Swapping Buick Century Custom 3.1 for Supercharged 3.8?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Swapping Buick Century Custom 3.1 for Supercharged 3.8?

Walking
    Thanks

Swapping Buick Century Custom 3.1 for Supercharged 3.8?

Was pondering a swap for a supercharged 3.8 into my 96 Buick Century when I retire it from daily driver status. Was wondering if I could get some advice on what to look for. What series 3.8 to use for simplest transfer, and what all I'd need to change/ get from the donor vehicle. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,276 Times in 4,445 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Swapping Buick Century Custom 3.1 for Supercharged 3.8?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldr333 View Post
    Was pondering a swap for a supercharged 3.8 into my 96 Buick Century when I retire it from daily driver status. Was wondering if I could get some advice on what to look for. What series 3.8 to use for simplest transfer, and what all I'd need to change/ get from the donor vehicle. Thanks in advance!
    I've given that swap a good deal of thought. A far easier solution, and perhaps no more costly, would be to find a clean GS and swap the trim. I always thought a sleeper Century with the SC mill would be the cat's meow. But trim swaps are far simpler than engine/trannie swaps.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks
    That's definitely true. Maybe I'll go that route then. I'll have to see down the line what I'm willing to do and how it pans out. I have access to a mechanic garage and all that entails though through family as well, so maybe the extra effort would be a good learning experience too. The century is in beautiful condition and low mileage to boot, so I was hoping to pick up a new daily driver in the near future and keep it nice and minty for whatever I choose to do with it down the line

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,298 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: Swapping Buick Century Custom 3.1 for Supercharged 3.8?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldr333 View Post
    the 3.1L and 3.8L are totally different engines and you would need pretty much everything under the hood
    if the car you have is nice and/or sentimental I would recommend buying a WHOLE DONOR car as close to model and year as you can find
    also 96 is the switch over year for OBD II engine management and you WILL want to make sure the donor as also the same - I assume yours IS OBD II so the donor would have to be 96 or newer

these sort of projects are WAY easier AND cheaper in the end if you get the whole car as otherwise you get "nickel and dimed" buying the SMALL parts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (09-20-2017)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information