I brought my 2014 CTS to the dealer this morning so they could address a couple of things that didn't get fixed the last time. To my pleasant surprise, they gave me a CT6 loaner. It's a 2.0T with about 860 miles on it. I think it's a base model. I told the service manager to keep my car as long as he needed -- haha! I just wish I didn't have to go to work later, so I could really give it a thorough review.
Observations from my drive home from the dealership with an errand in between:
- I love the ride. It seems to ride smoother than my CTS. It's less sporty but not in a floaty way. I really like it.
- The auto start/stop is far less annoying than it was in my experience in a previous gen Malibu. That said, the car still shakes a bit when it fires back up. I ended up disabling the start/stop. Based on the amount of fingerprints on the disable button, others have had the same impressions.
- Acceleration is fine. I have the 2.0T in my CTS, and acceleration seemed pretty much the same. I guess the CT6 might be a little better, since it's supposedly lighter.
- I like the looks, especially the profile and the front. It's a classy car. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even realize I was getting a CT6 at first. I had approached the car from behind and thought it was an XTS. As I was driving it, absolutely no one gave this car a second look, which is a shame. I'm a big fan of the car's gray paint. It reminds me of the old "Thunder Gray."
I noticed the 2.0T only has tail pipes on one side.
- CUE is an improvement over my 2014 version. The screen is huge and it's not as laggy.
- The size of this car is most appreciated in the back seat. There's a ton of room back there, even with the driver's seat set for me. I'm comfortable in the back of my CTS as well, but this seems way bigger.
- Unfortunately, this car's downfall is the interior. The materials are just disappointing. I wish they weren't, but they are. Too many things are hard plastic and/or feel cheap. I know this has been discussed a lot here on GMI, but the hard plastic on the door panels and center console are bad. The carpet is thin. The armrest is flimsy and creaks with an unfortunate plastic-on-plastic sound when I put my arm on it. The steering wheel, however, is nice and thick -- I like it.
A few things I've noticed after having the car for a day:
- The aforementioned center console armrest still squeaks, but there's something cool about it -- it can open both towards the driver and towards the passenger. I don't think I'd ever seen that before.
- I used the Apple CarPlay. I love it. I wish there was a software update for my 2014 CTS that would include CarPlay.
- This CT6 has heated seats but not ventilated seats. I was looking for them yesterday when it was 85 degrees, but they're not there. My CTS has them.
Enjoy the pics!