Inside the XTS, with Christine Parks. - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inside the XTS, with Christine Parks.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Inside the XTS, with Christine Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    Thanks for that...I did not realize the XTS was to be a plug in! Since GM says the concept was built on a smaller platform than the production version will be, I am clinging to the faint hope that bold proportional and styling changes will be made for what will end up in show rooms.
    No problem, I just hope I got all my facts right. However don't take my words for facts because everything I mentioned is based on the concept and not the production XTS, but I hope the XTS stays to the concepts powertrain. I am dying to see what the production model looks like. For the love of God don't tone down that interior GM. I like the exterior also but I could always go for a more ambitious exterior.
    Last edited by PA Dweller; 06-06-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Finally the power output is going to be around 350 HP through an AWD system, which is a gain of about 40 HP over the regular Direct Injected 3.6L V6.
    Sweet 350 hp with what I would assume would be a significant improvement in mileage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G8tor View Post
    Sweet 350 hp with what I would assume would be a significant improvement in mileage.
    Actually with DI, the available horsepower will probably be higher! If GM does not cheapen or de-content the XTS, it will prove to be a really stellar product. Unfortunately, it may take too long for me however, it is now rumored not to be available until 2012 production.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G8tor View Post
    I would think 32-35 MPG combined would be possible, in my uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    Actually with DI, the available horsepower will probably be higher! If GM does not cheapen or de-content the XTS, it will prove to be a really stellar product. Unfortunately, it may take too long for me however, it is now rumored not to be available until 2012 production.

Maybe it will end up being 10 HP more than what GM stated.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,749 Times in 3,270 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

the 3.6 is already a Di motor in the CTS

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    How is it offensive? You aren't a bigot because you have certain physical preferences.
    The thing is, he didn't say anything about physical preferences. He just said that he won't date Asian women as a rule.

I don't have a problem with other people's physical preferences. But he left it ambiguous whether he meant physical preference, racism, or cultural stereotyping (like "all Asian women nag their partners all of the time" or "all Asian women only rarely have sex" or whatever).

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Insiders said that of the XTS and ATS, the XTS was the "looker", which I find worrisome. Does anyone know when we might see the ATS in "concept" form?
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

The only thing that I really like about that sea of bland tan interior is what is sitting in the driver's seat!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,933 Posts

Unfortunately, it may take too long for me however, it is now rumored not to be available until 2012 production.
    I'm pretty sure NSAP said recently the target is now the fourth quarter of 2011. A little sooner than originally thought.

I hope so. I know it's not everyones perfect new Cadillac, but it needs to get to showrooms as soon as possible.

"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    I'm pretty sure NSAP said recently the target is now the fourth quarter of 2011. A little sooner than originally thought.

I hope so. I know it's not everyone's perfect new Cadillac, but it needs to get to showrooms as soon as possible.

A new Cadillac is needed, now! It is a shame that it was not greenlighted when the Concept was approved, it should have been released as a 2011! The STS and DTS should be retired and replaced by then, especially as the NorthStar engine is leaving production!

Additionally, with the news that Lincoln will be releasing new models, Cadillac may be in for a real fight for customers.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 1,933 Posts

Additionally, with the news that Lincoln will be releasing new models, Cadillac may be in for a real fight for customers.
    Oh, please. You too? One press release from Ford and you're quivering with dread. First, the press release said that there would be a combination of new and "significantly revised" models. Read: Facelifts. I say wait to see what the product is before you start any hand wringing. When Ford announced some 8 years or so ago that the current crop of Lincolns were on their way there was a big flourish and "watch out Cadillac" talk.

The Alpha cars (ATS and its variants, the next-gen CTS) are beyond Fords capabilities at the moment. Even the current CTS has no Lincoln counterpart. The SRX outsells the MKX by very wide margin. The MKT is a flop. Even the Sigma SRX, in its 6th year on the market, racked up more sales than the brand new MKT has since last fall. Ford would have to do a lot of expensive work on the MKS to take many sales from the XTS.

For years I've read the posts of Ford-shills here defending Mercury until their fingers bled. Among the reasons so often cited was the very low cost of keeping Mercury, since the differences between them and their Ford sisters were entirely superficial. Now we're expected to believe that this tiny amount of money, newly applied to Lincoln, will suddenly produce a large new line of Cadillac/Lexus killers? Call me when they get to the showroom.

Last edited by megeebee; 06-12-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Oh, please. You too? One press release from Ford and you're quivering with dread. First, the press release said that there would be a combination of new and "significantly revised" models. Read: Facelifts. I say wait to see what the product is before you start any hand wringing. When Ford announced some 8 years or so ago that the current crop of Lincolns were on their way there was a big flourish and "watch out Cadillac" talk.

The Alpha cars (ATS and its variants, the next-gen CTS) are beyond Fords capabilities at the moment. Even the current CTS has no Lincoln counterpart. The SRX outsells the MKX by very wide margin. The MKT is a flop. Even the Sigma SRX, in its 6th year on the market, racked up more sales than the brand new MKT has since last fall. Ford would have to do a lot of expensive work on the MKS to take many sales from the XTS.

For years I've read the posts of Ford-shills here defending Mercury until their fingers bled. Among the reasons so often cited was the very low cost of keeping Mercury, since the differences between them and their Ford sisters were entirely superficial. Now we're expected to believe that this tiny amount of money, newly applied to Lincoln, will suddenly produce a large new line of Cadillac/Lexus killers? Call me when they get to the showroom.

While I think we're easily years away from having Lincoln as a serious threat to Cadillac, I think a few things are different now versus 8 years ago:

1. Ford has no other luxury brands eating budget that could be spent on Lincoln.

2. Ford is profitable, which means they have more money to spend on Lincoln.

3. Ford has evidently found people who could design. Compare their current lineup and future models with everything on a Ford or Lincoln lot 8 years ago. Everything looks better, in most cases substantially better. The MKT has a polarizing design that isn't working for Lincoln, but other than that they're good. The MKX looks lame, but the 2011 refresh looks good.

4. Ford engines and transmissions are substantially improved. The 2011 Edge and MKX get a 280 horsepower 3.5 liter V6, the 305 horsepower 3.7 liter V6, and the V6 turbo. The new 5.0 liter V8 is competitive or at least close to competitive with the LS3 - Ford hasn't had anything naturally aspirated that could come anywhere close to the LS engines since the LS engines came out.

5. Ford as a company has a better reputation with most Americans than GM because Ford didn't take the bailout. That's a strike against their image they don't have.

So while I agree Ford has no true competitor to the SRX, CTS, CTS-V, or upcoming ATS yet, I expect the game will get interesting in a hurry.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 3,975 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

So if the XTS engine will be a plug in 2 mode is there any technology difference between that and what will be in the Volt (other than 6 vs 4 cylinders)? Will the 6 in the XTS directly drive the wheels vs the Volt being a true electric driveline? Did I just answer my own question?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    So if the XTS engine will be a plug in 2 mode is there any technology difference between that and what will be in the Volt (other than 6 vs 4 cylinders)? Will the 6 in the XTS directly drive the wheels vs the Volt being a true electric driveline? Did I just answer my own question?
    XTS is a traditional hybrid which still has the engine directly to the wheels with an electric motor in the transmission. If I remember correctly it can propel the vehicle on electricity alone for like 8-10 miles at low speed, and it's capable of being plugged in.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 3,975 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dweller View Post
    XTS is a traditional hybrid which still has the engine directly to the wheels with an electric motor in the transmission. If I remember correctly it can propel the vehicle on electricity alone for like 8-10 miles at low speed, and it's capable of being plugged in.
    Thanks!

If GM uses this engine I like their approach of putting it into a Caddy. I don't understand why Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, etc are putting all this high tech stuff into their lower end divisions where people complain about the high price. No one will complain about a $40,000 Cadillac VOLT. I guess to again answer my own question is it because they are trying to make the chassis so light they can't make the Volt good enough to be a Caddy? Such as the Lexus version of the Prius that doesn't seem to be good enough to wear the Lexus badge?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information