Inside the XTS, with Christine Parks. - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Inside the XTS, with Christine Parks.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Inside the XTS, with Christine Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Thanks!

If GM uses this engine I like their approach of putting it into a Caddy. I don't understand why Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, etc are putting all this high tech stuff into their lower end divisions where people complain about the high price. No one will complain about a $40,000 Cadillac VOLT. I guess to again answer my own question is it because they are trying to make the chassis so light they can't make the Volt good enough to be a Caddy? Such as the Lexus version of the Prius that doesn't seem to be good enough to wear the Lexus badge?
    What I like about the XTS is that it gives you fuel efficiency, AWD for better performance/traction during inclement weather, and a sweet TT V6 for the lead foot's. Honestly I don't know why they didn't make the Cadillac Converj. Thinking it over with the high price of the Volt and the limited availability it would have been a better fit for Cadillac at first. However I hope one day Cadillac makes an improved Converj. Something with electric motors in all wheels, something with more performance (Thinking of something that can take on Tesla's and Karma's), and possible with a battery that has more capacity. Just make the modes selectable. So say you want maximum range select it from the LCD screen and it will send power to two wheels instead of four. Then have a performance/bad weather mode that gives you power to all wheels with max performance.

It's a Cadillac so they can sell it for $80k and that would be fine.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dweller View Post
    What I like about the XTS is that it gives you fuel efficiency, AWD for better performance/traction during inclement weather, and a sweet TT V6 for the lead foot's. Honestly I don't know why they didn't make the Cadillac Converj. Thinking it over with the high price of the Volt and the limited availability it would have been a better fit for Cadillac at first. However I hope one day Cadillac makes an improved Converj. Something with electric motors in all wheels, something with more performance (Thinking of something that can take on Tesla's and Karma's), and possible with a battery that has more capacity. Just make the modes selectable. So say you want maximum range select it from the LCD screen and it will send power to two wheels instead of four. Then have a performance/bad weather mode that gives you power to all wheels with max performance.

Has Cadillac confirmed a twin-turbo-6? I had only heard rumors and "reports". It has a good chance of happening.

We've also been hearing that it might start out as FWD like the MKS and offer AWD, maybe/probably being AWD only in some high-output guise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Has Cadillac confirmed a twin-turbo-6? I had only heard rumors and "reports". It has a good chance of happening.

We've also been hearing that it might start out as FWD like the MKS and offer AWD, maybe/probably being AWD only in some high-output guise.
    Well it's just a concept, and the concept had all of these features. However as a concept those things are subject to change.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    So if the XTS engine will be a plug in 2 mode is there any technology difference between that and what will be in the Volt (other than 6 vs 4 cylinders)? Will the 6 in the XTS directly drive the wheels vs the Volt being a true electric driveline? Did I just answer my own question?

There is an interesting set of numbers to consider at fueleconomy.gov on a relevant vehicle - that was never released to the public.

If you go there and look, there is an official listing for a fwd < modified / simplified > 'Two Mode' 2009 Saturn Vue equipped with a 3.6L V6.

Given the likely weight, the net aerodynamic load, and frictional/mechanical losses for both that Vue and the future XTS, it is most definitely of interest.

The numbers are, under the lower, more conservative 'new' rating system ie current system -

27 City

30 Highway

28 Combined

Given that the XTS comes much later and in spite of the disruptions of the recent past, it is not unreasonable to WAG in a conservative fashion that a ( modified / simplified ) Two Mode or an improved version of it - or a derived Four Mode could match or exceed that while perhaps bringing even more performance and carrying a type of awd.

Or some other highly attractive permutation of that ie more FE and with awd but pretty much the same performance - which has no shame in it because that Vue was more than quick enough for the world we will be in by the time of the XTS.

Then there is the other system mentioned earlier for semi serious large scale deployment.... or lets just say is highly relevant at this point for that point in the future ie the next iteration of the BAS system to consider and yeah, in a much less direct and more approximate way we can look at some other numbers for the Vue and form an approximate range of numbers for a BAS xxx equipped XTS.

On the first one, ie the Two Mode 'whatever', it may be interesting to contemplate something other and smaller than a 3.6...... now that MB is making a 2.143L / 130 CI I4 diesel more than legitimate in an S klasse.

Of course, they could explore getting a higher mpg for less money - just by tryin' to buy or copy that motor - but I digress.

MB will probably be onto the next 'hot' thing in diesels by then so maybe that's not so far fetched - you know kinda' a type of China style 'hand me down' program.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 09-25-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dweller View Post

Thanks for saying all that far better than I could ever have. I am still grieving the loss of the Converj.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

I'd rather Cadillac build an all-electrid Model S-killer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I'd rather Cadillac build an all-electrid Model S-killer.
    That's exactly what I was suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    Thanks for saying all that far better than I could ever have. I am still grieving the loss of the Converj.
    I still have hope that we will see the Converj in one form or another in the future. Consider this, Cadillac seems to be offering a line up very similar to Lexus. FWD based vehicles like the XTS, SRX, and very possibly a large RWD biased flagship. Now that Lexus has a small hybrid based on the Prius I think Cadillac will eventually follow Lexus with their own electric vehicle based on the Volt. However I hope the differences are more than skin deep like the Lexus. A battery with a greater capacity, electric motors in all wheels, and multiple driving modes (economy, performance, etc) would be perfect for Cadillac. In the mean time hopefully we will see Converj design elements in the ATS
    Last edited by PA Dweller; 09-26-2010 at 04:32 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information