GM expands Super Cruise and Mark Reuss Discusses Two-Tier VSeries

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM expands Super Cruise and Mark Reuss Discusses Two-Tier VSeries

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 510 Posts

GM expands Super Cruise and Mark Reuss Discusses Two-Tier VSeries

General Motors is making its Super Cruise hands-free driving system usable on 70,000 more miles of roadway in the U.S. and Canada as it prepares to expand availability of the technology.

Most of the additional miles will be in the U.S., but Canada's availability will significantly increase from the roughly 8,000 miles offered today, according to a map GM released Wednesday.

GM offers the driver-assistance system exclusively on the Cadillac CT6 large sedan. Super Cruise is compatible with about 130,000 miles of divided highways that have been mapped using lidar. The system uses the mapping with high-precision GPS and onboard sensors and cameras to allow hands-free driving.

“Super Cruise is extremely popular with our customers and has earned all kinds of accolades from the press and the tech world. It’s going to get better each year and each generation, just like Cadillac itself and just like General Motors," said GM President Mark Reuss when announcing the increased availability Wednesday at the UBS Global Industrials & Transportation Conference.
    AUTONEWS

Why Cadillac reversed course on V-series strategy

The General Motors brand said it will offer two V-Series versions of the 2020 CT4 and CT5 sedans — one directed to the everyday driver who wants some performance and one that's a more traditional, track-capable model. The strategy marks a change in direction for Cadillac, which has never offered more than one V-Series variant on any nameplate in the subbrand's 15-year history.

"There was, frankly, some people who were intimidated by the cars," GM President Mark Reuss said after unveiling the cars last week. "When we did a V series, they were hammers. … There's some intimidation there."
    AUTONEWS

That goes for price as well as the vehicles' power. The entry-level V-Series package will be priced about $6,000 to $7,000 more than standard Sport trim levels, vs. about $30,000 for a V-Series version of today's Cadillacs. It also will offer different engine options, aesthetics and performance capabilities from the higher-end V-Series counterparts.

Reuss, who oversees Cadillac, said the company is not worried about diluting the V-series name with a lower-performance V-series model because the brand has "established" itself over the last 15 years.

Brand advocates
    V-Series customers, GM executives said, are the best advocates for Cadillac, and expanding that base will help the brand as it continues to launch a new or redesigned product roughly every six months through 2021.
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-06-2019),gkr778 (06-06-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 501 Posts

Re: GM expands Super Cruise and Mark Reuss Discusses Two-Tier VSeries

Expanding the V-series brand to a bunch of wannabees will just weaken the brand, no?
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tripowergto Jan2003 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-06-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,249 Times in 3,499 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by tripowergto Jan2003 View Post
    Expanding the V-series brand to a bunch of wannabees will just weaken the brand, no?
    One wonders why they did not keep the Vsport branding

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-06-2019),Envoy4Life (06-06-2019),richmond2000 (06-06-2019),Rumpole (06-06-2019),ryannel2003 (06-06-2019),tripowergto Jan2003 (06-06-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 609 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I thought about this too. Apparently, it’s clearly diminutive badge next to the real V didn’t impart the proper level of desirability among Cadillac’s customer base. They could have just redesigned the badge to make it look like the V-Series badge and drop a Sport badge behind it.

So, it could be called V-Series Sport, and the “real” V-Series V-Series Track or some such. They are following Mercedes and BMW in doing the same thing with their performance badges (AMG and M, respectively).

I think they had to do this but completely botched the roll out.

So, the question is, going forward, how do they create nomenclature that retains the desirability of V-Series while distinguishing the baby V from top dog V.

They could go to their history where they used to use hierarchal numerical nomenclature. So, for example, the baby V could be V-Series 62, and top dog V could be V-Series 90. Just a thought.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

sledgehammer777 (06-06-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    I thought about this too. Apparently, it’s clearly diminutive badge next to the real V didn’t impart the proper level of desirability among Cadillac’s customer base. They could have just redesigned the badge to make it look like the V-Series badge and drop a Sport badge behind it.

So, it could be called V-Series Sport, and the “real” V-Series V-Series Track or some such. They are following Mercedes and BMW in doing the same thing with their performance badges (AMG and M, respectively).

So, the question is, going forward, how do they create nomenclature that retains the desirability of V-Series while distinguishing the baby V from top dog V.

They could go to their history where they used to use hierarchal numerical nomenclature. So, for example, the baby V could be V-Series 62, and top dog V could be V-Series 90. Just a thought.
    My word, as a car, the Vsport CTS was an absolute perfect execution, it just didn’t get the sales and marketing support

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (06-06-2019),Envoy4Life (06-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,257 Posts

It was a one way ticket to the no posers allowed club. ...Was....

Brand advocates
    V-Series customers, GM executives said, are the best advocates for Cadillac.
    Greed. They want more brand whores sitting in parking lots sipping coffee talking about how bad ass a V is and thusly, are so bad ass themselves. Someone had a spreadsheet with a pie chart that showed them that (see above)

They save money on badges and get more brand whores, a board member's wet dream.

Reuss, who oversees Cadillac, said the company is not worried about diluting the V-series name with a lower-performance V-series model because the brand has "established" itself over the last 15 years.
    This is a god damned travesty, Reuss, the world's biggest yes man.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-06-2019),Envoy4Life (06-06-2019),Mr.Buttons (06-06-2019),ryannel2003 (06-06-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    It was a one way ticket to the no posers allowed club. ...Was....

Greed. They want more brand whores sitting in parking lots sipping coffee talking about how bad ass a V is and thusly, are so bad ass themselves. Someone had a spreadsheet with a pie chart that showed them that (see above)

They save money on badges and get more brand whores, a board member's wet dream.

This is a god damned travesty, Reuss, the world's biggest yes man.
    Its a business

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-06-2019),Robert1969 (06-06-2019),TruckMan (06-06-2019)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,331 Times in 3,298 Posts

Established brands quickly erode if you dilute them instead of protecting them.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (06-06-2019),mbukukanyau (06-08-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,308 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

"There was, frankly, some people who were intimidated by the cars," GM President Mark Reuss said after unveiling the cars last week. "When we did a V series, they were hammers. … There's some intimidation there.
    all "V" / "M" / "AMG" cars SHOULD be intimidating and make you question your ability to EVEN drive it NEAR the limit that is PART of the attraction to them and cars like the 911 / Z06 and Tesla "ludacris" mode
    the cars we got IMHO are SHORT of even a V sport as they look to close to the "regular" versions

Thanks

My word, as a car, the Vsport CTS was an absolute perfect execution, it just didn’t get the sales and marketing support
    So why spend more time marketing it if it didn't catch hold over the past 6 years when U already have a branding that simply can be expanded upon? Not one person I know with a supposed "proper Vseries" is upset about this because the vehicles first introduced last week still live up to the mantra of performance. Now the direct replacements for the current Vseries will simply be next level.

BTW, be prepared to be disappointed if y'all think that the upper level ones are gonna come out with 700hp. It's ridiculous and unnecessary to match our beat my current car. The larger CT6-V damn near outrun my car with 90 less hp and 13 less torque. I could see a 600hp CT5-V absolutely destroying my car and have no issue admitting defeat to a lesser powerful car. We asked for refinement in drivetrain.. And while the LT4 is phenomenal.. I have a strong feeling that the Blackwing is better by a country mile in that regard.
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Established brands quickly erode if you dilute them instead of protecting them.
    Established brands DIE if no one is buying it.

The idea was to save performance at Cadillac before someone said make them rolling sofas again. Reuss, along with Carlisle, made a proper decision to save Cadillac.. that wasn't happening with JDN. Actually.. This could have been JDN's plan all along and someone at GM just didn't like him.. Its as simple as that in the corporate world.. Believe me. And I say that because in his brass tacks interview.. I saw very little in terms of him having issues with the way Cadillac is going. The brand strategy actually reminds me of Audi to be honest. Anyway.. Reuss and Co need sales.. Sales come from appealing product, not what sideline enthusiasts want. That means a rushed ro the market CUV that still looks and feels luxury and competent.. Even if enthusiasts think that it should be running around the Nur'Ring. That means expanding the successful implementation of the Vseries branding into an AMGish business plan, all with entry and top level cars that evoke a great deal of enthusiasm. Vsport wasn't doing it.. It could have been confusing from a visual standpoint. That V on the rear

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 4,316 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Does having a 2.0T and V6 in the Camaro weaken the overall Camaro brand?

And remember, the name Camaro, ZL1, V, V Sport, CT5 are all just labels, they are marketing tools. The first argument to my comment will be that my analogy is poor, the appropriate comparison is building a lesser ZL1. I'm just widening the scope a little. The Camaro as a brand is a performance vehicle, so does having lesser versions for wannabees, cheapen the Camaro brand? I don't think they do. It puts more of them on the road for people to see how cool they are. I'd only say the lesser versions will weaken the brand if GM does something ridiculous like put 14 inch rims with skinny tires.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 4,316 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

To me having a V and V Sport is more confusing. Just seeing "V" and "V Sport" on paper without knowing what they represent, I'd think "V Sport" would be the MacDaddy one because it has "sport" in the name.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Does having a 2.0T and V6 in the Camaro weaken the overall Camaro brand?

RIGHT!!!

CAMARO . MUSTANG. CHALLENGER.. are PERFORMANCE NAMES. Based on some's analysis.. Chevy, Ford, and Dodge weakened the names by offering non-V8 powered variants for the sake of sales and.. ultimately survival. If I owned a Camaro SS or LT1.. and a guy in V6 Powered Camaro pulled up to me at a stop light,... I should have the right to ridicule and spin dirt on his car as I take off.. a because he's a poser.. and Chevy sullied the name of CAMARO by offering for sale a version of it that had less than 455HP
    Last edited by CMiatso DaBang; 06-06-2019 at 08:41 AM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-06-2019),rougeriver (06-06-2019)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,331 Times in 3,298 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Established brands DIE if no one is buying it.
    So what you're saying is this is a desperation move? And I actually agree. Reuss has pretty much admitted that Vsport was a failure in it's execution and now they are desperately cashing in on the equity in the V Series brand.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (06-06-2019)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information