What could we see in the next generation VíS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could we see in the next generation VíS

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

What could we see in the next generation VíS

All of the small info that has been put out from GM is that lead us to believe there will be SUVs wearing the V-Series badges for the first time. Especially with the VSport trim being dropped. Iíd go out on a limb and say we wonít see a V version of the XT5 or XT6. Iíd expect the XT4, XT7 and Slade wearing V badges. In a recent interview a engineer working on the CT5 lumped in the possibility of a V version and manual transmission together so of course having a manual in both the CT4 and CT5 would certainly separate themselves from the competition. With the CT5 being cheaper the next gen 6.2 would fit perfectly. The 3.0TT would work with beefed up internals for the XT4 and CT4.

BlackWing V8: CT6, Slade and XT7

New NA V8: CT5

3.0TT: XT4 and CT4
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillacís newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13í Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17í Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16í Cadillac ELR

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobaltss_King For This Useful Post:

rand49er (04-19-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rand49er's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What could we see in the next generation VíS

I'm salivating at the thought of a CT4-V with a 3.0TT. Did you say, "manual?"
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

GM should absolutely self flagellate if they think for even one moment that V Sport is not needed.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,018 Posts

A strictly NA v8 isnt going to cut it in the CT5. Regardless of how it's trying to be spun as a tweener in the first look articles, this thing will need to match the E63 and M5 which will require some sort of forced induction or performance hybrid
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    GM should absolutely self flagellate if they think for even one moment that V Sport is not needed.
    Why would GM want to fart on its self?

Thanks

On another site someone posted all of the different variants that were available prior to the new trim levels. It was way to much. You add that and the fact that most of the public couldn’t keep Vsport separate from v series. I can see why the change. It would be more concerning if they decided to keep Vsport over V series
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillacís newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    17í Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16í Cadillac ELR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    A strictly NA v8 isnt going to cut it in the CT5. Regardless of how it's trying to be spun as a tweener in the first look articles, this thing will need to match the E63 and M5 which will require some sort of forced induction or performance hybrid

I don’t think the CTS-V needs a direct replacement with something 700hp. Going back to something that can handle a lot better with more useable power is better than a drag racing queen. Especially with it at a lower price point. The CT6-V should get more performance attention payed to it since it was originally designed to be a Vsport.
    17í Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16í Cadillac ELR

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobaltss_King For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (04-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,209 Posts

I question any SUV/CUV getting a V, if you're referring to the story about how every model gets a sport trim, we've already seen what that is, that didn't mean V.

As far as CT5V, you can only really expect one of the Blackwing V8's I would imagine.

CT4V could drop to the 3.0TT possibly if it's as small as I think it will be.
    Last edited by JimmyDiablo; 04-19-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    I question any SUV/CUV getting a V, if you're referring to the story about how every model gets a sport trim, we've already seen what that is, that didn't mean V.

As far as CT5V, you can only really expect one of the Blackwing V8's I would imagine.

The V series now embodies everything sport and with early photos showing Vsport badges on the XT4 concepts it’s not that far fetched. Along with the fact that they simply swapped out the Vsport batches for v series badges on the CT6. I’d bet everything that was slated to get Vsport treatments could be inline for V series badges.
    Last edited by Cobaltss_King; 04-19-2019 at 07:25 PM.
    17í Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16í Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Some of you quite simply aren't understanding the purpose of V Sport. The CT6-V happened to be a car that wasn't utterly divergent from V level performance in its class. In that class 550-600 hp is the minimum point of entry, and the 627 lb along with the lightweight mixed material platform will provide parity.

You can not diminish nor dilute V series with V Sport level performance. From AMG Sport to M Sport to Audi's S line V Sport is absolutely crucial.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to germeezy1 For This Useful Post:

sfbreh (04-21-2019)

Thanks

Some of you quite simply aren't understanding the purpose of V Sport. The CT6-V happened to be a car that wasn't utterly divergent from V level performance in its class. In that class 550-600 hp is the minimum point of entry, and the 627 lb along with the lightweight mixed material platform will provide parity.

You can not diminish nor dilute V series with V Sport level performance. From AMG Sport to M Sport to Audi's S line V Sport is absolutely crucial.
    The decision has already been made. I live in the what can we see next than the why why why. It does nothing for me. Of course the perfect situation would have the Vsport still live on. Most understand the purpose but we already know cost cutting is going on. We will see EV performance models at the higher price tag since EVs have to command the higher price tag for manufacturers. Ice models are being simplified to save money.
    17í Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16í Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    The decision has already been made. I live in the what can we see next than the why why why. It does nothing for me. Of course the perfect situation would have the Vsport still live on. Most understand the purpose but we already know cost cutting is going on. We will see EV performance models at the higher price tag since EVs have to command the higher price tag for manufacturers. Ice models are being simplified to save money.
    I understand the finality of the decision, and I am simply ranting about the utter stupidity that created such a reality. They have literally left the whole brand exposed to a pricing , and trim structure that all the major players are utilizing.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I think the CT6V reviews will prove to be the most telling of the strategy going forward. Cadillac's first foray into the world of high horsepower and torque aligned with AWD outside of the XTS- VSport model. So my thought is that a CT5-V with less weight than the current CTS-V, same power, or slightly less, utilizing the 10 Speed and AWD will ultimately provide the owner/driver with a faster, more complete car. That is high praise considering how excellent the CTS-V already is.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,373 Posts

I don’t think the CTS-V needs a direct replacement with something 700hp. Going back to something that can handle a lot better with more useable power is better than a drag racing queen. Especially with it at a lower price point. The CT6-V should get more performance attention payed to it since it was originally designed to be a Vsport.
    Agree, don't think most realize how fast a NA 6.2L in a CT5 would be, especially in real world driving where engines used in the E63 and M5 really show a performance edge at speeds well over 100 MPH (not a good speed to be driving on public roads).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (04-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

All of the small info that has been put out from GM is that lead us to believe there will be SUVs wearing the V-Series badges for the first time. Especially with the VSport trim being dropped. I’d go out on a limb and say we won’t see a V version of the XT5 or XT6. I’d expect the XT4, XT7 and Slade wearing V badges. In a recent interview a engineer working on the CT5 lumped in the possibility of a V version and manual transmission together so of course having a manual in both the CT4 and CT5 would certainly separate themselves from the competition. With the CT5 being cheaper the next gen 6.2 would fit perfectly. The 3.0TT would work with beefed up internals for the XT4 and CT4.

BlackWing V8: CT6, Slade and XT7

New NA V8: CT5

3.0TT: XT4 and CT4
    XT4 will not get a V, and neither will XT6.

CT5 will most likely just use the Blackwing, and expect little more to come from Cadillac. Biggest semi-surprise is some kind of e-AWD, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

CT6 probably won't get a V after their "limited run," unless it's still in production for next model year or something? Talk about a disaster.

Escalade will prob get the same motor, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it or a V.

I have serious doubts that CT4 will get a V, too.

The elimination of CT6 Vsport for CT6 V was one of the biggest tells that Cadillac is doomed without JdN.

It's a subtle difference, but a very important one to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post

Make no mistake, CT4 is JUST an ATS rehash.

I have little doubt that the program was such a financial disaster that they did as much as possible to do as little as possible to the new cars because of the pure hell that Alpha's financials have been for the last so many years.

I believe the only reason we got a CT5 so changed from CTS was because it will be doing double/triple duty replacing ATS-L, CTS, and part of the XTS constituency—and thus actually expected to make some kind of money.

CT4, I expect very little from. Even with China, maybe 25k-30k.

The V series now embodies everything sport and with early photos showing Vsport badges on the XT4 concepts it’s not that far fetched. Along with the fact that they simply swapped out the Vsport batches for v series badges on the CT6. I’d bet everything that was slated to get Vsport treatments could be inline for V series badges.
    There may have been a sketch with a Vsport badge, but I recall another JdN interview stating they had no plan for a HO motor for XT4.

Right. For a car of its size and rough "class," whether Cadillac admits it or not, a V would have had to have been more powerful. A Vsport of the level debuted in CT6 as a BASE establishes some level of real credibility with Cadillac as something more than just a player—with the tease that a V-series will offer so much more.

The next hump is some kind of 800hp, straight ICE (behind the curve, but still a player) or partially electric (between par and ahead of the curve). That's what a CT6-V needed to be.

I understand the finality of the decision, and I am simply ranting about the utter stupidity that created such a reality. They have literally left the whole brand exposed to a pricing , and trim structure that all the major players are utilizing.
    And most importantly, a prestige and image factor to justify future pricing.

Expect no "performance attention" paid to CT6-V because it was never intended to be a V and thus never will be. It's not something you can bolt on.

CTS-V needs a direct replacement with a bare minimum of 700hp and ideally an electric secondary powertrain or booster or whatever you call it to bring it closer to 800, and it needs AWD—make it togglable like the M5 and add a drift mode to turn it off in certain situations or whatever, but it needs AWD.

If you want usable power, that's what Vsport is for.

I agree with you, not every product needs to be the pinnacle of performance—but you need to play the game.

The E does this well. ~6s 0-60 300, ~5s 0-60 450, ~4.5s 0-60 43, and ~3s 0-60 63. What you're talking about is a 43, and it's the approachably powerful performance gap that Cadillac is missing almost cross the board.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (04-24-2019)

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information