GM Inside News Forum banner

Why Pontiac?

7K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  Hitman1970 
#1 ·
Why PONTIAC GM why must you just let the brand die and let the red headed step children get the chance to be sold this company is still promising sell the brand let it live do not kill it give it the chance to survive it deserves it do not kill it while its heart is still beating thats all i ask for.........I would love to own a brand new PONTIAC one day.

#3 ·
It won't do any good.

But if you start a petition, send it to the White House. They're calling the shots.

#4 ·
Yeah, like they will care. Only thing the GM is good at is ignoring it's potential customer completely. They are good at failing the buyers. They did it once with Oldsmobile, they thought it was super cool to lose bunch of their loyal customers so they met togather and said, 'Hey, why don't we piss off Pontiac fans this time. continue our tradition of kicking out our potential customers, it will be fun and cool at the same time, we have our baby Chevy, so others are not important for us.'.

It's not unusual for these clowns to make these kind of non-sense. They are famouse for it now. Don't be surpriced they will cut Buick next, pissing off ITS customers and left with only their baby, Chevy.

They think they are having fun murderring their bloodline, so let them kill themselves.

Our solution? simple. Leave them alone and shop elsewhere. That's what they want us to do. They obviously haven't learned anything with the mistake of killing Oldsmobile and want to repeat the mistakes for the self destruction.

I suggest the least we can do, though they won't even care, is to write them a letter, send them E-mail, give them the link of all the net polls, create a rant site(I did, well, even though it's more of a rememberance and tribute site, on my sig) and stuff and let them know, what we, the consumers, and loyal Pontiac fans think. I bet there are non-Pontiac fans who think it is a mistake as well, killing Pontiac. I don't think it's only the Pontiac fans whom are angry about this mis-judgement. Though I maybe wrong. After work today, I may actually write a letter(sarcastic, but polite in a way) and mail it out since they sent me the letter, I can mail it out to the address listed as the GM HQ.

#32 ·
If they only understood what Pontiac was truly about and limited it to G8, Solstice and G6 Convertible.
So what if it'll only sell a couple? Most if not all Pontiac dealers also sell GMC and Buick, those can be the volume brands.

#8 ·
I believe it is because Pontiac has no real assets of its own (beyond the brand). It's dealer network is mostly shared with other GM brands (unlike Saturn). I don't think it has any exclusive products or factories (like Saab and Hummer).

There just isn't very much to sell.

#10 ·
I'll add one caveat. If sold it needs to be sold to preferably American ownership. If not Australian or British owners wouldn't even bother me. If sold to a Chinese, Korean, Indian or Russian company it would be even worse than outright death. I would not buy from a foreign owned Pontiac (save UK or AUS)

Our only recourse is to NOT buy GM. It's the only message we can send, anything else they won't give a rats arse. :(

#14 ·
They will not sell Pontiac. Repair parts business will be lucrative for years and the name and rights are still valuable. They will sell plants and equipment, but the name and parts business will stay with GM. I believe that is what the group of dealers wanted to buy, name, trademark, and parts, not the actual manufacturing plant of cars.

#15 ·
After reading some of these posts one would think GM has plenty of money in the bank and is killing a profitable brand. Folks, GM is bankrupt. If not for 2 Presidents the company would have been liquidated 6 months ago. Pontiac is dead, have been for years. Think about it, what does Pontiac stand for? Not what we want it to stand for (performance) but what does it actually stand for? I can't tell you and I am an enthusiast and a GM fan. What do you think the average buyer thinks of when you say Pontiac? My guess is rental cars.

#17 ·
GM has done it's best at dumbing down Pontiac the past few years from killing off all of it's legacy names like Grand Prix, Bonneville, Grand Am (etc) to slapping on split grilles and calling Aveos and Cobalts Pontiacs. And that ludicrous "Pontiac is Car" marketing slogan (What the heck was wrong with "We Build Excitement!")
It was surely an inside job to dismantle this once great division. It posed too much threat in regards to jealous and more numerous Chevrolet dealers who feared that their sales would be cannibalized. And most surely GM would NEVER let go of Chevrolet (no, it will go down with the ship if that were the case).
I think that those over 40's (boomers) will think of Pontiac as the once-performance division of GM. Those generation X-ers and so-forth will consider Pontiacs simply differently styled Chevrolets (which they obviously are not interested in buying either).
And just to change the subject a little- what do most people think of when you ask them about Buick? "Old person's car". The new LaCrosse is NOT going to change anything.

#19 ·
lol, I've never seen a rental Ford before. *end sarcasm* :D

Why Pontiac? Because "Buick" is somewhat of a hot commodity (apparently) in China....a large growth region for GM.

I wonder if Pontiac had made the Rendezvous, and Buick had the Aztek......if Buick would be the one on the chopping block. The Aztek almost single-handedly "killed" the Pontiac brand image to a lot of folks.

#24 ·
Sometimes dead is better,Pontiac hasn't been hitting on all 8cyl's for sometime now. It was the best GM management could do for the brand.

#25 ·
show your lack of support by buying a Ford

#29 ·
I like the "optimism" of those who seem to know the answer for everything. Truth be told, Pontiac's worst enemy was Chevy! If the name and trade mark for the brand was soldn and the brand reestablished in the market place, there is a very good chance Chevy and possibly GM will become lost cause. For the sake of another brand, Pontiac was consistently starved to death of core product. Just think of the possibilities....... the brand could very well become GM's worst enemy.

#30 ·
To any of you who want to sign the petition, I have made it on my new site at:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/pontiactrib/index.php?showtopic=28

Just go in and type 'Signed' or something like that. Both members and guests can participate. Also, PLEASE, if you are not going to sign, or only intended to post offensive, abusive message because you are happy about the decision or what not, please ignore it. Cause I have seen those kind of people posting those on my other sites way back for the ones I opened for all the guest to.

I already mailed out a letter of complaint to GM yesterday, and if the petition turns out OK, I will be sending this as well, either by printout or the link. It's the least we can do though GM will just laugh about it.

Pontiac is dead, but if we still have the soft spots left in our hearts, I think we should do something at least to show them that we still care and support our once favorite brand.

I did not post the petition here, for I know most of the members here are heavily Chevy based, and are glad that Pontiac is dead, but since I know there ARE Pontiac fans who post here, so....

#34 ·
GM killed Pontiac a long time ago. When they couldn't decide what Pontiac should stand for. When the replacement vehicle could not match the previous vehicle in sales looks or performance(GRAND AM VS G6). When they botched the GTO (OVERWEIGHT OVERPRICED AND UNDERSTYLED). The killer was the interduction of the G5 and the G3.

#39 · (Edited)
Are you? Management would've been ignorant to preserve a fading brand with falling sales, and that was draining research, development, and advertising dollars. Dropping Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn, and Saab was the most sensible decision management has made since it dropped Oldsmobile. Even with Pontiac's only two good products, the Solstice and the G8, dealers were unable to even reach the low volume sales targets. The consumer of today no longer associates "Pontiac" with "excitement." A Pontiac today is just a rebadged Chevrolet.

#41 ·
My God, you sound like every other Import TOONer fan that comes in who only listens to what he hears on TV and tries to pretend he knows everything. If you're around long enough, you'll find all the other threads that will illustrate why you're in the wrong.

#45 ·
Anyhoo WHY??????????

Cause some dumb non car nut beancounter genius decided that storied and reviered names like Bonneville, Grand Prix, Grand Am, Trans Am etc. etc. were worthless to other yuppie APPLIANCE buyers that favor toyoyo/hunda and other SOULESS import toaster brands. That genius figured if he gave Pontiac a soul-less alphabet name others like him would follow........................

Instead NOBODY came and goodbye Pontiac !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#47 ·
You made a point that's already been shut down in other threads, you're just not able to read. It's that nobody wants to waste their time on you... other than to laugh.

#48 ·
You're hanging around and whining. You know it's true, you know the point is true, and management knows it's true. Instead of just crying around about the facts, go off to another thread. Clearly, you don't have the maturity of even a sixteen-year-old, you can't put forth an argument, you know Pontiac was a junk brand, and you just want to throw a tantrum.

Grow up and learn some better insults than "TOONer." It's like you ripped that off a PBS kids' show. But that would explain the quality of your arguments.

:rolleyes:

I've seen enough threads of people agreeing about Pontiac needing to be shutdown.

Sorry, man, you lost this argument two pages back, along with the 25% drop in that GTO's market value with the Pontiac brand being axed.

#52 ·
They ruined Pontiac the momment they discontinued the Trans Am, rebadged Toyotas and Holdens and Chevys, made the Aztek and slapped meaningless letter names to there cars. And few of the younger set will agree but removing all the exterior ribs and cladding to produce boring plain foreign looking cars did no good either. I liked the fact that my parents 01 Bonneville had a rear spoiler, slight ribs below the bodyside molding, coke bottle pinched sides and a slightly kicked up rear end. That really set it apart from the stodgy LeSabre even though both were FWD only car lines. I have been to numerous Pontiac shows the past 5 years and these exact words were uttered by so many folks that I lost count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.