Should GM bring beautiful Buick minivan to U-S? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should GM bring beautiful Buick minivan to U-S?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Re: Should GM bring beautiful Buick minivan to U-S?

My brother was a life long GM buyer until his last purchase.
    Pacifica mini van and his family loves it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lowboy For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (05-19-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buickfan262 View Post
    Why let Honda, Chrysler, Kia, and Toyota control the minivan market? This could sell really well here https://jalopnik.com/this-buick-mini...ior-1834510841
    Needs a name though: I think a heritage name could work, maybe Century?
    GM really needs to get back into the Minivan Market since it will grow in the coming years as millions of Millennials become "Mom and Dad" and SUV's are too small and restrictive and are what their "Mom and Dad" drove.

Problem is they don't have the platform and will need to create a new one that can be used for the Malibu, Minivans and Crossovers like Honda and Toyota do in order to reduce/spread costs.

Van would have to be made here and GM can improve it's Bad Name by building it in the U.S.A.

Century might work, or Buick might use Rendezvous or Rainier since Terraza was not exactly a big seller.

With that all said, don't see GM offering a Minivan here.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,251 Times in 3,943 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    GM really needs to get back into the Minivan Market since it will grow in the coming years as millions of Millennials become "Mom and Dad" and SUV's are too small and restrictive and are what their "Mom and Dad" drove.

Problem is they don't have the platform and will need to create a new one that can be used for the Malibu, Minivans and Crossovers like Honda and Toyota do in order to reduce/spread costs.

Van would have to be made here and GM can improve it's Bad Name by building it in the U.S.A.

Century might work, or Buick might use Rendezvous or Rainier since Terraza was not exactly a big seller.

With that all said, don't see GM offering a Minivan here.
    Sales are somewhat about practicality--it depends a lot on the buyer's wiring--but IMO what sells is far more about what's trendy, cool, and will be approved by one's peer group and superiors.

Three-letter word: T-E-S-L-A.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHPvfAt5ow
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 05-19-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Sales are somewhat about practicality--it depends a lot on the buyer's wiring--but IMO far more about what's trendy, cool, and will be approved by one's peer group and superiors. Three-letter word: T-E-S-L-A.
    That is why I think Minivans will make a comeback, it is NOT what Millennial's "Mom and Dad" drove, has more functionality, more "cost efficient" and "Environmentally Friendly" (Hybrid Minivan is the Ultimate "Green Machine" on a passenger/cargo per energy use basis). When everyone "knows" that only SUV's sell and they have become "Generic Transportation" buyers will find something else and Millennials are very cost and environmentally conscious.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-19-2019),Neanderthal (05-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,860 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

That is why I think Minivans will make a comeback, it is NOT what Millennial's "Mom and Dad" drove, has more functionality, more "cost efficient" and "Environmentally Friendly" (Hybrid Minivan is the Ultimate "Green Machine" on a passenger/cargo per energy use basis). When everyone "knows" that only SUV's sell and they have become "Generic Transportation" buyers will find something else and Millennials are very cost and environmentally conscious.
    Even though they've been here before, if and when they become "The Next Big Thing" GM needs to be a step ahead and not playing catch up like what goes on a lot of the time. Development costs and all too or bringing product in from elsewhere but also viable here considering the current mindset at GM is all about Electrics which may or may not be the "Next Big Thing" and really taking hold. I see a bewildered group at GM heading things now and at times really fear for the future of GM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (05-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Even though they've been here before, if and when they become "The Next Big Thing" GM needs to be a step ahead and not playing catch up like what goes on a lot of the time. Development costs and all too or bringing product in from elsewhere but also viable here considering the current mindset at GM is all about Electrics which may or may not be the "Next Big Thing" and really taking hold. I see a bewildered group at GM heading things now and at times really fear for the future of GM.
    Very true, think "Dazed and Confused" would describe GM's management today, they have bet GM's future on metrics that the vast majority of buyers hate (EV's and AV's) and neither are proven to be viable and have 100's of potential "fatal flaws" in them. Of course being clueless is not new to GM's management who foolishly dropped Zeta to spend billions on Alpha AND Omega (worst decision I have ever seen), thought there actually was a market for high performance Large Luxury Sedans (there isn't one, nor will there ever be one) and think buyers want SUV's that look like sports cars that compromise utility, not to mention the countless other mis-steps and extremely poor judgement exhibited in feature/pricing on every single GM product.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-19-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,251 Times in 3,943 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Your premise requires a degree of rational thought, which would be A Good Thing as PDL might say. Cool trumps--pardon the expression--rationality. Utes are cool, vans are mommymobiles. Come up with a new groovie nickname for minivans--say Millennial Catapults, or Millennial Starships, Intellitransport--and they have a chance. But I think the psyop is as important as the product.

If I had a four or five car budget and matching garage space, I'd certainly have a minivan in my fleet.

Expecting or even hoping GM to lead or even participate in this charge is, as the Borg informed Captain Picard, futile.
    Their van efforts were half assed, half baked, and it was clear their heart was not in it, or they'd have set styling loose on the vans instead of the Maytag repairman.

But there's always hope. Hope and change.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 05-20-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information