This is why I say that Car and Driver is trolling Cadillac

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is why I say that Car and Driver is trolling Cadillac

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Robert1969's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 766 Posts

This is why I say that Car and Driver is trolling Cadillac

So remember their review saying the CT4 450T “struggled to make a mark”? Clearly that means they didn’t like the car right?

Well get this, they rate it an 8.out of 10. They trashed the 2.7T as unrefined, but in this overview they recommend it. What? They complained about it being too soft but in this overview they call it athletic and a “solid entry” in the segment?

Here’s their verdict in the overview:

“VERDICT Athletic and handsomely styled, the Cadillac CT4 is a solid entry-luxury compact car with legitimate appeal.”

This is the car they hated right?

Remember the engine they hated, they have this to say now:

“No matter which option packages you choose, do yourself a favor and spec the more powerful turbocharged 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine.”

This is rare in reviews of any product: to nitpick the product to pieces even as your overall view of the product is that it is a “solid entry-luxury” product with legit appeal?

What is this about?

Quite often C/D’s review of Cadillacs come with troll worthy negative headlines while the review reflects a much better product than the headline implies.

You’d think they thought the 450T just didn’t have what it takes for the segment. But their overview makes clear that is not the case.

So frustrating:

https://www.caranddriver.com/cadillac/ct4
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-21-2020),BlackGTP (09-21-2020),Cobaltss_King (09-21-2020),Dovetonsils (09-21-2020),dslay04 (09-24-2020),JBsZ06 (09-26-2020),mbukukanyau (09-21-2020),Vagon11 (09-21-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 2,134 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: This is why I say that Car and Driver is trolling Cadillac

Well... compare it to its competition.
    The Caddy has buzzy engines and down-market interior materials. This has been a constant problem for Cadillac for decades.

It can still be a competent car and still fall short of its competition.

I think the summary can best be reworded as "This is a RWD Cadillac that is a competent driver; however, it had notable problems in refinement for a car in this class."

It's essentially the same review of nearly every Cadillac the last 2 decades.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (09-21-2020),Mr.Buttons (09-21-2020),sdotjeezy (09-21-2020),The Handler (09-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 1,556 Posts

^^^exactly...pretty good sports sedan, crappy luxury sedan. And I still don't like the ass end of it.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (09-21-2020),mgescuro (09-21-2020),Mr.Buttons (09-21-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,666 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    The Caddy has buzzy engines and down-market interior materials. This has been a constant problem for Cadillac for decades.

I think the summary can best be reworded as "This is a RWD Cadillac that is a competent driver; however, it had notable problems in refinement for a car in this class."

You are right. I have been a fan of Cadillac since back in the 70's when my folks had 5 of them during about a decades time span, and I have noticed this of them too as you point out. Doesn't diminish my affection for them but Lord I wish they could shake that BS.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

mgescuro (09-23-2020),Mr.Buttons (09-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    ^^^exactly...pretty good sports sedan, crappy luxury sedan. And I still don't like the ass end of it.
    Front end is pretty yucky too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    Front end is pretty yucky too.
    Yeah...the fake corner vents on the front are too high up, makes it look really weird. It's an overall frumpy looking car and the AWD ride height/fender gap is bad...I have no clue why some here are all ate up over it.

Re the review...it's like the OP reads every Cadillac review while looking for something to be outraged about. It's just a review dude.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-21-2020),gkr778 (09-21-2020),The Handler (09-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,554 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Re the review...it's like the OP reads every Cadillac review while looking for something to be outraged about.
    Looks like the OP is the one "trolling" here, not Car and Driver.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Lone Star Skipper Evinrude 35

I would think if you like Cadis (I admit I've never found them appealing) you would have some idea that C&D wasn't a great place to look for a review of one. I don't have much use for luxury cars in general so C&D is fine with me, and I can ignore the articles that don't interest me.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Robert1969's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Larkbill View Post
    I would think if you like Cadis (I admit I've never found them appealing) you would have some idea that C&D wasn't a great place to look for a review of one. I don't have much use for luxury cars in general so C&D is fine with me, and I can ignore the articles that don't interest me.
    Rather beside the point.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,306 Times in 4,992 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

The problem with that is when I drove the 2.7T CT4 Premium Luxury, I did not find the engine to be buzzy. I've driven many BMW's and agree with the comments about my '13 ATS - the 2.0T is nowhere near BMW engines in smoothness which takes away a lot of the fun of the car (though the engine isn't horrible either). But I stepped out of that CT4 with a huge-ass grin on my face because the car was so much damn fun that I question the complaints against the engine. Loud - yes, unrefined, no. Though I did only drive it for 20 minutes to a half hour - so maybe I'd notice more after driving it longer. Interior materials are quality - maybe the design isn't exciting, but the quality is there. Clearly I didn't drive the CT5, but I find it hard to believe it's horrible.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (09-25-2020),Robert1969 (09-25-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    The problem with that is when I drove the 2.7T CT4 Premium Luxury, I did not find the engine to be buzzy. I've driven many BMW's and agree with the comments about my '13 ATS - the 2.0T is nowhere near BMW engines in smoothness which takes away a lot of the fun of the car (though the engine isn't horrible either). But I stepped out of that CT4 with a huge-ass grin on my face because the car was so much damn fun that I question the complaints against the engine. Loud - yes, unrefined, no. Though I did only drive it for 20 minutes to a half hour - so maybe I'd notice more after driving it longer. Interior materials are quality - maybe the design isn't exciting, but the quality is there. Clearly I didn't drive the CT5, but I find it hard to believe it's horrible.
    I drove BMW 4 and Audi A5 Sportback 2 weeks ago. I found them loud under hard acceleration. I'm not sure I'd ever characterize a BMW engine as "smooth." But it is refined. It isn't "buzzy." But it is Loud. Theres no vibrations coming thru the wheel. The car absorbs the road imperfections or doesn't shudder or bottom out as you hit bumps in the road. But driving Model Y and 3 recently as well, the 4 and A5 are pretty sloppy.
    I only drove these because a buddy of mine wanted to test drive them. He's leaning towards an A5 Sportback. I'm eyeing CUV's for purchase next year.

I purposely drive on the road imperfections and on the divider buttons to see what the car does and sounds like. And I drive them fairly hard as well. That being said, having driven Model Y and 3 recently as well, the 4 and A5 are pretty sloppy.

I have no desire to drive a Cadillac. Because while they may drive well, they always lack in the actual "luxury" aspect. There's no prestige or clout in driving a Cadillac anymore. The calculus no longer works for me.

Right now, a 2021 Velar P400e is at the top of my list. So, biding my time.

Thanks

I drove BMW 4 and Audi A5 Sportback 2 weeks ago. I found them loud under hard acceleration. I'm not sure I'd ever characterize a BMW engine as "smooth." But it is refined. It isn't "buzzy." But it is Loud. Theres no vibrations coming thru the wheel. The car absorbs the road imperfections or doesn't shudder or bottom out as you hit bumps in the road. But driving Model Y and 3 recently as well, the 4 and A5 are pretty sloppy.
    I only drove these because a buddy of mine wanted to test drive them. He's leaning towards an A5 Sportback. I'm eyeing CUV's for purchase next year.

I purposely drive on the road imperfections and on the divider buttons to see what the car does and sounds like. And I drive them fairly hard as well. That being said, having driven Model Y and 3 recently as well, the 4 and A5 are pretty sloppy.

I have no desire to drive a Cadillac. Because while they may drive well, they always lack in the actual "luxury" aspect. There's no prestige or clout in driving a Cadillac anymore. The calculus no longer works for me.

Right now, a 2021 Velar P400e is at the top of my list. So, biding my time.
    You''ll be back once the Imajiq is released.....Wow..that fast I forgot the name of the EVillac.....Oh oh ...LYRIQ.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    You''ll be back once the Imajiq is released.....Wow..that fast I forgot the name of the EVillac.....Oh oh ...LYRIQ.
    The idea of the Lyric is great.
    I don't like the look of it. I don't find the design compelling. But it's a show car, so I don't know what it's going to look like in production form. The interior should go into production as is though. IT's modern and tech-forward. And it looks luxurious. But we all know how GM likes to cheap out.

Thanks

I'm curious to see if GM follows through and gives a Cadillac exclusive switchgear. I'm not talking Buick level switches with a small piece of aluminum glued to the tip...I'm talking T8 Volvo like crystal shifters, knobs, etc.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks

The idea of the Lyric is great.
    I don't like the look of it. I don't find the design compelling. But it's a show car, so I don't know what it's going to look like in production form. The interior should go into production as is though. IT's modern and tech-forward. And it looks luxurious. But we all know how GM likes to cheap out.
    Fair enough.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

mgescuro (09-25-2020)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information