a decade ago?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to All Star For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (12-16-2016),mbukukanyau (01-13-2017),richmond2000 (12-16-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

If a diesel does come to the Half ton market, it'll be a V6 shared with Cadillac

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ChrisGinNC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,685 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ford F-150 - 2016 Chevy S

I heard on another forum GM has a V6 diesel in the works for the 2019 Silverado/Sierra.

I have no way to vet those claims though.
    2019 Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3L - Havana Brown
    2019 Silverado RST 4x4 5.3L - Black

Previous:
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5L EB
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    2016 Colorado Z71 Duramax
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT
    2014 Silverado High Country

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The 4.5L was too large and powerful, didn't deliver much in the way of operating economy over the 6.6L. I think it's a dead program.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sierra12 For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (01-13-2017),richmond2000 (12-16-2016),SierraGS (01-21-2017),TruckMan (01-09-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

A friend of mine worked for a campany that was looking to "Marine-ize" it and HAD test engines
    the "ALPHA" versions put out good power but at a HIGH fuel burn rate

11. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (01-13-2017)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Cowpie's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 2500HD 6.0L

Still would be something to consider just taking the 2.8L from the Colorado/Canyon platform, opening it up a little to 3.0L, different programming, and put a strong trans with a converter more appropriate for lower RPM peak power, and put it out there and see what happens. Should get great fuel economy and still deliver similar torque as a 6.2L and do it at 2000 RPM. The main part of the R&D would be done and there would be a lot of part interchangeability. Would be cost effective move from a production standpoint.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 1,434 Posts
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

The baby Duramax has been on sale for over a year. That's the 2.8L.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGinNC View Post
    I heard on another forum GM has a V6 diesel in the works for the 2019 Silverado/Sierra.

I have no way to vet those claims though.
    Honestly, if this ends up being true, I will go crash one soon after they go on sale in order to get the engine for my '69.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra12 View Post
    The 4.5L was too large and powerful, didn't deliver much in the way of operating economy over the 6.6L. I think it's a dead program.
    Those of us who have been here for years know that the 4.5L died in the bankruptcy.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post

Those of us who have been here for years know that the 4.5L died in the bankruptcy.
    I think that program was in trouble even before the bankruptcy. All of the 'Big 3' were working on 4.5-5L diesels for 1/2 ton full-size trucks, and none made it into production. International had a 4.5L V-6 Powerstroke for the f-150, that engine was briefly used in a LCF commercial truck (Ford Cargo). Cummins had their 5L V-8 which was slated for the Ram 1500, that engine did finally get picked up by Nissan.

Going back to 2001, there was a proposed 4.5L diesel V-6 based on the Duramax 6.6L. Don't know if any were actually built.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

A DOHC 4.0L V-8 built off the 2.0L Cruze engine could be interesting.
    Should be good for about 300HP, 550TQ.

I'd like to have more towing capacity than a 6.0L gas engine but don't need the whole 400/900+ that the 6.6L provides. Can use a ligher 8sp auto, smaller R&P rear axle etc which all adds up to better fuel economy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowboy For This Useful Post:

thechevyisnumber1 (02-18-2017)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    The baby Duramax has been on sale for over a year. That's the 2.8L.

Honestly, if this ends up being true, I will go crash one soon after they go on sale in order to get the engine for my '69.

Was waiting for someone to point all this out.

Anyways,
    GM has a 3.0L v6 DMAX design they got during their partnership with Isuzu. It remains to be seen if this is the design they are refining for future half-ton use. I've commented on a thread asking if the Baby Duramax could be enough to serve a purpose in the half-tons if it was further refined/tuned/compound turbo'd, and while most didn't like the idea, it can make as much power and more than a 3.0 ecodiesel, and GM wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel with modernizing the mysterious 3.0 DMAX v6, updating the duramax 4.5 (which wouldn't put out nearly as good efficiency numbers), or creating a whole new engine. Emissions would also be alot easier to get by with an already known approved design.

Thanks
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra12 View Post
    I think that program was in trouble even before the bankruptcy. All of the 'Big 3' were working on 4.5-5L diesels for 1/2 ton full-size trucks, and none made it into production. International had a 4.5L V-6 Powerstroke for the f-150, that engine was briefly used in a LCF commercial truck (Ford Cargo). Cummins had their 5L V-8 which was slated for the Ram 1500, that engine did finally get picked up by Nissan.

Going back to 2001, there was a proposed 4.5L diesel V-6 based on the Duramax 6.6L. Don't know if any were actually built.
    I just find the whole half-ton diesel saga to have been wild to watch. Cummins originally started out at 5.6L, but by the time Nissan inked the deal, it shrunk to 5L. There was also a plan for a V6 (4.2L IIRC). Ford developed the 4.4L V8, & even though they didn't use it in the F150 as they originally planned, they let Land Rover build them for one of it's models. GM, on the other hand, was ready to start building them, then tanked the whole plan during the bankruptcy. If the 4.5L would have seen production, I could imagine one in my classic truck. But, s#!t happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Helgaiden View Post
    Was waiting for someone to point all this out.

Anyways,
    GM has a 3.0L v6 DMAX design they got during their partnership with Isuzu. It remains to be seen if this is the design they are refining for future half-ton use. I've commented on a thread asking if the Baby Duramax could be enough to serve a purpose in the half-tons if it was further refined/tuned/compound turbo'd, and while most didn't like the idea, it can make as much power and more than a 3.0 ecodiesel, and GM wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel with modernizing the mysterious 3.0 DMAX v6, updating the duramax 4.5 (which wouldn't put out nearly as good efficiency numbers), or creating a whole new engine. Emissions would also be alot easier to get by with an already known approved design.
    I have commented in that same thread & was doubtful about the 2.8L being able to be acceptable in the half-ton trucks. Then GM goes & offers the 2.8 in the three-quarter ton vans. Welp, I guess that question is answered.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by All Star View Post
    That engine would be outdated the second it hits the market...wasn't that quote from nearly a decade ago?
    Meh. I think I read that the output was expected to meet or exceed the original 6.6L Duramax engine from 15 or so years ago. 300 horsepower and 500 lb-ft would be more than adequate for a "half ton HD" pickup and for entry level "2500 HD" diesel users.

Thanks
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

The 4.5L V8 is dead. It won't be revived. Simple as that.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 788 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

No need to now, Dodge, Nissan and Ford will have diesel equipped 1/2 tons. It is not like GM just to follow trends, they are Leaders. No wait, that was 25 years ago.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information