Could the Cadillac XT6 been a Grand Cherokee or Land Rover Discovery fighter instead

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the Cadillac XT6 been a Grand Cherokee or Land Rover Discovery fighter instead

Thanks

Could the Cadillac XT6 been a Grand Cherokee or Land Rover Discovery fighter instead

WHY DIDNíT CADILLAC GIVE US A BABY ESCALADE WITH THE XT6?

What if Cadillac used the Holden TrailBlazer truck platform to make the XT6 more capable instead of the minivan like platform that is used in the Traverse?

In a time where SUVís and crossovers are all the rave, I sat and thought about how mundane the Cadillac line-up is when it comes to substance. The XT6 already looks like a lame duck compared to its cross town rival with the addition of it new Aviator (boy is it a know out). Being a Cadillac loyalist I canít help but to look at the XT6 as......gutless. It has no soul and no passion. Itís a.....minivan sans the sliding doors. I couldnít help but to wonder what would have happened if the XT6 was based on a midsized truck platform to give it more substance other than just leather, wood grain and shiny chrome. Could the XT6 been able to compete with the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Land Rover Discovery, or sit somewhere in the middle? Even if most performance 4x4ís never go off the pavement I figure it would at least add selling points that would add substance to the product other than .....it being pretty. I donít think such a product would have been hard to produce because GMís Australian arm already have the platform under the Holden TrailBlazer. Sure, itís a couple of years dated but an upgrade in technology, sheet metal and interior and it could have been a worthy example of brand engineering. Besides, Cadillac is on a mission to be an international brand and the TrailBlazer in its current form is already an international product. The Holden TrailBlazer has the same wheelbase and also has a third row. Itís off road capable and it would place it more in line with its big brother the Escalade. While the Escalade is a haul monster, it would leave luxury off-roaring to its little sibling, while the rest of the crossovers handle civilian duties. That way, Cadillac SUVís would offer an array of performance oriented vehicles across its portfolio. I donít know much, but I think the XT6 has a huge fight on its hands and just having a crest on its nose wont be enough to command the price. Again.....THAT Lincoln Aviator is a stunner on looks alone(inside and out).

The picture is a small rendering I did to at least TRY to help the XT6, to see how the TrailBlazer would look in Cadillac duds.
    Last edited by Pellz; 02-11-2019 at 07:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Re: Could the Cadillac XT6 been a Grand Cherokee or Land Rover Discovery fighter ins

What if Cadillac used the Holden TrailBlazer truck platform to make the XT6 more capable instead of the minivan like platform that is used in the Traverse?
    FWD/AWD platforms are more popular for such vehicles. The point of vehicles like the XT6 is comfortable transportation. A FWD/AWD platform allows for more interior volume in a vehicle of a given size.

"Capable"? Of what? When was the last time you saw an Escalade driving up the side of a mountain? You'll never see an Aviator doing that.

Also, it was faster to use the Platform selected. Tooling the factory was faster and far cheaper.
    Last edited by megeebee; 02-11-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

4. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (02-12-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Could the Cadillac XT6 been a Grand Cherokee or Land Rover Discovery fighter ins

I think that type of off-road focus might fit better with GMC. In fact, handled correctly, GMC could arguably be a lot like Jeep and Land Rover just with the advantage of a full size pickup in the line. But, at least for now, that isn’t to be. I could see Cadillac sporting a G-Wagen type vehicle as a stand alone offering were their something to base it upon within the Chevy brand. Right now there isn’t anything like that at GM though, so......
    Last edited by SVT74; 02-11-2019 at 07:15 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (02-11-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    FWD/AWD platforms are more popular for such vehicles. The point of vehicles like the XT6 is comfortable transportation. A FWD/AWD platform allows for more interior volume in a vehicle of a given size.

"Capable"? Of what? When was the last time you saw an Escalade driving up the side of a mountain? You'll never see an Aviator doing that.

Also, it was faster to use the Platform selected. Tooling the factory was faster and far cheaper.
    ...but the tooling for the Holden Trail Blazer already exists also. It's nothing more than a Colorado. The BMW X5, Rang Rover, or G Wagon barely sees dirt, but their capability are their selling points. The Escalade is hauler. Its selling point is how much it can tow in comfort while providing a sense of luxury.

".....you'll never see an Aviator doing that..." THAT'S THE POINT.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    .... I could see Cadillac sporting a G-Wagen type vehicle as a stand alone offering were their something to base it upon within the Chevy brand. Right now there isn’t anything like that at GM though, so......
    You don't think the Holden Trailblazer is rugged enough to fill that slot?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,430 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

I don't think its a fit for the brand

Would rather a RWD biased AWD model with limited off road capability than something like this

I honestly think it wouldn't be doing Cadillac any favors to use such a budget platform
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (02-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    I don't think its a fit for the brand

Would rather a RWD biased AWD model with limited off road capability than something like this

I honestly think it wouldn't be doing Cadillac any favors to use such a budget platform
    You may be correct, but a 3 row van without sliding doors probably wont be a brand savior either, especially with that nice Aviator coming down the street.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,375 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    I think that type of off-road focus might fit better with GMC. In fact, handled correctly, GMC could arguably be a lot like Jeep and Land Rover just with the advantage of a full size pickup in the line. But, at least for now, that isnít to be. I could see Cadillac sporting a G-Wagen type vehicle as a stand alone offering were their something to base it upon within the Chevy brand. Right now there isnít anything like that at GM though, so......
    Agree, except don't think a G-Wagen would ever do much for Cadillac's image and be more of a distraction that it's worth, GMC would be a better brand for the clean styling of a G-Wagen, if GM ever made one and it could demand the price premium and complements the brands other offerings.

GMC does not make cars, Jeep does not make cars, Land Rover does not make cars and Range Rover does not make cars either.

That is why Jeep and Land/Range Rover have the Off-Road Identities they have, you can never cloud the image with cars.

Cadillac's XT6 should be focused at the other brand of JLR - Jaguar and is why Cadillac/GMC should mimic Jaguar/Land Rover's SUV lines where Jaguar focuses on Luxury/On Road performance and Land/Range Rover focuses on Luxury Off-Road performance.

Do not understand why everyone makes this so difficult, it is as easy as watching the sunrise.

Cadillac needs an E-Pace and F-Pace competitor along with a Macan and Cayenne one if Cadillac is ever going to be taken seriously in the Luxury Performance SUV segment, same as GMC needs a Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer (rumored) along with a Discovery and Range Rover line of competitors.

All can be derived from the same architecture that will need to be strong to provide the performance levels needed and be equipped with the required high tech features demanded by premium luxury buyers, GM is really missing an opportunity to create a very strong "Brand" with Cadillac/GMC Performance Luxury SUV's.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,255 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    Agree, except don't think a G-Wagen would ever do much for Cadillac's image and be more of a distraction that it's worth, GMC would be a better brand for the clean styling of a G-Wagen, if GM ever made one and it could demand the price premium and complements the brands other offerings.

GMC does not make cars, Jeep does not make cars, Land Rover does not make cars and Range Rover does not make cars either.

That is why Jeep and Land/Range Rover have the Off-Road Identities they have, you can never cloud the image with cars.

Cadillac's XT6 should be focused at the other brand of JLR - Jaguar and is why Cadillac/GMC should mimic Jaguar/Land Rover's SUV lines where Jaguar focuses on Luxury/On Road performance and Land/Range Rover focuses on Luxury Off-Road performance.

Do not understand why everyone makes this so difficult, it is as easy as watching the sunrise.

Cadillac needs an E-Pace and F-Pace competitor along with a Macan and Cayenne one if Cadillac is ever going to be taken seriously in the Luxury Performance SUV segment, same as GMC needs a Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer (rumored) along with a Discovery and Range Rover line of competitors.

All can be derived from the same architecture that will need to be strong to provide the performance levels needed and be equipped with the required high tech features demanded by premium luxury buyers, GM is really missing an opportunity to create a very strong "Brand" with Cadillac/GMC Performance Luxury SUV's.
    And through the mist, a voice of reason emerges.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pellz View Post
    ...but the tooling for the Holden Trail Blazer already exists also. It's nothing more than a Colorado. The BMW X5, Rang Rover, or G Wagon barely sees dirt, but their capability are their selling points. The Escalade is hauler. Its selling point is how much it can tow in comfort while providing a sense of luxury.

".....you'll never see an Aviator doing that..." THAT'S THE POINT.
    Do you really thing that platform is capable of the refinement expected of a Cadillac?
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,946 Times in 1,801 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    Cadillac needs an E-Pace and F-Pace competitor.
    E-Pace competitor? I think the XT4 is close enough to be Cadillacís E-Pace competitor. Itís 8Ē longer than the Jag with about 2.5Ē more WB, but I could certainly see people cross shopping them. Btw the Jag is shorter but is quite heavy compared to XT4. The Jag can be priced well into the $60K Range, but a (likely inevitable) fully optioned 300HP + V-Sport/V Series will likely be north of $60K also.
    Last edited by SKH; 02-11-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Do you really thing that platform is capable of the refinement expected of a Cadillac?
    That I’m unsure of, but the same question was probably asked about the Tahoe and Yukon platform also, yet look how popular the Escalade is. That’s a pretty cheap platform and it rake in lots of sales for the brand.

On another note, I test drove a CHEVROLET Colorado not to long ago and was very surprised how car like it drove. A little tuning here and there and I think it could work.....unless the mini van thingy is what Cadillac is going for these days. ����*♂️
    Last edited by Pellz; 02-12-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

Why haven't they made the Colorado into another Trailblazer at least?

They must believe it won't sell or will just steal sales from the Tahoe.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 609 Posts

Cadillac will never break through with the hardcore meth lord demo without something like this in the line-up:

http://www.rezvanimotors.com/tank-x-gallery
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,303 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

IMHO a full frame mid size SUV is NOT a good product for CADDY EX one based on a pick up
    a spot of delorean time
    the Omega plan should have been stillborn and Zeta should have gotten upgrades beyond VF and that would have converted into a SUV that offers CUV interior space being unibody and RWD + V8 engine size support
    and AWD was "hardened" into ZETA at the design stage

the Colorado based BLAZER would be interesting or a GMC "Jimmy"

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information