Sat in an XT4 the Other Day...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sat in an XT4 the Other Day...

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,541 Times in 3,772 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Sat in an XT4 the Other Day...

And I'm pleased to say, it isn't bad.

Switchgear is relatively nice, save for the cheap plastic paddle shifters that they're using instead of the real magnesium ones they used in ATS/CTS. Leather on the doors and dash are of very high quality, and the hard plastic on the lower dash and doors are textured nicely and don't feel like rubbermaid quality plastic like CT6 and XT5 use. The overall quality of the dash is better than its XT5 sibling as well, in that the XT5's interior feels like if you push hard enough, you can break the entire dash and rip it in two. XT4 is better in that regard.

There are some cons, with the paddle shifters being one of them, but my biggest issue is with the fit and finish of the dash itself. It's like Cadillac just can't get it right, despite being called out for it on nearly every car.

Look at this:

"Hand-stitched", huh? Were they drunk?

Outside of those two issues, XT4's interior as a whole is a much, much, much better effort than the CT6 and XT5, that's for sure. There's room for improvement, sure, but as it sits now the interior is not what's holding it back right now. I'd actually say it's a selling point.
    Last edited by Envoy4Life; 11-07-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (11-08-2018),BlackGTP (11-07-2018),CJH (11-07-2018),Dovetonsils (11-07-2018),dslay04 (11-07-2018),johnstarnes (11-07-2018),mbukukanyau (11-07-2018),rodd62 (11-08-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,897 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Re: Sat in an XT4 the Other Day...

Could be an early tooling/QC issue that they can resolve. I'm equally disappointed in the paddle shifters, but that's a cost reduction brand wide. CT4 & CT5 aren't supposed to have them either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (11-08-2018)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,541 Times in 3,772 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    Could be an early tooling/QC issue that they can resolve. I'm equally disappointed in the paddle shifters, but that's a cost reduction brand wide. CT4 & CT5 aren't supposed to have them either.
    Let's hope so. It's been an issue for years now, so hopefully they get that sorted out with future cars.

I forgot to mention that the new steering wheel is really, really good. I'm a big fan of it. Feels great in your hands and the buttons feel great too. Definitely another improvement. But yeah, the paddle shifter change sucks. I wish they'd bring the real metal back on future cars, especially the sport sedans like CT4/CT5.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (11-08-2018),mbukukanyau (11-07-2018)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,845 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    There are some cons, with the paddle shifters being one of them.[.
    No one will ever touch them.
    What about something important, such as "Is there a good place to put the purse?"
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (11-07-2018),Neanderthal (11-07-2018),rand49er (11-08-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTSV

The lesson is that don't include any visible component in a luxury car unless it is done right. It's cheapness will be glaring.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumpole For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (11-08-2018)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,422 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Let's hope so. It's been an issue for years now, so hopefully they get that sorted out with future cars.

I forgot to mention that the new steering wheel is really, really good. I'm a big fan of it. Feels great in your hands and the buttons feel great too. Definitely another improvement. But yeah, the paddle shifter change sucks. I wish they'd bring the real metal back on future cars, especially the sport sedans like CT4/CT5.
    The worst part is that it probably does not cost a significant amount to make metal ones, but costs them a lot in brand perception.. Poor decisions..

Then there is all the half white women who drive them in commercials

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

A leather cover on the steering wheel hub would make up for many less visible sins, IMO.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I sat in one recently too. Overall the interior is not bad but I can't get past the row of buttons to control everything. The rest of the interior is clean and un-cluttered but then they put all those identical buttons in a line. Not only does it look cheap but it will also be difficult to find the button you want without taking your eyes off the road.

Unfortunately it seems Cadillac interior design is going this way for the foreseeable future (look at the spy shots of the CT5) ...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

Not sure why they can't make them metal on upper trims...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 91fairladyZ For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (11-08-2018)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 565 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

XT4 is a fabulous product and I am seriously considering one as my next car.
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,422 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by sklunk View Post
    I sat in one recently too. Overall the interior is not bad but I can't get past the row of buttons to control everything. The rest of the interior is clean and un-cluttered but then they put all those identical buttons in a line. Not only does it look cheap but it will also be difficult to find the button you want without taking your eyes off the road.

Unfortunately it seems Cadillac interior design is going this way for the foreseeable future (look at the spy shots of the CT5) ...
    Like most modern cars, it’s likely a lot of controls have counterparts on the steering wheel or elsewhere. If eyesite is good, you should be able to find the controls easily by glancing after a few days

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

It is funny to me that many complained when Cadillac (and others) got rid of all the buttons/knobs and switched to touch screens. Now they are complaining they went back to some buttons. Personally, I like some buttons as muscle memory starts to play and you don't even have to look. I've never achieved muscle memory on a touch screen.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (11-08-2018)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,180 Times in 4,403 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    No one will ever touch them.
    What about something important, such as "Is there a good place to put the purse?"
    Good point. Practical use is something I find important. More stash spots are always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The worst part is that it probably does not cost a significant amount to make metal ones, but costs them a lot in brand perception.. Poor decisions..

Then there is all the half white women who drive them in commercials
    How much can a couple of Chinese pot metal flappers cost? Rilly?

Quote Originally Posted by sklunk View Post
    I sat in one recently too. Overall the interior is not bad but I can't get past the row of buttons to control everything. The rest of the interior is clean and un-cluttered but then they put all those 5 identical buttons in a line. Not only does it look cheap but it will also be difficult to find the button you want without taking your eyes off the road.

To quote: Those five identical buttons to the right of the warmer/cooler button need a good explanation

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    XT4 is a fabulous product and I am seriously considering one as my next car.
    Did you write up your test drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    It is funny to me that many complained when Cadillac (and others) got rid of all the buttons/knobs and switched to touch screens. Now they are complaining they went back to some buttons. Personally, I like some buttons as muscle memory starts to play and you don't even have to look. I've never achieved muscle memory on a touch screen.
    Ha!

I prefer the actual physical buttons and dials myself. Touch screen IMO creates more distraction. Those five identical buttons to the right of the warmer/cooler button need a good explanation, otherwise they're a brain-dead design flaw.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 11-07-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (11-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 514 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Good point. Practical use is something I find important. More stash spots are always welcome.

How much can a couple of Chinese pot metal flappers cost? Rilly?

To quote: Those five identical buttons to the right of the warmer/cooler button need a good explanation

Did you write up your test drive?

Ha!

I prefer the actual physical buttons and dials myself. Touch screen IMO creates more distraction. Those five identical buttons to the right of the warmer/cooler button need a good explanation, otherwise they're a brain-dead design flaw.
    Mercedes has used this "controls in a line" setup for years on the S-class and nobody has complained:

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

dannyg (11-08-2018),Fun (11-24-2018),sonjaab (11-10-2018),Vagon11 (11-08-2018)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,180 Times in 4,403 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
    Mercedes has used this "controls in a line" setup for years on the S-class and nobody has complained:

Photo did not show the micro-labels above the buttons.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information