Superchargers, TVS Blower vs Centrifugal, A Comparison

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Superchargers, TVS Blower vs Centrifugal, A Comparison

Supporting Vendor Mallett Performance Cars's Avatar
    Thanks

Superchargers, TVS Blower vs Centrifugal, A Comparison

Hi guys. We get a lot of questions about our Colorado/Canyon supercharger kits. We thought it would be a good idea to put a little information out there.
    This isn't intended to be terribly technical, but it shoul give some insight into our design decisions.

So here goes. What's the main difference between our kit and our competition? The blower itself. We use an Eaton TVS blower. Here it is...

Doesn't look like your typical blower...because it's not. Your typical centrifugal blowers take too long to spool up...
    They just don't make the power down low. In fact, centrifugal sett-ups often make LESS power than stock at low
    RPM because it takes power to drive them, even when they're not generating boost.

The TVS blower works in a completely different way. It works like an air pump, not a fan. It builds boost as fast as the throttle blade opens on these trucks. That means zero lag. It also has a much wider operating range, so you're not just making power at 4000+rpm, you're making it at idle. You push the pedal, you have the power. 300 horses
    to the rear wheels at 2700rpm. You wont get that from any other blower.

Our TVS blowers also run at a lower internal speed and have a bypass valve, so they take less power to drive and can essentially be "disconnected" when you're not on the throttle (it takes approximately one horsepower to drive the blower when its bypassed). The increased low-end torque and decreased parasitic loss is the reason we gained miles per gallon in our CARB testing.

When we look at the way the transmission shifts, the way these trucks are used, and the overall driving experience, the TVS blower was the only option.

Get in touch here, through the website, or by phone with questions. A little rambling to explain why we do what we do.

www.MallettCars.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Superchargers, TVS Blower vs Centrifugal, A Comparison

Ok, a little follow-up...We were looking at this in the shop. Thought some people would be interested. This is our kit (GREEN), vs a centrifugal blower (BLUE) vs stock (RED). We drew the
    centrifugal data by hand to illustrate the differences. Again, I don't want to get too technical here. Just illustrating some points.

First let's look at the stock curves for reference. You know how your stock truck feels, how it shifts, etc. You probably drive around all day between 1200 and 3500rpm. Maybe sometimes you
    confuse the transmission and it struggles to find the gear you want. Keep your driving in mind as we look at the other curves.

Now let's look at our curve (GREEN). The torque curve jumps from zero to 275lbft between 2000 and 2250rpm. That's how long it took the throttle blade to go from zero to 100% after the
    operator stabbed the pedal. From there, the torque curve is pretty flat. We hit 300lbft at 2700rpm. 310 at 4000. Maxxed out at 5000rpm. The point is that our blower makes a lot more torque
    than stock at all times. It really helps the transmission as well, since you've got enough torque to GO even if it's in a taller gear than you'd like. It has the torque, so it doesn't have to shift and
    rev to get there.

By contrast, the centrifugal curve(BLUE) doesn't make torque down low. 3000 to 3500rpm is pretty flat. It looks like the operator is rolling into the pedal. Looks like the throttle blade hits 100%
    at 3500rpm. torque then climbs linearly from 3500 to 4000rpm. That's the centrifugal lag we talked about before. Compare to the stock curve, Its making LESS torque than stock! 300lbft of torque doesn't come until well past 4000, almost 4500rpm. Torque and horsepower look good after that, but we were never concerned with the top end.

That's the best explanation I can give in text. Its all about low-end torque. You have to drive the truck to really understand it, but you can see pretty clearly where the gains are here.

www.MallettCars.com
    Last edited by Mallett Performance Cars; 04-26-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,046 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

No question your supercharger setup is superior. Thanks for the details on how and why.

I'd imagine the install is pretty straightforward.

Installed what would you say this power upgrade would cost?

Seems like it should be a big hit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    No question your supercharger setup is superior. Thanks for the details on how and why.

I'd imagine the install is pretty straightforward.

Installed what would you say this power upgrade would cost?

Seems like it should be a big hit.
    The kit is $6900. It comes with a detailed color manual. Install at our shop in NC is $1200, which is also what most dealers are charging to install our kit as well. Send me your e-mail to [email protected], I can email a copy of our manual if you would like to see what is involved installation.
    Last edited by Mallett Performance Cars; 04-29-2017 at 08:29 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 554 Posts

What series TVS?

I had a TVS1900 on my 2005 GTO and now have one on my G8 GT. Great blowers. Last 50k miles with the blower have been completely trouble free.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    What series TVS?

I had a TVS1900 on my 2005 GTO and now have one on my G8 GT. Great blowers. Last 50k miles with the blower have been completely trouble free.
    We use TVS 1900. We have installed hundreds of them never had an issue. Really like the TVS1900!

Thanks

More to come! Our ZR2 is being built on the 30th. Stay tuned for an option 2 supercharger. 500 HP of warranty voiding fun!

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information