Why Cadillac Doesn't Need a Sub-ATS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Why Cadillac Doesn't Need a Sub-ATS

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0T

Why Cadillac Doesn't Need a Sub-ATS

Now that we've seen the new 1-Series BMW, people will clamor saying that Cadillac needs a Cruze-based econobox to compete with it. Mercedes had everybody talking when the CLA came out with its $29,995 price tag. Well, guess what happened?

Mercedes-Benz CLA
    WAS$29,995
    NOW$32,975

The Audi A3 also now starts above $30,000, and there is no reason to believe that BMW will undercut Audi. Like I suggested in the thread about re-positioning future Cadillacs with the placement of the CT6 as an E-Class/5-Series competitor, Cadillac should make its cars slightly larger, and slightly more expensive than their class counterparts. CT2/ATS can keep a $33,000 price tag and 200hp base engine and properly compete with CLA etc. as long as they give it some aesthetic flair. Powertrain-wise, it can still slug it out with the C-Class/next-gen 3-Series, but undercut their prices.

Maybe, Cadillac just needs a legion full of tweeners: priced like the class under, but sized like the class above. As long as they are opulent and capable, it wouldn't hurt their image, and it gives Cadillac a unique market position: for the same money as the Germans, I can get a bigger, nicer Cadillac that can outrun them. I think that approach would be uniquely American, as well. Hopefully, this is what they have planned, but of course, I guess we'll know by 2025...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheNewStandard For This Useful Post:

2b2 (11-20-2015),AMERICA 123 (11-20-2015),Dr.Show-Me (11-20-2015),megeebee (11-22-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,897 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Re: Why Cadillac Doesn't Need a Sub-ATS

rather them limit tweeners to CUVs

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 3,256 Posts

Honestly, I'd rather Cadillac kept improving the ATS and successor, rather than simply moving on to a "sub-ATS".
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

TheNewStandard (11-20-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

That I is similar to what I have been advocating. Cadillacs have been known for big engines, spacious interiors and bold design. NOT the smallest interior in a class of cars.
    Using what people already believe of Cadillacs, Cadillac should create vehicles that are the most spacious in their class, much like the cts WAS. Priced like a 3/C, but with the size of a E/5.
    While some may contend that it's wrong to do that, and instead should follow the German lead, Cadillac should set the standard of space and comfort for each class of cars. Not a "tweener," but rather the segment "leader!"
    Pricing should follow Cadillacs image and status, meaning that it should START lower, but with options equal or exceed the competitions' pricing. When "bigger, better" also includes "more desirable," then pricing can follow.
    "Additional Dealer Profit," adp, works when the demand exceeds supply and the car is highly desirable. Cadillac isn't there yet. Only when dealers are getting over sticker should Cadillac advance their pricing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Not a popular view ......

This is where Buick ( that's right - Buick ) can be a unique advantage - for Cadillac / Cadillac positioning.

Put it this way.

If Cadillac can match or beat ( all around ) a high quality composite of Audi + BMW + MB sans what ever passes @ the moment for their bottom feeder product - while Buick picks it up - that's a good looking win for the General.

____

Some of this is worse than silly anyway .... given all the actual builds and ATPs involved - for all product in this discussion.

However, also worth noting, the longterm trend is most definitely going to be about pushing the lower limits 'lower' ( for all btw ) so it's as much about timing in a fully fluid - and dynamic situation.

For many, that will be accompanied by pushing many upper limits - higher.

All about the taffy and the obliteration oops, I mean changes in the Middle / ( real ) Middle Class.

______

As far as how to play / position the dynamic duo of a strong Buick / Cadillac team effort including delineation.... you gotta' recognize that while those two are in fact moving up, the market space is moving to thinner - and wider ie lower and higher.

Case in point : Verano.

Remember all the negative critiquing about the very idea of a baby Buick like that ?

And yet.... and this is regardless of the ins and outs of how GM managed it ..... exactly right sized and priced etc for what actually happened in the market place .

And then the Encore - which even here looked off ...... and yet today seems to be a highly successful point where A - B - M will end up at - as fast as they can get there.

Rather have the above plus the best Certified Pre Owned Program in the biz for Cadillac...... or at least one that works well handling the less affluent Premium aspirations.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 11-20-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AMERICA 123 For This Useful Post:

megeebee (11-21-2015)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

If the next gen Buicks keep the reduced pricing there wont be a need for a fwd Caddy or sub ATS period. The next gen ATS can remain the same size just reduce the pricing slightly.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobaltss_King For This Useful Post:

TheNewStandard (11-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Along those lines ..... with at least some of the previous plus the right ATS..... all you really want is to selectively and carefully create the correct Leasing opportunities............... from time to time.

But then.... the wheel goes 'round again.... things change and yeah, they will want something 'less'.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Cadillac needs a big icon like the CT8... SOONER RATHER THAN LATER....since Cadillac is known of big iconic cars....there is no need for more small Cadillacs.....the CT6 is the best resalt of the return of a big RWD car....but its just a XTS replacement...and the CT6 doesn't really measure up to be a true icon because it lacks a V8 and true class.....the CT8 must do the job of the return of a big icon of the golden years.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,289 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I agree CADDY does NOT need a CLA clone EX with CADDY sticking with RWD AND the ATS's small interior a version smaller IMHO would be just TO SMALL + the ATS almost is there price wise
    I keep coming back to the ATS-L becoming the "normal" ATS and IF the SUB space is IMPORTANT maybe some sort of "CITY COUPE" some sort of "personal" car and the ATS is the COMPACT Family FRIENDLY one

how about a "BOLT" based take on the ULC from a few years ago but unlike the ELR DO NOT aim for the EXPENSIVE end but around the BOLT's price + a bit

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

CT3 I predict mostly holding the line on pricing and getting a bit bigger. CT2 I predict being well below $30,000... like closer to $25,000.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,857 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

If Cadillac was a "must have" brand they'd need a car that small for those prepared to pay just for the badge - Cadillac used to be that sort of brand but not now.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    If Cadillac was a "must have" brand they'd need a car that small for those prepared to pay just for the badge - Cadillac used to be that sort of brand but not now.
    My point is, with the price creep, a more stylized successor to the ATS can be that car as-is. They don't need to reach downmarket as the ATS is, from a price and size standpoint, downmarket enough. Just make it sexier: 4 door coupe/fastback/liftback/etc to make young people gotta have it.

2b2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2b2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewStandard View Post
    Now that we've seen the new 1-Series BMW, people will clamor saying that Cadillac needs a Cruze-based econobox to compete with it...

...Like I suggested in the thread about re-positioning future Cadillacs with the placement of the CT6 as an E-Class/5-Series competitor, Cadillac should make its cars slightly larger, and slightly more expensive than their class counterparts... ...but undercut their prices.

Maybe, Cadillac just needs a legion full of tweeners: priced like the class under, but sized like the class above...
    just-imho recent Cadillac hasn't learned to measure twice & cut once.
    I see them developing & re-developing (& re- re-) car/platform for the same segment over and over:
    esp 'midsize'
    And I don't see it right-sizing while offering the CTsix...

While I don't believe it's the best strategy to COPY a specific mfg, when it comes to the AVG size for a segment, imho there's a reason for it.

Also don't believe one can directly TARGET vehicles of a different size
    (cross-shopping is totally different = anything goes)

Re: the ATS
    imho it oughta be split into 2 sizes:
    - the current passenger compartment with reduced engine/engine compartment & trunk and
    - a stretched pass.compartment (see China) with the existing front&rear ends
    (had posted quickie chops somewhere/when)

'nother good thread, TNS, sorry I don't have the time for more.......
    re: EV styling
    "...like a bunch of 1960's Citroen designers would do given LSD and a room full of Pokemon....in a good sort of way"
    Hidden Content best fanboy def Ever
    " 4: Oh. My. God!!! My favorite shade of white!!!!! "

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    just-imho recent Cadillac hasn't learned to measure twice & cut once.
    I see them developing & re-developing (& re- re-) car/platform for the same segment over and over:
    esp 'midsize'
    Well put, actually.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information