Cadillac changes the name of CT6 Vsport to CT6 V

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac changes the name of CT6 Vsport to CT6 V

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 724 Posts

Cadillac changes the name of CT6 Vsport to CT6 V

The next V from Cadillac is a badge engineered CT6 Vsport.

This is the kind of insulting move one would expect from a career guy at GM. See that the most desired Cadillacs are the V versions, and start slapping V onto anything with a lot of horsepower. This, I predict, will cheapen the V badge and make it less desirable.

This car was not engineered to be a V. It was engineered to be a Vsport. And though Vsports are great high performance vehicles, they are not designed to be the penultimate luxury high performance cars. That is why Cadillac invented the Vsport badge in the first place. And the CT6 Vsport simply was not engineered to be that car. It is likely a great high performance car. But it is not a V. Long term consumers of the V cars will notice the difference, and likely be disappointed that it is not the world class track beast of lore.

But you can see why Cadillac fired JDN, and it is for all the wrong reasons. JDN would never have slapped a V badge on a Vsport. Only a career GM guy would so insult the intelligence of their customers by badge engineering a V. They miss the whole point as to why V’s are so desired by their customers.

They are desired because they are the pinnacle of Cadillac performance. Vsports are a notch below that. Cadillac’s wealthiest customers know that. In order to squeeze another ten grand from their customers, GM just took, however small, the first step in diluting the desirability of the V.
    Last edited by Robert1969; 09-19-2018 at 07:09 PM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (09-19-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Cadillac changes the name of CT6 Vsport to CT6 V

WAHLLLLL...That will make everything better! Oh dear lord I have been waiting for this day, this brilliant move from GM Brain(less) Trust! Thankkkk yewww Jay-zusss!!!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (09-19-2018),Rumpole (09-19-2018)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,162 Times in 3,962 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

The Chevrolet salesman strikes

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (09-19-2018),Robert1969 (09-19-2018)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,326 Posts

So? "Just paint it redder than a baboon's ass."
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Every new story about Cadillac just serves to make me more certain. Cadillac is no longer interested in chasing tier 1 luxury status and the crossover revolution provided the perfect way out. Every crossover on a mainstream, volume fwd platform? V Sport models standing in for legit V cars? I think infiniti, Cadillac, and Lexus are all tired after a decade plus of trying to unseat BMW and Mercedes with little to no success so, with the crossover boom providing the perfect excuse to stop trying, they are taking it. Again, just my two cents. But I would argue that the writing is on the wall.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Buick Regal 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    But you can see why Cadillac fired JDN, and it is for all the wrong reasons. JDN would never have slapped a V badge on a Vsport. Only a career GM guy would so insult the intelligence of their customers by badge engineering a V. They miss the whole point as to why V’s are so desired by their customers.
    First and foremost. Cadillac did not fired JDN. It was GM, that fired him. A big difference.

Calling the CT6 V-Sport to CT6-V is a dumb move.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to johnls_39 For This Useful Post:

Robert1969 (09-19-2018)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Bummer.....the headline had me hoping it signaled a change to a real name.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnls_39 View Post
    First and foremost. Cadillac did not fired JDN. It was GM, that fired him. A big difference.

Calling the CT6 V-Sport to CT6-V is a dumb move.
    Yeah, sorry. I mispoke. Or mistyped.

And yes, the name change is dumb. There are two sub-brands that do great for Cadillac, and those two sub-brands are Escalade and the V-Series, and they are as good as, or even better than the competition in those segments. To water that down just to squeeze your customers for another 5-10 grands is not only dumb, but possibly immoral.
    Last edited by Robert1969; 09-19-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

The original V criterion was under 5 second 0-60, which I suspect this car will do. This isn't like the SS and GTO performance collapse to cosmetics in the 70's. M and AMG did not make BMW and MB the top mass-produced luxury cars in the minds of the public. Car enthusiasts are a tiny part of the market, and most of them can't afford or aren't buying luxury cars.

They have much more knowledge of what types of all cars are selling and why people buy them than we do. For medium to large cars, I doubt the existence of track-capable cars helps sales or the image of the company.

I am pleased they are giving signs they will stop trying to imitate BMW--few of those customers/fans will buy an American car, period--and they're losing a large sector of the high priced car market chasing those young, urban buyers.

Future Cadillac trims will likely be: Luxury(base), Sport, and V, with Premium Luxury and Platinum branching off.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    The next V from Cadillac is a badge engineered CT6 Vsport.

This is the kind of insulting move one would expect from a career guy at GM. See that the most desired Cadillacs are the V versions, and start slapping V onto anything with a lot of horsepower. This, I predict, will cheapen the V badge and make it less desirable.

This car was not engineered to be a V. It was engineered to be a Vsport. And though Vsports are great high performance vehicles, they are not designed to be the penultimate luxury high performance cars. That is why Cadillac invented the Vsport badge in the first place. And the CT6 Vsport simply was not engineered to be that car. It is likely a great high performance car. But it is not a V. Long term consumers of the V cars will notice the difference, and likely be disappointed that it is not the world class track beast of lore.

They are desired because they are the pinnacle of Cadillac performance. Vsports are a notch below that. Cadillac’s wealthiest customers know that. In order to squeeze another ten grand from their customers, GM just took, however small, the first step in diluting the desirability of the V.
    Where's the source of your information?
    6 speed transmissions are the future

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 576 Posts

IF this is real, all they did is remove the "sport" moniker from the V. Perhaps you're overreacting?
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoney View Post
    GMI has an article up on this that cites Road and Track. (I provided a link below) I agree with an earlier stated summation that the CTS V-Sport will be plenty fast. That said, it won't rival the performance of BMW and Mercedes rivals by any means. Once again, Cadillac is very obviously signaling that they are no longer interested in being a direct rival to BMW and Mercedes. How this isn't already a major topic of discussion here I don't know. This is the story vis-a-vis GM right now.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/article...ucket-q1-2019/

Quote Originally Posted by tripowerGTO
    IF this is real, all they did is remove the "sport" moniker from the V. Perhaps you're overreacting?
    I get why he is so wrapped up in this. Imagine if GM made it clear that they were no longer interested in Camaro competing with Mustang or Corvette competing with 911 from a performance perspective. The V cars will still be plenty fast, but if they are moving down to where V-Sport lives they won't be anything like M or AMG fast. Whether seen in a good or bad light, this is a big deal. It signals that Cadillac is changing course IMO.
    Last edited by SVT74; 09-19-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    GMI has an article up on this that cites Road and Track. (I provided a link below) I agree with an earlier stated summation that the CTS V-Sport will be plenty fast. That said, it won't rival the performance of BMW and Mercedes rivals by any means. Once again, Cadillac is very obviously signaling that they are no longer interested in being a direct rival to BMW and Mercedes. How this isn't already a major topic of discussion here I don't know. This is the story vis-a-vis GM right now.
    No one will give this thread much thought as long as the original post is written so poorly.
    https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...ticles-217625/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (09-19-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

It will not surprise me if CT4 and CT5 both begin production in 2019, but they don't want to announce it because the replacement models for ATS and CTS will have similar sizes but lower price ranges, which would make it hard to sell current inventory. In fact, I expect the CT4 before the CT5 for this reason.

The V models will come later. The CT6-V keeps the line alive until then.

Does anyone know if they sell the ATS-V in China or any non-NA markets? I suspect they have stricter speed limit enforcement in China.

The R&T article says the ATS replacement will be smaller, but we've already seen the CT4 will be the same size. It will likely be marketed & priced against smaller cars than the ATS was.
    Last edited by ral1960; 09-19-2018 at 10:37 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ral1960 For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (09-19-2018)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMoney View Post
    Besides the article referred above, Cadillac’s website already has updated the the CT6 Vsport page to CT6-V:

https://www.cadillac.com/future-conc...es/ct6-v-sedan

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information