October Consumer Reports Tests Regal

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October Consumer Reports Tests Regal

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

October Consumer Reports Tests Regal

I just got my October CR hardcopy. I can't link to the online article because that is an extra charge site.

First, CR tested the V6 version of the Mustange vs the V6 version of the Camaro. Both manual. The V6 Mustang won handily. In a previous issue, the V8 Mustang shellacked the V8 Camaro, I'm sure that has already been discussed.

But the Regal review is new. Curiously, they framed it as Regal vx Lacrosse CX, both with the 2.4L. The Regal was ranked behind the Acura TSX, Lexus HS, VW CC, and Suzuki Kiazashi, but ahead of the Lincoln MKZ in the Compact Family Sedans category. The Lexus and MKZ were, of course, 10K more than the others and are not really in the same category. The other cars were comparably priced, although the CC was somewhat more.

I was pleased to see CR liked the driving dynamics of the Regal and the interior quality. They said the Regal has a taut, well-controlled ride and handles like a ports sedan. They said it is impressively quiet on the highway. This contrasts with the LA Times ridiculous review which panned the Regal on ride and interior quality.

CR said the 182 hp engine was adequate but not outstanding. They got 15/37 mpg.
    Barry
    '04 Nocturne Blue Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1997 Catera (11/96 - 6/13)
    '13 Black Diamond / Black Regal T

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: October Consumer Reports Tests Regal

Of course they ranked it behind the HS. OF COURSE. It makes perfect sense!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dovetonsils View Post
    CR said the 182 hp engine was adequate but not outstanding. They got 15/37 mpg.
    Hmm... is that correct?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a win for the Camaro. Always take the opposite of CR when it comes to sporting vehicles.

I haven't sampled the Regal yet, but it would take a lot to overcome CR Honda/Acura bias.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Ouch. Not good for either the Camaro or the Buick. The Camaro can fend for itself though- I'm sure GM won't let those stats go unchecked. The Buick is fresh out of the gates however and does not need mediocre reviews. It will sell well to the older folks, but Buick needs to attract younger drivers too.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
    Ouch. Not good for either the Camaro or the Buick. The Camaro can fend for itself though- I'm sure GM won't let those stats go unchecked. The Buick is fresh out of the gates however and does not need mediocre reviews. It will sell well to the older folks, but Buick needs to attract younger drivers too.
    I just saw a Regal 5 minutes ago on my street being driven by a woman in her 30s.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I just saw a Regal 5 minutes ago on my street being driven by a woman in her 30s.
    CR is on its way to irrelevancy. Slowly, yes - but trending. Gen X doesn't read it and uses a completely different method - the internet, and CR isn't free like everything else.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    CR is on its way to irrelevancy. Slowly, yes - but trending. Gen X doesn't read it and uses a completely different method - the internet, and CR isn't free like everything else.
    Agreed. Before, when people actually read magazines and such for information, CR had a ton of influence. Now, there are hundreds of car reviews on the internet.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

I agree with you all. CR is on the road to irrelevance and the HS was ranked above the Regal, which also lost to the Kizashi? What a crock.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

I read CR but haven't seen this issue yet... I assume it'll be by in the next couple days.

I'm interested to see what they have to think about the Regal. I've yet to be in a moving one myself; seems they sell faster than they can stock them out here.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

So what did they like so much more about the HS/CC/TSX/Kisashi than the Regal?

I'd never buy the HS, TSX, or CC based on the exterior aesthetics alone (or lack of them.) The Kisashi is interesting but I have no faith in Suzuki being in the US much longer and I'm not interested in either a 6 speed or CVT.

An I4 with 15mpg city is pretty painful for sure.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,394 Times in 2,496 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Hell, I can get 15 MPG in my Terrain if I drive it crazy too. Probably less.

I never, ever put stock in these MPG ratings by magazines. They are always wrong.

CR is done in 5 years unless they change stuff up. Its pointless to anyone under 35ish and their "magazines" are painful to read.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

As one of four brands that survived GM’s bankruptcy last year, Buick is now undergoing its own metamorphosis. Long identified with large, cushy, but humdrum and ungainly cars, Buick is fighting to modernize its image in an era when drivers are looking for more responsive cars and better fuel economy. Two examples of that are the new Regal and redesigned LaCrosse sedans (both available to subscribers). Both are based on the same platform, share the same four-cylinder engine, and retail for $28,000 to $29,000. But they have distinctly different driving characters.

The Regal is a European import with the type of agile handling, taut suspension, and solid feel that reminds us more of an Acura TSX or Audi A4 than, say, a Roadmaster. It’s essentially a rebadged Opel Insignia, from GM’s German subsidiary, that was intended to be the new Saturn Aura. When Saturn was discontinued, Buick adopted the car, resurrected a name that had been retired in 2004, and is using the Regal to test the waters in a category where no Buick has gone before.

The LaCrosse is a larger but thoroughly modern cruiser with the roomy, quiet interior; comfortable ride; and low-effort steering that has appealed more to traditional Buick drivers. Earlier this year, we tested a 2010 LaCrosse CXS with a V6 engine (see the January 2010 issue, available to subscribers). For this issue, we tested the less expensive four-cylinder CX model, which delivers 3 mpg better fuel economy but is notably slower and less quiet.

Because of the cars’ different personalities, we’ve listed them in Ratings categories that best reflect their direct competitors (see Ratings, available to subscribers). Although both cars achieved very good overall test scores, they still fall short of the best in these highly competitive classes. And both models are too new for us to have reliability data, so neither is recommended.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

It says CR got 23 mpg with Regal and LaCrosse.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

IMHO it's the CC that's the stiffest competition for the Regal as far as the product itself, not necessarily sales.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information