AutoTrac Performance

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: AutoTrac Performance

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    Let me know what you think about the way AutoTrac has worked in your experiences. Feel free to post responses also. Please include which AutoTrac equipped model you own.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I had Autotrac in a 2000 Silverado and currently have it in my 2003 Avalanche. It has worked flawlessly and in the past 3 Minnesota winters, I have not locked in to 4hi even once.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ive had 2 scares on icy highways locking in during a corner, I much prefer to lock it in during those times so that you know what to expect

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks
    many different kinds of autotrac...for instance in 2003 the way and how it engages in 1500 model trucks changed to prevet hammering engagemeant....makes it tough to compare.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts
    I have heard good things about the newer autotrac systems. I just prefer the shift on the fly version found on the Dodge Ram. I think you can still get it on the new GMs too (thank God). A friend of mine has a 2003 z71, he only had one glitch with his autotrac, but otherwise, it works fine.
    They aren't going to get rid of the shift on the fly 4wd, are they? I prefer simplicity in my trucks.
    What is the difference between the system used on the trailblazers and the sytem used on the silverado/avalanche? :huh:

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    Originally posted by member12@Dec 11 2003, 05:22 PM
    They aren't going to get rid of the shift on the fly 4wd, are they? I prefer simplicity in my trucks.

What is the difference between the system used on the trailblazers and the sytem used on the silverado/avalanche? :huh:
    No, there is still a standard 4WD mode. The selector goes 2WD, A4WD, 4WD, 4LO.
    Autotrac's intent is that 2WD gas mileage is observed while retaining 4WD when needed.

Now, as to the different systems, I don't know. Autotrac is driven by a viscous coupling, so unless they've changed the fluid used, or somehow changed the design of the two clutch plates. From what I understand of fluid mechanics, it would stand to reason that a higher viscosity fluid would cause more shear to transfer between the two clutch plates with less slip. That said, I had inquired nearly a year ago with Amsoil if there was an option offered for Autotrac II fluid. I did this more or less to see what type of fluid this was as far as viscosity was concerned. At that time, they said that the Autotrac's fluid was some pretty special stuff, they had not developed an equivalent fluid, nor did they plan to in the future. I don't know, food fore though anyway. I wonder what makes it so special.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts
    I just prefer to shift, not push a button. Autotrack works well from what I hear, but I just don't see a switch working as well 10 years after purchase compared to the base 4wd system on gm trucks. (4low, 4hi, and 2hi with a floor mounted shifter)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    Aren't the new transfer cases electronically controlled? So a floor shifter would be pointless and wouldnt work anyways, would it not?

Walking
    Thanks

Re: AutoTrac Performance

My opinion on autotrac? Well i own a 2000 Gmc Sierra (2 inch torsion key lift, 3 inch blocks, 2 inch body lift 33inch BFG MT's) . Depending on what your truck will be used for is what decides if autotrac is good for you. i am on my 2nd T-Case and its apart right now due to a loss of 4wd in reverse ( its not a mechanical probelm but the sending unit which tells the encoder motor how much pressure to apply to the clutch plates). However my truck has traveled alot of tough roads ( Deep mud and snow, slippery clay steep hills) and it has taken its toll on the case, I have never used the "auto" mode on my t case. If things were bad enough i needed 4wd i would engage it. if i had the chance to re buy, a floor mounted shifter would be my choice. no encoder motor, 4wd buttons (just replaced, 160$ from GM), computers, clutchs, ect. But if the truck will be used as a grocery getter, i suppose an autotrac will be just fine

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information