Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

  1. #1
    4gm
    4gm is offline
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    337
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 179 Times in 91 Posts

    Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    I think turning the Avista into the next generation ATS, in coupe and sedan form, is the best thing GM could do. It would put into production a concept that received an overwhelmingly positive public response and would give Cadillac a sorely needed car that turns heads and a new design language. As much as I loved the original CTS, none of the subsequent attempts of imposing the A&S design theme on other Caddies have been as successfully executed. The public hasn't responded well either. It's also dated now, IMO. Using the Avista and its design language for Cadillac's lineup would breathe new life into the brand.

    Which brings us to Buick. Buick should be sharing cars and a design language with Opel. With things going well for Opel now there's no need for the brand to change design themes. That's not the case with Cadillac. The Avista wouldn't fit in with the rest of Buick's and Opel's lineup and I fear GM would let it wither on the vine if it weren't seen as a core Buick product. Buick also doesn't need a car like the Avista. Cadillac does and already has a similar car with the ATS. It just needs a makeover.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    989
    Thanks
    376
    Thanked 334 Times in 220 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Buick Regal 2.4

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    "One face palm while shaking my head"

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnls_39 For This Useful Post:

    Dequindre (06-03-2016),dslay04 (06-03-2016),megeebee (06-03-2016)

  5. #3
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Live001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    875
    Thanks
    656
    Thanked 236 Times in 121 Posts
    My Ride
    2006 Chevrolet Impala LT

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    Avista is hot but it's a pretty generic design. It could be a Jaguar, Telsa etc....

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Live001 For This Useful Post:

    aldw (06-04-2016),Dequindre (06-03-2016),SP1966 (06-03-2016),Z284ever (06-04-2016)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  8. #4
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    8,478
    Thanks
    3,819
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,897 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4gm View Post
    I think turning the Avista into the next generation ATS, in coupe and sedan form, is the best thing GM could do. It would put into production a concept that received an overwhelmingly positive public response and would give Cadillac a sorely needed car that turns heads and a new design language. As much as I loved the original CTS, none of the subsequent attempts of imposing the A&S design theme on other Caddies have been as successfully executed. The public hasn't responded well either. It's also dated now, IMO. Using the Avista and its design language for Cadillac's lineup would breathe new life into the brand.

    Which brings us to Buick. Buick should be sharing cars and a design language with Opel. With things going well for Opel now there's no need for the brand to change design themes. That's not the case with Cadillac. The Avista wouldn't fit in with the rest of Buick's and Opel's lineup and I fear GM would let it wither on the vine if it weren't seen as a core Buick product. Buick also doesn't need a car like the Avista. Cadillac does and already has a similar car with the ATS. It just needs a makeover.
    Let the Avista stay a Buick. Next generation of Cadillac's styling will debut with the next year or 2 with the CT2, CT3, and XT3

  9. #5
    News Editor Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,602
    Thanks
    1,179
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    Like robbing Peter to pay Paul!
    GMI News Editor

  10. #6
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Ed753's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,002
    Thanks
    12,451
    Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,863 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    Let the Avista stay a Buick. Next generation of Cadillac's styling will debut with the next year or 2 with the CT2, CT3, and XT3
    Are you saying they'll look dramatically different than the new XT5, CT6 or CTS?

    Hint; don't hold breath.........


    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

    Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

  11. #7
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    8,478
    Thanks
    3,819
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,897 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    Are you saying they'll look dramatically different than the new XT5, CT6 or CTS?

    Hint; don't hold breath.........


    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    I think it'll favor the XT5 and CT6 but a further departure from the AtS and CTS.

    Honestly, I dont think exterior styling has been that big of a problem, packaging and some interior styling has been a bigger issues for the sedans.

    As a side note, I find it funny that people murdered the CTS saying it had too many different types of materials and then they praise the new A5.

  12. #8
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid sfbreh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    19,258
    Thanks
    7,624
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    Like robbing Peter to pay Paul!
    As long as Paul gets his guap ON TIME and WITH INTEREST.

    Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    I think it'll favor the XT5 and CT6 but a further departure from the AtS and CTS.

    Honestly, I dont think exterior styling has been that big of a problem, packaging and some interior styling has been a bigger issues for the sedans.

    As a side note, I find it funny that people murdered the CTS saying it had too many different types of materials and then they praise the new A5.
    As a pretty big Audi fan, anyone who praises the new A5 is a tasteless retard. If you're talking about the interior, it's not bad, but that big swath of suede was phoned in.

  13. #9
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    14,368
    Thanks
    6,045
    Thanked 8,486 Times in 4,204 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    No, the Avista looks like what a Buick should look like. Cadillac's future styling lies elsewhere.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    dslay04 (06-03-2016),paul8488 (06-04-2016)

  15. #10
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    8,478
    Thanks
    3,819
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,897 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    As long as Paul gets his guap ON TIME and WITH INTEREST.



    As a pretty big Audi fan, anyone who praises the new A5 is a tasteless retard. If you're talking about the interior, it's not bad, but that big swath of suede was phoned in.
    Exactly. Looks like someone said pencils down and they just wrote suede

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

    sfbreh (06-04-2016)

  17. #11
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    14,368
    Thanks
    6,045
    Thanked 8,486 Times in 4,204 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    Or another way of saying it, what should Buicks look like if Cadillac takes their styling?

  18. #12
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Posts
    23,621
    Thanks
    4,145
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    No way, as everyone else has said. Cadillac has no problem designing a gorgeous coupe, they have several collecting dust in their studios. I love Avista, but as a Buick. The next ATS (or whatever replaces it) just needs an expressive coupe inspired by Ciel or Cien or Elmiraj.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

    Hidden Content

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paul8488 For This Useful Post:

    aldw (06-04-2016),BlackGTP (06-04-2016)

  20. #13
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 DirtyMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    2,439
    Thanks
    473
    Thanked 234 Times in 138 Posts
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    I was thinking more on the side of the Camaro. The chassis and motor are great as well as the interior, but the exterior could have been better.
    6 speed transmissions are the future

  21. #14
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    14,368
    Thanks
    6,045
    Thanked 8,486 Times in 4,204 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoney View Post
    I was thinking more on the side of the Camaro. The chassis and motor are great as well as the interior, but the exterior could have been better.
    I think the Avista styling is totally wrong for the Camaro. The Avista is a mature, elegant vehicle - exactly what a Buick should be and it isn't pony car styling (youthful and brash).

    I think we all agree on one thing, the Avista is beautiful and deserves to see the light of day as a production vehicle.

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    DirtyMoney (06-04-2016),jzchev28 (06-04-2016),paul8488 (06-04-2016)

  23. #15
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St. George, Ut.
    Posts
    9,663
    Thanks
    12,108
    Thanked 3,443 Times in 2,231 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

    Re: Should Cadillac steal the Avista and its design language?

    I say no. Avista should stay with Buick. Cadillac needs to continue to develop and refine their design language but not steal from Buick.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

    Cobaltss_King (06-04-2016)

  25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2