Fixing Cadillac: what would you do?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing Cadillac: what would you do?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Fixing Cadillac: what would you do?

If you ran the division which changes would you make? New models? Names instead of alphanumeric?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Fixing Cadillac: what would you do?

Make Cadillacs visually bold again, names instead of alphanumeric.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to johnstarnes For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (04-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,412 Times in 4,170 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Bring back JDN.

Names will do nothing to revive the brand, great product that people want is the only way. You can change the ATS's name to "Cadillac Fleetwood Seville Cloudliner Broughm" and the sales volume won't change.

It's all about the right product to rebuild the brand.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-21-2018),AMERICA 123 (04-21-2018),CadillacSA (04-20-2018),dannyg (04-20-2018),JimmyDiablo (04-20-2018),Murrow (04-20-2018),richmond2000 (04-21-2018),Robert1969 (04-24-2018),ryannel2003 (04-21-2018),sfbreh (04-20-2018),supraracer (04-20-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Citroen Activa, Mazda Bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Bring back JDN.

Names will do nothing to revive the brand, great product that people want is the only way. You can change the ATS's name to "Cadillac Fleetwood Seville Cloudliner Broughm" and the sales volume won't change.

It's all about the right product to rebuild the brand.
    I agree.

Cadillac as the glorified Chevy enhancement package (?) or to credibly be GM's 'pursuit of excellence'
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

I would sell it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (04-30-2018)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,144 Times in 4,381 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I would sell it.
    To VW?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

I am really afraid of what they are going to do with Cadillac. I get it that they had these fantastic chassis in the works before JDN (Alpha and Omega) and that JDN was not the end-all. However, I'm afraid of what it means/what it is signaling that they chose to put a GM lifer into the Cadillac hot seat. I just hope their answer is to give us a lineup of cars based on Chevy chassis. Omega dropped for the new gen XTS based on the Epsilon platform..... CT5 based on the Cruze chassis... Blah.

I would've been fine if they got rid of JDN and put another outsider in from another luxury brand.

And yes, I know that is what the CUV's are, but the CUV's seem to have a lower standard and do not define brands in the way the cars do.

I guess I need to put my fears aside and give the new guy a chance. Cadillac needs a long term vision, JDN had that. GM in general doesn't seem capable of doing long term.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (04-20-2018)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

JdN was a strongly-opinionated German who had success at Audi. His approach to Cadillac was to remake it in the Audi mode, instead of bold, daring, brash and technically advanced, as Cadillacs were.
    Advances in Chassis development has brought alpha and omega, advances in infotainment brought us CUE, which isn't an advance. Interiors are better but not class leading. Prices have been raised considerably.
    Sales in the usa have not responded, remaining relatively low, in part because JdN targeted people who won't buy a Cadillac any time soon, while rejecting people who have been buying Cadillacs.
    Does that make sense, to reject actual buyers?
    Does it make sense to get rid of great legacy names and replace them with alphanumerics, that have no intrinsic value?
    Does it make sense to cut warranties?
    Does it make sense to have higher lease rates than the competition?
    Does it make sense to dramatically raise prices when sales are flat?
    Make Cadillac bold, brash and truly American in character and reality.
    1. Give it great names, spacious interiors that are well done, and even bespoke at the top levels.
    2. Bring back full warranties that pamper the owners.
    3. with full warranties, leasing at attractive rates will bring better residuals, which will lower lease costs.
    4. Make base models that are price-competitive, even lower than the competition, while increasing the prices of more luxurious levels. By the way, by improving the cars' image, you will be able to sell them for more!
    5. Include all safety features as standard on all models.
    6. bring in technical advances at reasonable prices.
    7. left and right steering on all models.
    There is much more that Cadillac should do, but these are basics that must be done!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Show-Me For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (04-20-2018),johnstarnes (04-21-2018),Neanderthal (04-20-2018),Rumpole (04-21-2018)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

1. Don't change the naming scheme for a 3rd time in 4 years. It is what it is, stick with it. As mentioned the product will mean much more than the name.

2. Like I said in another thread take Escalade and treat it like Benz treats the S-Class. You have the clear leader in the segment by a wide margin. It's the flagship. It prints cash. Update that thing every couple years. 3 year refresh/6 year reengineer. Keep making it better and stay ahead of the competition. Ride that F'er for all its worth. And for chrissake already throw an LT4 in it, call it a Vsport and charge $120K+.

3. Fix the dealer experience like JdN was trying to do. If not in the rural heartland fine, but at least fix it in the coasts and major metro areas.

Beyond that I can't say I have the answers. GM needs to have the internal philosophical discussion of do they attempt to make Caddy a top tier brand like the Germans and Lexus, with (mostly) unique platforms and powertrains, and hold the line on pricing to elevate it's status? Or do they stick with the old ways and chase volume at a slight premium over the mainline brands, use reworked corporate platforms/parts and basically become another Lincoln/Acura/Infiniti?
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-20-2018),BlackGTP (04-20-2018)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Make models look different from each other.
    What is the pride in ownership of a top (large) model when the smallest model looks so much like it?
    And it doesn't do the owners of the smaller models much of a favor either.
    No one wants to be compared to their bigger (older, size wise) sibling.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,839 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Here's some out of the box thinking...
    How about offering some CUV's?
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

JBsZ06 (04-20-2018)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 669 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    I agree.

Cadillac as the glorified Chevy enhancement package (?) or to credibly be GM's 'pursuit of excellence'
    I hate to admit it (because I previously claimed otherwise) but product isn't enough. Infiniti has some excellent platforms, powertrains, and technologies but no one cares.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

Scrambler (04-23-2018),sfbreh (04-20-2018),SP1966 (04-21-2018)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra SLE/ 2018/ Slate

I am really afraid of what they are going to do with Cadillac. I get it that they had these fantastic chassis in the works before JDN (Alpha and Omega) and that JDN was not the end-all. However, I'm afraid of what it means/what it is signaling that they chose to put a GM lifer into the Cadillac hot seat. I just hope their answer is to give us a lineup of cars based on Chevy chassis. Omega dropped for the new gen XTS based on the Epsilon platform..... CT5 based on the Cruze chassis... Blah.

I would've been fine if they got rid of JDN and put another outsider in from another luxury brand.

And yes, I know that is what the CUV's are, but the CUV's seem to have a lower standard and do not define brands in the way the cars do.

I guess I need to put my fears aside and give the new guy a chance. Cadillac needs a long term vision, JDN had that. GM in general doesn't seem capable of doing long term.
    Cadillac has a great new motor along with chassis refinement and with some incentives might be able to compete and maybe destroy the competition, get away from the 2.0L also.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jesda1 View Post
    I hate to admit it (because I previously claimed otherwise) but product isn't enough. Infiniti has some excellent platforms, powertrains, and technologies but no one cares.
    Image.... Infiniti means nothing, its been around ~30 years and doesn't mean a single thing. Of the Japanese 3 (Lexus, Infiniti and Acura) only Lexus has communicated what they mean, and as a result the only Japanese luxury make that is successful. Cadillac needs to communicate what they mean in the modern world to succeed (along with excellent product). Everyone knows what Cadillac used to mean, but that is a bygone era, how does that translate into a world where much smaller vehicles rule the world?

Selling luxury isn't like selling mainstream cars. Luxury has to project an image to compel people to pay a lot of money for a product that does little more than a Chevy Malibu. I think JDN understood that.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 669 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Selling luxury isn't like selling mainstream cars. Luxury has to project an image to compel people to pay a lot of money for a product that does little more than a Chevy Malibu. I think JDN understood that.
    He (and Melody) tried to sell Cadillacs like high end handbags, with vague imagery and esoteric brand values.
    But cars are a bit different. Even BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi focus on product -- technological achievement, engineering, performance -- tangible (regardless of truth) claims to product superiority.

He knew that Cadillac needed a more upscale image to match the brand's ambitions, especially as a follow up to "Breakthrough" and "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit," but "Dare Greatly" was so far off the deep end no one cared.

I can't fault him for Cadillac's costly design and engineering choices but the flawed, milquetoast messaging falls squarely on him.
    Last edited by jesda1; 04-21-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (04-20-2018),Scrambler (04-23-2018)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information